Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Boston University - 2017-2018 season - thread numero uno

Re: Boston University - 2017-2018 season - thread numero uno

Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    Thanks for posting. Wow, some names I forgot about. Myron definitely jumps out as having made a bad decision.

I'm almost positive Kole was not drafted, but he was signed right after the draft by Columbus. They brought he and his older brother in for a "tryout" or something, and Kole left with an offer right after the draft. We heard at the roundtable that summer that because he was not drafted, it made signing much more of an attractive offer. I don't remember the details, but it was some sort of issue with how the agreements are with the CHL, NHL. IIRC, he also progressed tremendously after he committed to BU, and they were going to have to move him up if they wanted to keep the NCAA as a viable option for him (which the coach said they were likely going to do).
    Myron apparently had a problem with the concept that power play time had to be earned.

You're correct about Kole Sherwood not being drafted. In fact, according DQ, BU tried to convince a number of NHL teams to draft him in the final round, so his rights would be secured and no one would sign him as a free agent. Didn't work out.

Also, I'm pretty certain that Sahir Gill's departure was over academic issues (as was the case with Fortunato), not the coaching change.
    Last edited by Rogie21; 01-08-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Lots of really good points by brass, Friend, and bothman in this conversation. I think Phelps is a perfect example. He was brought in to be a 4-year guy. Good player, but not likely a flight risk. But with so many recruits every year, he hasn't been a regular starter in the lineup. Is his lack of contribution the effect or the cause?
    It's probably somewhere in between cause & effect. I had heard during his Freshman year that he was regarded as someone who could move up the depth chart w/ more experience - similar to Matt Lane. But then last year I heard from another source that they felt Phelps might have been better off playing 1-2 years in the USHL prior to BU, that he came in as a barely 18 year-old as a byproduct of DQ rapidly revamping the roster and BU needing bodies at the time.

Super Serial

Lots of really good points by brass, Friend, and bothman in this conversation. I think Phelps is a perfect example. He was brought in to be a 4-year guy. Good player, but not likely a flight risk. But with so many recruits every year, he hasn't been a regular starter in the lineup. Is his lack of contribution the effect or the cause?

If Chabot wasn't injured during his extended absence, then I think that is a perfect example of the problem. He was very good at his role last year - An older (experienced) 4th liner that could be counted on to make smart plays, stay out of the box, etc. Why would he be benched for such a long period of time?
    Didn't know Chabot was injured. I'd asked the Freep multiple times through Twitter where he was and they just said he was "out." Never responded, nor reported, that he was injured - tough to harp on student journalists but they've been a bit behind the game this season in their coverage. If that's the case then it's a completely different story. But him and Curry both seem like the kind of players who can be developed into solid contributors as upperclassmen in a Luke Popko/Cason Hohmann kind of role, but need the requisite ice time and consistency to be able to get there.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

Opposite Girl

Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    Didn't know Chabot was injured. I'd asked the Freep multiple times through Twitter where he was and they just said he was "out." Never responded, nor reported, that he was injured - tough to harp on student journalists but they've been a bit behind the game this season in their coverage. If that's the case then it's a completely different story. But him and Curry both seem like the kind of players who can be developed into solid contributors as upperclassmen in a Luke Popko/Cason Hohmann kind of role, but need the requisite ice time and consistency to be able to get there.
    That's not how I took what defkit said. I think he meant "well, if wasn't actually injured, then him not playing for no reason is an example of the problem."

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    That's not how I took what defkit said. I think he meant "well, if wasn't actually injured, then him not playing for no reason is an example of the problem."
    Correct.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Super Serial

Correct.
    Ah OK, I misread it the other way. Same point holds true.

I can't help but notice that no one has commented on Switzer's season-ending injury. Maybe that's why his father hasn't been posting much.

Super Serial

Quote Originally Posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    I can't help but notice that no one has commented on Switzer's season-ending injury. Maybe that's why his father hasn't been posting much.
    Hadn't heard.

Blackhawks!!!

Great discussion. BU is lucky to have such knowledgeable and passionate fans.

Regarding the Xs and Os: I watched a lot of the World Junior tournament and I learned that a player is allowed to gain the zone and skate to the net. If your fast, you might actually beat the D-man and get a shot off.

When they finish up the season under .500, is DQ on the hot seat?

Blackhawks!!!

Oh, and Brown scored 4 goals against Maine tonight.

2016 Hockey East Overlords

To be fair Red decided to bench half of his team for some reason, not exactly the same bunch you all played.

Random perspective: In 1995 4th line forward Kenny Rausch had 12 goals and 12 assists. Loved the 90s.
    Last edited by Jofa; 01-08-2018 at 11:31 PM.

Look at the goalie equipment back then compared to now. Plus goalies are taught differently these days and many coaches are afraid to play an up tempo, skating/offensive game these days.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Look at the goalie equipment back then compared to now. Plus goalies are taught differently these days and many coaches are afraid to play an up tempo, skating/offensive game these days.
    All reasons to have loved the '90's!

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGuru View Post
    All reasons to have loved the '90's!
    total eclipse of the heart!

Blackhawks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    total eclipse of the heart!
    That's 80's. Early 80's.

"Baby One More Time..."

Nick Saban recruiting AND coaching the **** out of college football.

12 and 12 for Kenny Rausch. Does our 4th line even have 12 points combined? (Never mind 24). I know, 90's baby.
    It Happened!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jofa View Post
    Random perspective: In 1995 4th line forward Kenny Rausch had 12 goals and 12 assists. Loved the 90s.
    Walk-on Rausch scored championship-winning goal in the Dec. 1994 Mariucci Classic assisted by fellow fourth-liner Chris Drury (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNcV...eature=channel) and was 1995 Beanpot MVP.

The social ramble ain't restful

Quote Originally Posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    First I've heard of his injury. What's the nature of the injury? Where did you hear/read of this?
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Quote Originally Posted by buoldtimer View Post
    First I've heard of his injury. What's the nature of the injury? Where did you hear/read of this?
    Given Switzer hasn't played this season, I imagine he'd redshirt this season to have 2 years' eligibility remaining. Given that Hickey, MacLeod and Diffley are all Seniors, and Fabbro potentially departing early, Switzer might get some playing time next season.

Next year's D corps might be:

Fabbro (?)
    Krys
    Kotkansalo
    Farrance
    Crotty
    O'Connell
    Blixt
    Switzer

Quote Originally Posted by buoldtimer View Post
    David Quinn mentioned it in the Christmas letter. No details were provided (of course, it is Quinn after all) other than season-ending.

Thread Information