This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University - 2017-2018 season - thread numero uno

They didn’t get space in MSG this year. The Alumni Association event s at Stout.

Comment

Thank you. I'm undecided on Stout, but it seems like a cool place.
      "What about my asthma?"
      "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
        with a very young team.
        This is not an excuse. This is the strategy, and it is not working.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
          This is not an excuse. This is the strategy, and it is not working.
          Truth. You can and should be expected to win with young teams when you are routinely bringing in the best talent. When BC was winning national titles, always had one of the three or so youngest teams every year.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            You can and should be expected to win with young teams when you are routinely bringing in the best talent. When BC was winning national titles, always had one of the three or so youngest teams every year.
            But the big difference between the BC championship teams was that all of the high-end talent stayed 3-4 years, which created depth and balance across all classes. We saw how BC was affected last season by the glut of early departures, despite returning several impact Seniors.

BU has only dressed 2 Seniors in recent games; however, 1 is a transfer who's new to the program (Melanson) and the other has barely played the last 2 seasons (Diffley). Hickey is injured while neither Olsson, Phelps nor MacLeod can seem to crack the current lineup. Diffley, Olsson, Phelps and MacLeod were all regulars as Freshmen who played out of necessity and were valuable role players; yet none of those Seniors have seen their games improve since then (I'll give Olsson a pass given his injury history). Even Hickey, who is a very solid defenseman, hasn't improved noticeably compared to his Freshman year.

IMO, the lack of development amongst BU's returning Seniors is commensurate with BU's focus with its last 3 classes on recruiting the highest-end talent and prioritizing recruiting over player development. I think (and others would agree) that Quinn is exceptional at recruiting; I also think he's very adept at managing the high-end talent to prep them for the NHL (or AHL in JFK's case ) when they leave BU early. However, I'd really like to see an increased focus on player development, especially of the guys expected to be 4-year players. Make sure those guys improve year after year so that they're playing valuable on-ice roles as upperclassmen to create more roster balance and depth.

Comment

BC only has one senior, a grad transfer. And he's only played in 5 games. So even that doesn't seem like a legit excuse especially when you consider BU is supposed to have more talent than BC.. That is, if David Quinn can actually coach. Something I've never been convinced of.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                But the big difference between the BC championship teams was that all of the high-end talent stayed 3-4 years, which created depth and balance across all classes. We saw how BC was affected last season by the glut of early departures, despite returning several impact Seniors.

BU has only dressed 2 Seniors in recent games; however, 1 is a transfer who's new to the program (Melanson) and the other has barely played the last 2 seasons (Diffley). Hickey is injured while neither Olsson, Phelps nor MacLeod can seem to crack the current lineup. Diffley, Olsson, Phelps and MacLeod were all regulars as Freshmen who played out of necessity and were valuable role players; yet none of those Seniors have seen their games improve since then (I'll give Olsson a pass given his injury history). Even Hickey, who is a very solid defenseman, hasn't improved noticeably compared to his Freshman year.

IMO, the lack of development amongst BU's returning Seniors is commensurate with BU's focus with its last 3 classes on recruiting the highest-end talent and prioritizing recruiting over player development. I think (and others would agree) that Quinn is exceptional at recruiting; I also think he's very adept at managing the high-end talent to prep them for the NHL (or AHL in JFK's case ) when they leave BU early. However, I'd really like to see an increased focus on player development, especially of the guys expected to be 4-year players. Make sure those guys improve year after year so that they're playing valuable on-ice roles as upperclassmen to create more roster balance and depth.
                +1000 I think many of us have expressed those exact same sentiments over the past couple of years. Apparently the people who "matter" aren't listening...

Comment

One would think the coaching staff could handle both recruiting of high-end prospects and developing players on the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                    One would think the coaching staff could handle both recruiting of high-end prospects and developing players on the roster.
                    I think the problem the coaching staff has run into is finding the slots in the lineup to ensure the development of four-year players can occur alongside the high-caliber players like Keller, McAvoy, etc. Of course the players on that top level like Clayton, Charlie, JFK, Fabbro, and Harper saw regular ice time as freshmen, and they deserved it. The problem becomes when he overplays the more marginal freshman contributors such as Bellows last year, Kotkansalo and Crotty this year, etc. it stunts the growth of players such as McLeod, Diffley, Phelps, etc. I've said this before too, it also provides a very unclear picture to those players of what they need to do to get into the lineup. Of course none of us see what's going on in practice so we don't have the full picture, but if I'm McLeod I'm sitting on the sidelines these past few weeks saying to myself what the heck else do I need to do to get a shot? I'm a senior, I'm just as good of an offensive contributor as 26 and 5, I'm more physical, and I do a decent job defensively, and I'm an experienced player. The same goes for him last year as well as Diffley - when our D were out there falling asleep left and right, the same thoughts come up. And giving them one shot in one game then pulling them out of the lineup when he takes one penalty or makes one mistake isn't conducive to growth. I'm happy to see Diffley getting a consistent shot these past few weeks and in general he's done a good job. I don't mean to single out 26 or 5 as being particularly bad, they're not. It's just neither has really provided meaningful contributions that make it clear they must be in the lineup each night, yet they continue to be while one or two senior D have sat, along with not giving Switzer a meaningful chance. I worried Chabot was starting to fall into that category this year a bit in favor of Cloonan, though he seems to have found regular PT and has done well. Him and Curry should both be regulars on the 3rd and 4th lines to add physicality and hustle to counteract the speed of other forwards. Plus it helps them continue their development into what hopefully will be two very experienced forwards by the time they're upperclassmen to play alongside the incoming freshmen.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      I think the problem the coaching staff has run into is finding the slots in the lineup to ensure the development of four-year players can occur alongside the high-caliber players like Keller, McAvoy, etc. Of course the players on that top level like Clayton, Charlie, JFK, Fabbro, and Harper saw regular ice time as freshmen, and they deserved it. The problem becomes when he overplays the more marginal freshman contributors such as Bellows last year, Kotkansalo and Crotty this year, etc. it stunts the growth of players such as McLeod, Diffley, Phelps, etc. I've said this before too, it also provides a very unclear picture to those players of what they need to do to get into the lineup. Of course none of us see what's going on in practice so we don't have the full picture, but if I'm McLeod I'm sitting on the sidelines these past few weeks saying to myself what the heck else do I need to do to get a shot? I'm a senior, I'm just as good of an offensive contributor as 26 and 5, I'm more physical, and I do a decent job defensively, and I'm an experienced player. The same goes for him last year as well as Diffley - when our D were out there falling asleep left and right, the same thoughts come up. And giving them one shot in one game then pulling them out of the lineup when he takes one penalty or makes one mistake isn't conducive to growth. I'm happy to see Diffley getting a consistent shot these past few weeks and in general he's done a good job. I don't mean to single out 26 or 5 as being particularly bad, they're not. It's just neither has really provided meaningful contributions that make it clear they must be in the lineup each night, yet they continue to be while one or two senior D have sat, along with not giving Switzer a meaningful chance. I worried Chabot was starting to fall into that category this year a bit in favor of Cloonan, though he seems to have found regular PT and has done well. Him and Curry should both be regulars on the 3rd and 4th lines to add physicality and hustle to counteract the speed of other forwards. Plus it helps them continue their development into what hopefully will be two very experienced forwards by the time they're upperclassmen to play alongside the incoming freshmen.
                      I think Quinn could have deferred one of the Freshmen D to come next season, which would have ensured more PT for Diffley/MacLeod. However, with 3 Senior D this year, a potential early departure in Fabbro, and only 1 incoming D next year, it seems the coaching staff felt it was a lower risk to carry 9 D on this season's roster and play the 3 Freshmen D regularly. I think the rationale is that the Freshmen D will be more experienced next year when they, along with Krys (and hopefully Fabbro) will be the heart of the D corps.

Comment

I think Quinn could have deferred one of the Freshmen D to come next season, which would have ensured more PT for Diffley/MacLeod. However, with 3 Senior D this year, a potential early departure in Fabbro, and only 1 incoming D next year, it seems the coaching staff felt it was a lower risk to carry 9 D on this season's roster and play the 3 Freshmen D regularly. I think the rationale is that the Freshmen D will be more experienced next year when they, along with Krys (and hopefully Fabbro) will be the heart of the D corps.
                        Agree with virtually everything you have said today. The number of undrafted/4 year players on the roster has never been a problem under Quinn, and has always been in line with the 2009 NC team that fans like to point to as the standard.

The development of the 4 year players, specifically forwards, has left something to be desired. The Carpenter's of the world are crucial, 4 year players who enter as 3rd or 4th liners but add scoring to their game as they grow to become top 6 players, need more of the Roberto, Olsson, Phelps, and Cloonans to turn into that. Next potentials are Curry, Chabot, Crone, Amonte, and Cockerill.

On D, my guess is the plan was Somerby, McAvoy, and Hickey were going to depart the team this summer (at least that is what I expected), so bringing in three 3rd round picks at D would perfectly fill those holes, and you can't really defer someone taken that highly, they'd rather go to a different college than to juniors, so having one extra D this year is much preferable to losing one of them forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
                          Yes. Well there's a "party" at a local bar, I'm not sure that there is a traditional rally IN MSG. The band is playing around 6pm at an "Alumni Pep Rally" and given it's two hours before puck drop, I'm assuming this is it.
                          Registration deadline was apparently this past Friday, but I just registered just fine.
                          (I wasn't planning on going, but I guess I am now lol $15)
                          http://bostonu.imodules.com/s/1759/2...25&calcid=1283
                          Over 200 are going to this.

If anyone is interested in pre-pre-gaming, BU2K and I will be next door at The Blarney Rock until the BU event starts at Stout.

Comment

I kinda miss the Tuesday before Thanksgiving game against Harvard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                Hopefully on hiatus because we play them in first round of beanpot

Comment

Working...
                                X