This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University - 2017-2018 season - thread numero uno

Swayman is ineligible next year, he's older than Jake. I thought the whole thing was incredibly puzzling when I learned that too. I'd imagine the goaltending next year is something like St. Cyr, Primeau, and Petruzelli, with the former starting because NTDP. Maybe leave one off for an 18 year old unlike what they did this year.
    Last edited by TheRevengeance; 01-07-2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Not going to talk about the game because the less said the better — though I will say I thought the first period was a really solid period of hockey for both teams before it all went downhill once the second period started. Instead, two quick things....

1.) I was a bit surprised there was no mention or recognition of the players who were back from the WJCs. Are they waiting till Fabbro is back in the lineup?
      2.) An on-site promotion plus scoreboard ad for Liam Neeson’s new movie? First time I’ve seen that. Is there an alum tie in I missed??

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
        Swayman is ineligible next year, he's older than Jake. I thought the whole thing was incredibly puzzling when I learned that too. I'd imagine the goaltending next year is something like St. Cyr, Primeau, and Petruzelli, with the former starting because NTDP. Maybe leave one off for an 18 year old unlike what they did this year.
        The cutoff is January 1 - so it's a purely birth year issue. Next year is for '99s and younger only. Primeau has been great at NU, for a team that has long struggled with goaltending. Tournament starts today he's probably the guy.

St Cyr and Petruzzelli are currently clear backups to sophomores. Either or both could win the job next year, but right now enough PT to win a spot looks like it could be at least an issue for both.

Adam Scheel is a '99 (NTDP alum, now BCHL) who could start as a freshman at NoDak next year. Drew DeRidder (NTDP) is an '00 who could start right away at Michigan State. Top freshman goalies could also start at Minnesota and PC if the incumbent JRs leave early...

---

As for the BU/UK comparisons...

One year UK missed the NCAA Tournament and lost to Robert Morris in the NIT. They didn't scrap their strategy of recruiting top talent and they've been in the title mix every year since. BU will be in the NCAA title mix 8/9 out of every ten years if they continue to recruit like this. All you can ask for is a chance and they'll have them moving forward in spades...

They're hurt this year by unexpected departures like Bellows and JFK. Next year they will return most every upperclassmen outside of Greenway and be much older and deeper. You guys are spoiled. Enjoy the talent and know this is simply a down year. And one with the talent potential to still make a run in he second half...

Two years ago you were in the title game. Last year you lost in OT in a regional final to the national runner up. All with this recruiting strategy. Next year you'll be a favorite. Let's not over react...
        Last edited by Dan; 01-07-2018, 02:55 PM.
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          The cutoff is January 1 - so it's a purely birth year issue. Next year is for '99s and younger only. Primeau has been great at NU, for a team that has long struggled with goaltending. Tournament starts today he's probably the guy.

St Cyr and Petruzzelli are currently clear backups to sophomores. Either or both could win the job next year, but right now enough PT to win a spot looks like it could be at least an issue for both.

Adam Scheel is a '99 (NTDP alum, now BCHL) who could start as a freshman at NoDak next year. Drew DeRidder (NTDP) is an '00 who could start right away at Michigan State. Top freshman goalies could also start at Minnesota and PC if the incumbent JRs leave early...

---

As for the BU/UK comparisons...

One year UK missed the NCAA Tournament and lost to Robert Morris in the NIT. They didn't scrap their strategy of recruiting top talent and they've been in the title mix every year since. BU will be in the NCAA title mix 8/9 out of every ten years if they continue to recruit like this. All you can ask for is a chance and they'll have them moving forward in spades...

They're hurt this year by unexpected departures like Bellows and JFK. Next year they will return most every upperclassmen outside of Greenway and be much older and deeper. You guys are spoiled. Enjoy the talent and know this is simply a down year. And one with the talent potential to still make a run in he second half...

Two years ago you were in the title game. Last year you lost in OT in a regional final to the national runner up. All with this recruiting strategy. Next year you'll be a favorite. Let's not over react...
          True impact upperclassmen skater next year, assuming no unusual departures and Fabbro/Greenway leaving as expected:
          Krys
          Carpenter
          Harper
          Curry/Chabot/Cloonan - borderline impact level depending on how much PT they get

Not exactly loaded. Of course whether Jake can rebound from this sophomore slump will be a component, whether we roll Yahtzee and Fabbro and/or Greenway stays. Most important in my view will be the progression of this year's freshman class into sophomores, but of course the ever-present theme around here of which of them stays and who decides to be the next Bellows and go MJ.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

They were a favorite this year

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              True impact upperclassmen skater next year, assuming no unusual departures and Fabbro/Greenway leaving as expected:
              Krys
              Carpenter
              Harper
              Curry/Chabot/Cloonan - borderline impact level depending on how much PT they get

Not exactly loaded. Of course whether Jake can rebound from this sophomore slump will be a component, whether we roll Yahtzee and Fabbro and/or Greenway stays. Most important in my view will be the progression of this year's freshman class into sophomores, but of course the ever-present theme around here of which of them stays and who decides to be the next Bellows and go MJ.
              I don't think it's a given that Fabbro leaves, but assuming he does that still leaves Carpenter, Harper, Krys and Oettinger (who will bounce back), who will give BU as good an upperclassmen quartet as anyone.

And the biggest jump kids make is between freshman to sophomore year. Tkachuk, Bowers, Cockerill should join the two upperclassmen Fs as, at least, PPG guys. The three FR D should be much much improved...

Finally, you're adding another total haul of a FR class. Farabee shoukd be great right away. Wise, DeBoer and Weiss should, worst case, give you a higher class of role player and could easily be more. Blixt as your 5th/6th D illustrates your depth. Loaded!

I - and I'm sure other HE fans - would love for you guys to be terrible, but objectively that's not going to happen. I think a lot of BU fans are to close to the program and don't realize how enviable their current situation really is...
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                They were a favorite this year
                I know you'd love to see your rival down for an extended period of time and I'm sure you're enjoying it this year - but cmon, you've been a HE fan long enough to know that's not going to be the case and that BUs recruiting is a huge benefit to their program not a detriment...

They were a favorite this year in a toss-up league. The last two years and next year will be different. Lucky for you BC recruits at a high level, too, and will also be in the mix.

Hey, if the BU crowd wants to run Quinn out if town, I'm not going to stop them. So I'll bow out. Carry on...
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                  This makes it even more puzzling why Swayman didn't get a legit look between the pipes as he has been better than both Oettinger and Woll in Hockey East play with a less talented squad in front of him.
                  Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

You simply don't get it zlax (shocker). Once again, Woll was very good in the WJC last year. That was always going to be a factor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      I know you'd love to see your rival down for an extended period of time and I'm sure you're enjoying it this year - but cmon, you've been a HE fan long enough to know that's not going to be the case and that BUs recruiting is a huge benefit to their program not a detriment...

They were a favorite this year in a toss-up league. The last two years and next year will be different. Lucky for you BC recruits at a high level, too, and will also be in the mix.

Hey, if the BU crowd wants to run Quinn out if town, I'm not going to stop them. So I'll bow out. Carry on...
                      They weren't just a favorite in hockey east. I think they were preseason #2. It's just my opinion but i think a lot of BU fans agree. Quinn is a great recruiter but coaching is still a question mark.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        2.) An on-site promotion plus scoreboard ad for Liam Neeson’s new movie? First time I’ve seen that. Is there an alum tie in I missed??
                        No idea, but the film Molly's Game (which is very good) is based on Molly Bloom - the sister of Olympic skier and football player Jeremy Bloom and the cousin of Colby Cohen...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          You simply don't get it zlax (shocker). Once again, Woll was very good in the WJC last year. That was always going to be a factor.
                          You simply don't get it...that was last year and shouldn't the best players be playing?
                          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            No idea, but the film Molly's Game (which is very good) is based on Molly Bloom - the sister of Olympic skier and football player Jeremy Bloom and the cousin of Colby Cohen...
                            Yes. Known about that for a while. Already chatted with Colby about it.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              They weren't just a favorite in hockey east. I think they were preseason #2. It's just my opinion but i think a lot of BU fans agree. Quinn is a great recruiter but coaching is still a question mark.
                              A question mark? That question has been answered. The guy sucks as a coach. I saw a listless and uninterested team out there who looked like they all just met each other on Saturday for the first time as the passing was terrible and nobody was near the net. I was laughing with a couple of fans in front of me at one point in the 3rd period. There was one BU player with the puck in the zone near the blue line and the other 4 guys were whirling around at center ice, and no it wasn't a line change. Unbelievable. Unless Matty O'Connor is in net good luck trying to score from the red line. That's coaching, or a lack of it. There's no cohesion. There's no game plan. There's no pride. Were it not for the one year existence of Jack Eichel, how would we be viewing Quinn's tenure by now?
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Everyone gave Quinn a free pass on the 13-14 season and I am not really sure why. The year before, the team was just on the outside of the tournament bubble and came up one game short of winning the conference. They had some good younger players (Rodrigues and Hohmann, sophomores, Grizz, O'Regan, Ahti, freshmen) who should have gotten better after pretty good seasons in 12-13, and two returning goalies. It should have been easy to have some improvement in 13-14 and make the NCAA tournament but instead the team went 3-15-3 from December 1 to the end of the season after starting 7-6-1 with four wins against teams in the top 15.

With the consistent inconsistency, lineup roulette, not having left- and right-shots on the correct sides of the ice, and the brutal underachieving for the past 2.5 seasons, I have seen enough. This is now his fifth season - for the first time, we can say he has a full roster of his recruits, and this is what we get. I don't donate to the program anywhere near the amount that most of you all do, but I am done until either he is fired or learns how to coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X