• Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University - 2017-2018 season - thread numero uno

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    that was better
    Hooray! We're good again!

Comment

Just a question for anyone who cares to answer. So midway through the first period Krys gets called for "interference." It looked to me (and it was right in front of me - I was sitting in 113) like he landed a solid body check about 0.0000001 second after the Providence player released the puck. So, later on in the period, Hickey is defending inside his blue line where a forward comes flying at him. The guy sort of shovels a "self-pass" (as Jack Edwards would say) around him. Hickey backs off as if he would have been called if he touched the guy. The guy skates right around him, gathers the puck and almost scores.

So since when can you not breathe on someone the second they release the puck? I thought you could check a guy who has just "handled" the puck? Did I miss something somewhere? It seems as though you can't even "finish" a check anymore or they will call a penalty.
      Last edited by chickod; 11-03-2017, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        Just a question for anyone who cares to answer. So midway through the first period Krys gets called for "interference." It looked to me (and it was right in front of me - I was sitting in 113) like he landed a solid body check about 0.0000001 second after the Providence player released the puck. So, later on in the period, Hickey is defending inside his blue line where a forward comes flying at him. The guy sort of shovels a "self-pass" (as Jack Edwards would say) around him. Hickey backs off as if he would have been called if he touched the guy. The guy skates right around him, gathers the puck and almost scores.

So since when can you not breathe on someone the second they release the puck? I thought you could check a guy who has just "handled" the puck? Did I miss something somewhere? It seems as though you can't even "finish" a check anymore or they will call a penalty.
        The Krys penalty was a really, really unfortunate scenario and a loophole in the rules. From my angle on the other side of the rink as well as the replay that was shown, it appears the PC guy never touched the puck. He swiped at it but missed. So by the book, Krys technically checked a guy who never had the puck, thus it's interference. But in practice, your point is totally right - how in the world can Krys know the guy will whiff on the puck and stop what otherwise would be a completely legal hit after he's already begun his body motion. I think the ref has to swallow his whistle on that one.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          The Krys penalty was a really, really unfortunate scenario and a loophole in the rules. I think the ref has to swallow his whistle on that one.
          OK. Well I guess it's understandable if that's what he saw, in which case I would agree that the fault is probably more with the rule than the ref (can't remember if it was Millea). Obviously you had a better view because you were looking across. Since it was up against the boards there was no way I could see that he didn't actually touch it from my side. Thanks.

Comment

3,293 huh?
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

sr 1g-6a
              jr 7g-9a
              so 10g-12a
              fr 5g-9a

Comment

3,293 huh?
                3600 at BC and 2700 for Harvard Yale
                Friday nights have become more problematic for Boston schools with traffic
                However, just continues trend of lower turnout
                Will be interesting to compare tonight BU-NU attendance

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post
                  True. I’ve actually started to head in a couple of times then got towards the Tobin bridge and decided to turn around and head home.

Comment

3,293 huh?
                    No way. I would estimate around 2,200. Given that NO section was "full" and if you figure the "middle six" sections were about 2/3 full and the others about 1/2 half, that's about what you get. I'm sure they're counting "sold" season tickets. I bought one before the game and my entire row was empty (two other people in it) and I was in 113 at center ice. There were NO students above the second row in 118 (OK - maybe 10). 108 was mostly "full," but of course, the band and the top three rows where they have the percussion "table" laid out over the seats wipes out a lot of that section also.

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post
                      I remember Parker telling me he preferred home games on Saturday rather than Friday when I whined about the “longest road trip in college hockey - Boston to Providence on a Friday night.” He felt crowds were better. I don’t necessarily think that’s true, as lately, crowds on both nights have been small. But I have to say, given that it took me close to 45 minutes to drive the 5 miles home after 10pm last night, I can seen people not wanting to deal with the traffic. What the ever loving h-e-double hockey sticks is going on with Comm Ave? Is this still all follow up work from closing that Comm Ave bridge back in August?

Happy to see a shut out last night as it seemed like BU didn’t realize the game started till halfway through the first period. No idea what to expect tonight. I hope they can build on last night’s win.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        What the ever loving h-e-double hockey sticks is going on with Comm Ave? Is this still all follow up work from closing that Comm Ave bridge back in August?
                        Nope, phase two of the Comm Ave remodel from the BU Bridge up to Packards Corner. They're reorganizing the lane structure and parking, redoing sidewalks, adding in trees/plant life/etc. This in addition to the periodic work they still do as part of the bridge construction.

Personally, I think attendance is down because people don't like going to live events nearly as much as they used to. Whether it's cost, traffic, availability of a free stream, or even general security concerns, I don't know. But this is pretty true across the board in almost all sports.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

pretty sure jack knew that the wba capacity was just fine. but the kids needed an upgrade or they weren't coming. a igle bud of mookie's called him when karson gillespie was returning home after overhearing him on the phone. karson was going on and on about haa plans construction and how it was like an nhl rink. recruiting required the new building. it was never going to be filled long term. here or there, sure. even now mookie is getting emails begging people to buy bc tickets in a couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            ...But I have to say, given that it took me close to 45 minutes to drive the 5 miles home after 10pm last night, I can seen people not wanting to deal with the traffic...
                            So I guess Matthews being located on two different T lines isn't all bad. But crowds are down for everything and there's another thread running that has some interesting commentary on reasons why.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

pretty sure jack knew that the wba capacity was just fine. but the kids needed an upgrade or they weren't coming. a igle bud of mookie's called him when karson gillespie was returning home after overhearing him on the phone. karson was going on and on about haa plans construction and how it was like an nhl rink. recruiting required the new building. it was never going to be filled long term. here or there, sure. even now mookie is getting emails begging people to buy bc tickets in a couple weeks.
                              I'd heard a story that BU originally wanted to build a balcony level as part of HAA to bring capacity to ~10-11k but Parker put the kibosh on it because he didn't want to be playing in front of a one-third or one-half full rink every night. 6K does give BU the capacity required to host mid-level concerts that are too small for the Garden, so it provides a nice secondary revenue stream. If they'd built in the 4k range, that wouldn't be an option.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

What a difference a week makes (and opponent.)

*yawn*

For you baseball fans out there. Remember 2015 when the Red Sox neglected to sign John Lester, traded him, and thought they could sign him in the off-season and didn't? Their pitching staff was devoid of an ace. When asked about this, John Farrell said: "I have five number one's." (He didn't.). That's what this collection of forwards feels like. Four number one lines (Not really.). This won't work in the long term. I hope they figure it out.

For Scarlet: I can't believe it took me a season and four games to realize this, but Patrick Curry is #11 and from Schaumburg, IL. Like another #11 from a certain NC team with the same first name as my son. #UselessFactsFor$100Alex

BU Hockey: Need an Identity
                                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X