This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
    They have been pretty good on faceoffs this year, particularly Bobo. Check the stats. At least at home they have generally been very good.
    Regular face offs, yes. Face offs to start a power play. Not at all. Face off is list, puck is cleared, they wind up losing about 20 seconds and have a difficult time getting it back in the offensive zone. It’s one of the reasons I hate power plays that split a period. They never have time to do anything because they have no time to.

That being said, that was a good win. They needed that. Heck, I needed that. Huge game next weekend so I hope we don’t see another let down after a good game.

Comment

• Re: Boston University - 2017-2018 season - thread numero uno

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      Youth / Maturity
      Yes. I know. That's not what I meant. I mean it's inexplicable how the coaching does not recognize the problem and/or cannot seem to rectify it.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        I’m not sure I follow the logic. Overall the patriot league was a step up from America East both athletically and also in aligning ourselves with schools “more like” BU as far as academics and admissions.

BU cut football because of money essentially, and yes, I’m sure they don’t feel bad about it given the research being done about brain injury and the affects of repeated hits to the head. Do you really think their research is part of a conspiracy to help gain an advantage for attracting students.

Not to mention that good academics and good athletics are not mutually exclusive. Across the river our rowing team is more nationally competitive than ever and is posting better academics than ever before as well.
        The Patriot League is a lateral move where BU can park its sports and enforce an academic index that will hopefully keep the university from making negative headlines regarding its athletes. The America East versus the Patriot League was not a binary choice for what it's worth; William and Mary FOIA emails revealed that BU was invited to the conference before they ultimately invited College of Charleston and BU went to the Patriot League. Regardless, I do believe BU is happy with the decision because they got to add lacrosse and some full paying high SES kids to fill the giant roster.

BU basically had to drop football because of the gender ratio at BU being 62-38 female, which is an understandable if unfortunate decission. It is almost impossible to make the scholarship offsets work like that if you are doing them based on 2 women scholarships for every 1 male one basically. No, I would not say the research is "a conspiracy," the science behind it is good. The hypocrisy comes in that BU is not creating the NHL brain bank, the women's hockey brain bank and the women's soccer brain bank. Frequency of concussions per "athletic-exposure" is higher in women's hockey and men's hockey then it is for football in the NCAA (article below table 2). In addition, concussion rates are higher in high school and collegiate women's soccer than in football (article below table 3). Having sports is not nearly as important for BU's brand as it is for other high academic institutions such as Stanford, Michigan, Wake Forest, USC, BC, etc. Because of that, it absolutely is a better landscape for BU when college sports, particularly football, are diminished.

Well yes, men's rowing hasn't been negatively effected. First, men's rowing doesn't compete in the PL so the academic index doesn't apply. Second, rowing is a sport of mostly high SES kids that are likely to have high scores anyways. Where you are likely to see the impact of an academic index and the move to the Patriot League are for sports like men's soccer (which was demolished OOC), men's basketball (likely to be demolished OOC), and wrestling (which we dropped).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2987636/
        Last edited by WolverineofTerrier; 11-18-2017, 09:48 PM.
        Boston University '16
        University of Michigan '18

Comment

One armed bandit did reference U Chicago when he dropped football, saying it didn't hurt them
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            One armed bandit did reference U Chicago when he dropped football, saying it didn't hurt them
            He was confusing a 50-yard bomb with the atomic bomb...

Comment

Team Sybil

Comment

Maybe it's a Friday thing. Red Hot Hockey's on Saturday. #Hope
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post

We are six weeks into a seven month season, with a very young team. Jeez.
                  41% of their regular season schedule has been played

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    Maybe it's a Friday thing. Red Hot Hockey's on Saturday. #Hope
                    Two requests for help:
                    1. Which are the BU sections at MSG, I have delayed buying my tickets and TM no longer lists which are BU sections. If I accidentally sit in a predominantly Cornell section, I am 100% going to commit suicide by the second period.
                    2. Was there an invite for the pep rally? I thought I saw one, but can't seem to locate it.
                    "What about my asthma?"
                    "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                      41% of their regular season schedule has been played
                      41% of their season has been played

Comment

Originally posted by SpauldingSmails View Post
                        Two requests for help:
                        1. Which are the BU sections at MSG, I have delayed buying my tickets and TM no longer lists which are BU sections. If I accidentally sit in a predominantly Cornell section, I am 100% going to commit suicide by the second period.
                        2. Was there an invite for the pep rally? I thought I saw one, but can't seem to locate it.
                        BU sections for Red Hot Hockey are 107-110, 211, 214, 216-221.
                        The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          41% of their season has been played
                          Nah, you'll get to host Merrimack or Yukon, win, then lose in Dick's last stand

(Bazin defeats umile in title game in a repeat of the jack parker retirement party)
                          BS UMass Lowell 2015
                          PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                            BU sections for Red Hot Hockey are 107-110, 211, 214, 216-221.
                            Thanks!
                            "What about my asthma?"
                            "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                              I wish we had better reporters at the freep.
                              Welcome to the year 1999 Doc Brown!

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              I really hate to call out the Freep reporters because they're students, but you're right. The coverage this year so far has been sparse.
                              Maybe we can bring back Ariel for some more character assessments of rapists based on interactions at T's Pub.
                              Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 11-20-2017, 08:27 AM.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by SpauldingSmails View Post
                                Two requests for help:
                                Yes. Well there's a "party" at a local bar, I'm not sure that there is a traditional rally IN MSG. The band is playing around 6pm at an "Alumni Pep Rally" and given it's two hours before puck drop, I'm assuming this is it.
                                Registration deadline was apparently this past Friday, but I just registered just fine.
                                (I wasn't planning on going, but I guess I am now lol $15)
                                http://bostonu.imodules.com/s/1759/2...25&calcid=1283

Comment

Working...
                                X