X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University - 2017-2018 season - thread numero uno

Originally posted by DLG View Post
    What is very disappointing is the lack of jumps forward from players as they go along on their careers
    Agree with most of what you said, but I think this is an overgeneralization. We are three games in, but I see improvement in Carpenter, Harper, Fabbro and Krys (not a big jump, but he didn't look very good at this time last year). There are certainly some players that haven't developed well over the years - Cloonan, Diffley, MacLeod could be recent examples. Greenway is tough to read - I agree with Bomber (Olympics?!), but he has had slow starts before and he still has games where he just doesn't seem to be "on". Hopefully we'll see him be more effective soon (tonight?).
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
      And it's so freakin depressing that a University of this size and pedigree can only get 60 ****ing students to attend a Friday night hockey game in October. Beyond sad.
      I have no idea what happened but they are incredibly disappointing. There's no heart and soul to them.

I suppose sickness would be an explanation for the lineup changes made. Is there a cold/flu bug going around the locker room?
      Last edited by brassbonanza; 10-14-2017, 11:18 AM.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

You guys gotta listen to Bernie's Inside BU Hockey podcast to get the big scoops! And/or join Coach's Cabinet, I suppose, but the podcast is a lot cheaper, haha. As for the lineup changes, I don't know if that is why MacLeod was in the lineup, but the other five defensemen were clearly not healthy. I imagine mixing and matching as the game went on was just out of necessity; at one point I thought Hickey shouldn't even be trying to play. Regarding the forwards, I thought Cloonan and Witkowski looked like they were not slowed by sickness. Maybe Curry and Chabot were sick or maybe Quinn is just rotating guys on the fourth line to get everyone some playing time early in the season and see what combo is best. In my opinion, it should be Chabot, Curry, and Phelps (if/when he comes back).

Comment

I thought for sure we would have a BUTogether sighting after than defensive performance last night! I thought Farrance and Fabbro were especially lacking last night. I'm not even talking about Fabbro's own goal. Maybe he was sick, I don't know?

Give some credit where it is due, Minnesota State is a very good team. They also have an early season advantage being much older than BU and more of this team coming back from last year. I think we will still be talking about the Mavericks come NCAA time.

What a NHL start for Clayton Keller! 3 goals in 4 games. Wow.
          Last edited by Tater; 10-14-2017, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• Well there's more effort and speed tonight. But they're just not good right now. Too sloppy.

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
              Well there's more effort and speed tonight. But they're just not good right now. Too sloppy.
              Coaching....should have brought in Sullivan when BU had the chance. 2 Stanley’s!

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                I thought for sure we would have a BUTogether sighting after than defensive performance last night! .....
                he's prolly on the bruins board now....
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  Complaining that the B's don't give their free agents a legit shot, only the kids they drafted.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    RIP. Guess it really was McAvoy. I was so sure Quinn spurned his wife. Disappointing
                    BS UMass Lowell 2015
                    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                      Well there's more effort and speed tonight. But they're just not good right now. Too sloppy.
                      Agreed. The season is long and the freshmen should adapt, but right now, this is not a top 5-10 team. So many mishandled passes. The forwards just aren't in synch in the zone - e.g. one guy will work his but off and send the puck to the net, but but the other forwards are along the boards.

On the coaching, one area that needs work is the PP. They (especially Harper) keep forcing the pass across the middle that is getting deflected if not outright picked off.

Minnesota State looks good.

Comment

• Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                        RIP. Guess it really was McAvoy. I was so sure Quinn spurned his wife. Disappointing
                        Huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          Huh?
                          I think BUTogether used to come in the board saying the team would be better without McEvoy on it or something to that effect.

Comment

What's a bigger concern, the 9 or the 3?
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                              Agreed. The season is long and the freshmen should adapt, but right now, this is not a top 5-10 team. So many mishandled passes. The forwards just aren't in synch in the zone - e.g. one guy will work his but off and send the puck to the net, but but the other forwards are along the boards.

On the coaching, one area that needs work is the PP. They (especially Harper) keep forcing the pass across the middle that is getting deflected if not outright picked off.

Minnesota State looks good.
                              Brady Tkachuk is the biggest culprit in terms of passing. I like his physicality and interest in going right to the net. But he cannot complete a pass to save his life.

They need to do shooting drills, too. They are constantly shooting five feet wide. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing them actually get the puck in the zone and then fire a shot from the point that misses the net by a wide margin, wraps around the boards and out the zone on the other side.

Also, Greenway should be benched on Friday. He was out there with the wrong two linemates, motioned for the proper guy to come in, skated up to the boards in front of the bench, watched his replacement get into the ice and skate away, and then Greenway proceeded to turn around, bend over, and put his stick blade on the ice like he was ready to receive a pass. It was so ridiculously stupid. No idea what he was doing. They scored right away on the power play after that. If Parker had been behind the bench, there would've been a discussion up the hallway during the ensuing kill.

Comment

Mankato is a bad matchup for BU. For one they are an older team with many 23 and 24 year olds and at this point of the season that matters. They capitalize on their chances and arent overly skilled but they play a heavy and solid game and make you earn everything. BU was atrocious on Friday night in their defensive zone. I thought the forwards sunk way too low in dzone and were lazy attacking the puck. I have never seen a team so stationary and complacent in their own end. At one point a Mankato player dumped puck in, went around 2 BU players and then beat the BU Dman to the puck and then drew a penalty hustling...that said it all about that game. Mankata looked like a big boy team and BU looked small and intimidated and thats expected this time of year with a young team again.

Quick notes:
                                -Oetter actually played well despite giving up 6.
                                -Brickley is legit.
                                -Harper I thought played well. Protected puck well and was aggressive in offensive zone.
                                -Tkachuk was involved in pushing and shoving but seemed to do it for looks rather than being actually involved in the plays.
                                -Greenway will never have the impact I thought he would have. For some reason he lacks a certain hockey IQ to read and be in the right spot. He should dominate and he is just good. Hopefully the switch goes off.

All that being said I think BU has more room to improve than Minn St but its a tough matchup. Would love to see these teams match up later in season to see if the gap closes.
                                Last edited by Lemonade; 10-16-2017, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X