X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University - 2017-2018 season - thread numero uno

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    I didn't think back game by game, but I think I have it figured out - when Greenway comes to play, the team plays well. When he is uninspired, the team plays like crap. I don't know which is the cause and which is the effect, but there is definitely a correlation.
    Agreed but add that still way too many penalties and giving up 3 goals in 15 shots ain't great.

Comment

I kinda hope they focus on things that went wrong last night in practice this week (if they have practice this week - do they?) even if there wasn’t much wrong. I feel like they have a game like this and then they immediately get complacent and the next game is crap. Maybe if they pretend this game was crap, the next game (which I know isn’t till January) the next game will be good!

That being said, it was fun to walk out of Agganis last night. That hasn’t happened in a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Northeastern beats you one way only, power play. They could be the most dangerous Hockey East team in that regard. But if that's what this league is hanging its hat on, don't think it's gonna end well. The expected top three teams in the league have been a total flop.

Setting up for a great Hockey East title game though where potentially only the winner represents league in NCAAs.
        Northeastern played well enough to beat BC, but took advantage of a complete lack of discipline on the part of the Eagle players. They took what you gave them.
        Also, doesn’t the regular season winner assure them selves of a spot in the NC$$ tournament along with champion at the Garden?

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
          Also, doesn’t the regular season winner assure them selves of a spot in the NC$$ tournament along with champion at the Garden?
          No, only the HE tournament champion at the Garden gets the NCAA auto bid.

Comment

Originally posted by meauxmo View Post
            Agreed but add that still way too many penalties and giving up 3 goals in 15 shots ain't great.
            I am a bit concerned about Oettinger. Earlier in the year, I thought he was being hung out to dry and but still playing really well. I think it has taken its toll mentally and he is giving up some that a player of his caliber ordinarily would not. I know Kieran Millan wasn't as skilled as Jake, but he had a great freshman year, horrible sophomore year, and bounced back to be pretty good his last two years. I don't know how long he will stick around, but Jake only just turned 19. Incidentally, one of those goals last night was just a mental mistake, he came too far out past the post against that wrap-around and kept sliding out, taking himself out of the play.

Comment

• Originally posted by HHound View Post
              No you foo’!!!

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                I am a bit concerned about Oettinger. Earlier in the year, I thought he was being hung out to dry and but still playing really well. I think it has taken its toll mentally and he is giving up some that a player of his caliber ordinarily would not. I know Kieran Millan wasn't as skilled as Jake, but he had a great freshman year, horrible sophomore year, and bounced back to be pretty good his last two years. I don't know how long he will stick around, but Jake only just turned 19. Incidentally, one of those goals last night was just a mental mistake, he came too far out past the post against that wrap-around and kept sliding out, taking himself out of the play.
                The Kieran comparison just isn't there. Kieran had a "great" freshman year with an all-world defense in front of him - all six of those players have been in the NHL with over 1,250 games played between them.

That said, I agree that Jake's really struggled at times and a good portion of it has been the debilitating breakdowns in front of him - though some of those chances he stopped with ease a year ago. Like you said, Jake literally just turned 19 so he's very mentally underdeveloped. That first goal last night you mentioned is a great example of his season thus far, he got himself out of position by sliding too far to his right, but then Kotkansalo skated right into him and took him completely out of the play. A combination of an incredibly stupid defensive play and Jake making a small fundamental mistake.

Though the defensive breakdown bug that has plagued this group all season still showed its head last night on multiple occasions. Three guys overpursue the puck on one side of the net below the goal line on a dump - one guy doesn't cover his man on the opposite side, one guy doesn't cover his man in front of the net, Lowell has an easy as pie, uncontested bang-bang play for a goal that Jake would only get by sheer luck. Later on a penalty kill, Kasper rotates too far down low to cover a man not in scoring position, leaves the UML guy open at the point to walk in with the puck and tee up an uncontested slap shot from the circle. We've seen far too many times this season where our good play on the offensive end hasn't rendered the results it did last night, but those same defensive miscues lead to easy goals and frustration on our side. You have to play with the same level of defensive smarts and commitment for all 60 minutes, and right now there are still glaring holes in that nightly.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                  The Kieran comparison just isn't there. Kieran had a "great" freshman year with an all-world defense in front of him - all six of those players have been in the NHL with over 1,250 games played between them.
                  Of course a comparison to Kieran can be made. He was better his freshman year. He had an awful sophomore season. Oettinger had a better freshman year and he is struggling this season. If Jake sticks around, I am guessing he will rebound and have better junior and senior years. I didn't say Millan is as good as Oettinger. I also would not be surprised if last season's top six defensemen end up playing more games in the NHL than the top six from '09 do.

Comment

An update before the holidays, still some of the blank jerseys and five of the lettered / numbered remaining.
                    Ryan J

EDIT: 12-12-17 - Sold items removed from lists below
                    Photos of all the jerseys posted at:
                    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net/hockey/ncaa/he/bu.html (practice jerseys)
                    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net/hockey/ncaa/he/ (game jerseys)

EDIT: 10-12-17 - Added 10 more practice jerseys, some with very light wear and no repairs
                    EDIT: 10-15-17 - Sold items removed from lists below

Hi all,

I recently received a large shipment of nearly 80 jerseys from BU after they did some house cleaning at Agginis. To the best of my knowledge most of these jerseys have never been worn (except the practice jerseys which are heavily worn / repaired) and date back to the late 1990s and early 2000s. There are brand new still in the bag NIKE jerseys (home and road), a bunch of brand new NIKE home jerseys which have been numbered (most with names) which I believe were made up for the 1999-00 season but were never used and lastly is an assortment of practice jerseys in dark navy, forest green, orange and grey.

All the jerseys are the same pro quality the team wore on the ice by the team during the NIKE era. The ones which have no names/numbers might be a nice jersey to send over to Custom Crafted and have done up with your own or your favorite past player's name/number. These are all posted on Ebay as well (links provided here so you can see the photos), but if someone is interested in them, I can sell for a little less here (with free shipping) since I can avoid all the fees. Just mention you saw them posted on USCHO.

If you have any questions, would like additional photos or would like to purchase one, shoot me an email at info@johnsonsjerseys.net or PM me here. I'll be in Boston and attending the BU v U-Conn game on Friday the 20th. Stop by and introduce yourself if you see me. Always nice to meet other Forum members. (I'm pretty sure I'll be the only guy at the game in a Michigan Tech jersey so I'll be easy to spot.)

Best regards,
                    Ryan J

Number/Name Jerseys
                    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net/hockey/ncaa/hel
                    Complete game ready jerseys for the 1999-00 season, but never used by the team
                    $135 each includes the cost of Priority Mail shipping within the US.
                    Home 2 Bossoli NIKE 56 GI
                    Home 11 Hanson NIKE 56 GI
                    Home 22 Vouri NIKE 56 GI
                    Home 83 Tapp NIKE 56G GI
                    Home 97 Jackson NIKE 54 GI

Blank game jerseys, has "BOSTON" and the Hockey East patch sewn on the front
                    https://www.ebay.com/itm/162800090180
                    $75 each includes the cost of Priority Mail shipping within the US.
                    Home Blank, "Boston" only, NIKE 58G airknit, New in bag
                    Home Blank, "Boston" only, NIKE 58 solid knit, New in bag
                    Road Blank, "Boston" only, NIKE 56 air knit, New in bag
                    Road Blank, "Boston" only, NIKE 56 air knit, New in bag
                    Road Blank, "Boston" only, NIKE 58 air knit, New in bag
                    Road Blank, "Boston" only, NIKE 58G air knit, New in bag
                    Road Blank, "Boston" only, NIKE 56 solid knit, New in bag
                    Road Blank, "Boston" only, NIKE 56 solid knit, New in bag
                    Road Blank, "Boston" only, NIKE 58 solid knit, New in bag
                    Road Blank, "Boston" only, NIKE 58 solid knit, New in bag

CCM/NIKE Practice jerseys, most are heavily worn, but expertly repaired by the team staff
                    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net/hockey/ncaa/he/bu.html
                    $49 each includes the cost of Priority Mail shipping within the US.
                    (There are no numbers on the jerseys, the numbers are just for my reference as I documented the wear on each one)
                    Practice 1 CCM 58G NAVY heavy pilling (neck & sleeves) strap cut out
                    Practice 2 CCM 58G NAVY 10+ repairs, strap cut out
                    Practice 3 CCM 56G NAVY goalie cut, pilling in neck, strap cut out
                    Practice 4 CCM 54 NAVY 30+ repairs, strap cut out
                    Practice 5 CCM 58 NAVY 30+ repairs, strap cut out
                    Practice 6 CCM 58 NAVY 30+ repairs (some large), strap cut out
                    Practice 7 CCM 58 NAVY 20+ repairs, strap cut out
                    Practice 8 CCM 58 NAVY 30+ repairs, strap cut out
                    Practice 9 CCM 56 NAVY 20+ repairs, strap cut out
                    Practice 11 NIKE 54 GREEN 10+ repairs, w/ fight strap
                    Practice 12 CCM 54 GREEN 20+ repairs, strap cut out
                    Practice 13 CCM 58 GREEN 50+ repairs, strap cut out

CCM/NIKE Practice jerseys, lighter wear on these, better overall condition, some still have repairs but expertly repaired by the team staff
                    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net/hockey/ncaa/he/bu.html
                    $59 each includes the cost of Priority Mail shipping within the US.
                    (There are no numbers on the jerseys, the numbers are just for my reference as I documented the wear on each one)
                    Practice 21 CCM 54 GREEN 20+ repairs, strap cut out
                    Practice 22 CCM 58 ORANGE, very good condition, light wear
                    Practice 25 CCM 58 GREY 10+ repairs, strap cut out
                    Practice 38 CCM 54 ORANGE, 20+ repairs w/ fight strap, patch crest
                    Practice 39 CCM 56 ORANGE 30+ repairs w/ fight strap, patch crest
                    Practice 40 CCM 56 NAVY 10+ repairs w/ fight strap, patch crest
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Funny timing (jerseys), as I was just going to post the following:

DQ - bring back the "original" jerseys!!! At least for some games for crying out loud!!! What do you have to lose? Maybe we get a bit of a win streak going with them, like we did in 2009 with the alternates (back before we had 3 regular jerseys per color).
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post

DQ - bring back the "original" jerseys!!! At least for some games for crying out loud!!! What do you have to lose? Maybe we get a bit of a win streak going with them, like we did in 2009 with the alternates (back before we had 3 regular jerseys per color).
                        Amen.
                        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post

I get a tiny twinge of disappointment when I see the same “new 2009” alternates every game.

I guess there’s a rule against it, but I’d also like to see the scarlet at home with visitors wearing whites.
                          Go BU!

Comment

• Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post

I guess there’s a rule against it, but I’d also like to see the scarlet at home with visitors wearing whites.
                            I think that is allowed. We wore red for the opening of Agganis, and i think I’ve seen UNH wear their blues at home.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                              I think that is allowed. We wore red for the opening of Agganis, and i think I’ve seen UNH wear their blues at home.
                              No they didn’t.. They wore the red candy canes (now their apparent regular away jersey) at home the night they dedicated the Jack Parker rink. They wore the red “throwbacks” at Walter Brown when they played the USA Junior team when Eichel was on that team.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think there is a rule, so much as just accepted practice. In addition to the aforementioned specific situations where a team has opted to wear there road jerseys at home, there have been occasions where the road team forgot to bring the right uniforms (or they got damaged in laundry), and the home team has agreed to wear their darks (I don't know if this has happened in a BU game specifically, but I do recall seeing a TV broadcast of a game where this was the case).

How long ago did the NHL switch to using darks at home? 6 or 7 years ago? They used to where whites at home. I have one of those Boston Garden panorama photos in a frame (like you see everywhere down at Fanny Hill Hall) and I always used to ask people if they could tell me what was off about the photo. It has the Bruins vs. Canadiens on the ice. The oddity was that the Bruins were in their Darks, which was very rare at the time (Brickley/Galley/Moog time frame).
                                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Working...
                                X