This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University - 2017-2018 season - thread numero uno

BCeagle, I should also add that the best this year's team has looked was in the first game of the season. We played fast and loose, and it was like wave after wave after wave coming at Union, pinning them back in their zone. It was great to see and it looked like we were good and tough to play against. This was what, 19 hours into the season? The more practice time Quinn has had with the team, the worse they've gotten. That's not a good sign for a coaching staff.

Comment

Also, as BrassBonanza has said several times, the lineup roulette has got to stop. It's like Quinn is sabotaging himself. My reaction to the lineup every night is usually "What. The. !%#$@@#$^" And as I believe it was Friend of BU Hockey pointed out a week or so ago, we don't even have forwards with right and left shots in the correct positions. Seriously. What the **** man. I would extend that complaint to the defensemen, as well. They are always flipped, which makes it very difficult to get accurate shots on net (which is very bad since shots from the blue line comprise a majority of our offense).

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
        BCeagle, I should also add that the best this year's team has looked was in the first game of the season. We played fast and loose, and it was like wave after wave after wave coming at Union, pinning them back in their zone. It was great to see and it looked like we were good and tough to play against. This was what, 19 hours into the season? The more practice time Quinn has had with the team, the worse they've gotten. That's not a good sign for a coaching staff.
        I think I want to see a balance in my opinion. I watch BC play within their system which has its drawbacks too besides advantages.

I watch BC control the puck and pass back and forth all the time but I want to see them shoot more and play with a little more instinct to shoot. Often their shots are blocked and deflected because they take too long to shoot or just take terrible shots that have no chance of going in.

At times, it takes them forever to get a shot on goal in their system. If when you’re limited on offense, you need to get shots on net ASAP and look for rebounds.

I say that because BC is not a come from behind team with their limited offensive talent. Against top teams this season like DU and St. Cloud etc. you need to not only control the puck but score to stay in the game. You can't score if you don't shoot the puck.

Often I feel BC spends too much time passing up good shots on net by making another pass that ends up with no shot on goal and the opposing team starts an odd man rush into the BC zone after intercepting a BC pass.

BC has a tendency to regroup and organize too much in their zone and the problem starts when they cough the puck up from good forechecking which leads to goals and opportunities for the opposing team.

Last night I saw them do that again which led to a UNH goal.

On the pp they’re into their system too much sometimes that they get no shots on goal or just a couple of shots and it ends up they kill their own power play by taking too long to organize rushes and get shots on net.
        Last edited by BCeagle; 11-18-2017, 12:40 PM.
        NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
          But that's what worries me. Given the trend towards academics at the expense of athletics (not that they have to be mutually exclusive), I don't have a lot of confidence that once it goes South it can ever be the same again. Not sure the commitment is there. To me it's more sad than embarrassing. Something is only embarrassing when people make enough effort to be good and fall short. This is more like just "fading away." I'm not even sure anybody in the administration really is losing any sleep over hockey. And if I'm wrong about that, somebody please enlighten me. We all saw what happened with football.

On the other hand, this could be a glass half-empty viewpoint. But in order for that to be proven wrong, "someone" needs to address the issues. I'm not really sure that anybody is "willing" to do that. It's the elephant in the room that nobody seems to want to talk about and I think we all know what I'm referring to. If you're not too sure and/or would like an opinion from an "objective" non-invested source, go read a few recent post-game posts on the Maine thread...

(apparently it's very cold up at Alfond...but nice coat...)
          I mean BU made that pretty clear when they joined the Patriot League and decided to focus on CTE research after disbanding the football team which will, in their eyes, hopefully kill/dent college football to gain a competitive advantage for prospective students, or so a cynic like may ponder. A college landscape without sports, is a college landscape that works favorably for BU. If nothing else, it's all a happy by-product. Let's build the hockey brain bank to finish it all off.
          Last edited by WolverineofTerrier; 11-18-2017, 02:30 PM.
          Boston University '16
          University of Michigan '18

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
            Curry, Cloonan, Chabot, Phelps, Difley, Olsson upperclassmen (4 year projects) who are older and didn't improve
            Even projected early departures like Hickey/Mcleod have not improved
            Cockerill,Crone, freshmen who will stay 4 years

Could argue of projected 4 year players only Harper and Bobo have stepped up
            Hickey has improved, and may have been our best player when he got hurt. He did have a sophomore swoon, but he has played well the last two years.

Diffley has played less and less each year. He had a solid freshman year.

Cockerill is going to be a good player, maybe better than that. Crone? We'll see?

Curry and Olsson are grinders, who have not improved. Phelps is no better than a defensive forward.

I still have hopes that Chabot can be a very good bottom six contributor.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
              Also, I can't imagine a situation where Brady Tkachuk is still on this team come January. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fabbro and Krys leave, either. If a miracle happens and Greenway is picked for the Olympic team and has a good tournament, why would he bother coming back for the last few weeks of the season.

David Quinn has really put the program in a perilous position, in my opinion. If recruits see someone like Tkachuk, a top of the top draft pick, and other top round picks (Bowers, the defensemen, etc.) play so poorly and not show any signs of improvement, and see the team as a whole **** the bed like this, what incentive do they have to want to play here? Quinn's system only works if we get the best recruiting class in the country every year because we need to replace so many players with freshmen that are so talented, they can come in and play and contribute immediately. If the recruiting dries up because players suck here and don't develop, then all we have for a team is a bare cupboard with a coach who can't coach. It really is a house of cards here. Maybe pessimistic and a little too soon but if this happens again next year ....
              Could you be anymore cynical? I mean, seriously???

As for Tkachuk, he has been on the top two lines and the power play. He gets loads of ice time, and chances every night.
              He hasn't produced because he either wasn't ready for the step up, or there are things like vision and using his teammates that need to be improved.

We are six weeks into a seven month season, with a very young team. Jeez.

Comment

This is not a banner year for Hockey East. Is there a really good team?
                Northeastern has a solid offense, questionable defense and goaltending. Are they the best? Right now, maybe. But they are not special.
                UNH got off to a good start, but have fallen back to earth.
                BU, BC, Lowell, Providence all mediocre, at best.
                No one is that good this year.

The frustration at BU is the Terriers should be better.

One area where I would point to the coaching ... BU is rarely ready at the start of games, and too often has had to play from behind without a cohesive offense.

Comment

• Two shocks in one day:

1. Federer loses in Masters tennis.

2. Cloonan sits tonight.
                  if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Is Olsson in hurtsville or mooksville?
                    It Happened!!!!

Comment

BU’s power play might be infinitesimally better if they could manage to win a face off at the start of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WolverineofTerrier View Post
                        I mean BU made that pretty clear when they joined the Patriot League and decided to focus on CTE research after disbanding the football team which will, in their eyes, hopefully kill/dent college football to gain a competitive advantage for prospective students, or so a cynic like may ponder. A college landscape without sports, is a college landscape that works favorably for BU. If nothing else, it's all a happy by-product. Let's build the hockey brain bank to finish it all off.
                        I’m not sure I follow the logic. Overall the patriot league was a step up from America East both athletically and also in aligning ourselves with schools “more like” BU as far as academics and admissions.

BU cut football because of money essentially, and yes, I’m sure they don’t feel bad about it given the research being done about brain injury and the affects of repeated hits to the head. Do you really think their research is part of a conspiracy to help gain an advantage for attracting students.

Not to mention that good academics and good athletics are not mutually exclusive. Across the river our rowing team is more nationally competitive than ever and is posting better academics than ever before as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          BU’s power play might be infinitesimally better if they could manage to win a face off at the start of it.
                          They have been pretty good on faceoffs this year, particularly Bobo. Check the stats. At least at home they have generally been very good.

Comment

Inexplicable...

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              Inexplicable...
                              Youth / Maturity

Comment

• We not as bad
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X