• Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University - 2017-2018 season - thread numero uno

we bad
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      Three games in a row out for Hickey, second for Olsson (voluntarily). Are they legitimately hurt or benched?
      I wish we had better reporters at the freep. That way maybe information would actually be ... I don't know ... reported? We also need them to start asking Quinn some tough questions.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
        I wish we had better reporters at the freep. That way maybe information would actually be ... I don't know ... reported? We also need them to start asking Quinn some tough questions.
        I really hate to call out the Freep reporters because they're students, but you're right. The coverage this year so far has been sparse.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Also, I can't imagine a situation where Brady Tkachuk is still on this team come January. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fabbro and Krys leave, either. If a miracle happens and Greenway is picked for the Olympic team and has a good tournament, why would he bother coming back for the last few weeks of the season.

David Quinn has really put the program in a perilous position, in my opinion. If recruits see someone like Tkachuk, a top of the top draft pick, and other top round picks (Bowers, the defensemen, etc.) play so poorly and not show any signs of improvement, and see the team as a whole **** the bed like this, what incentive do they have to want to play here? Quinn's system only works if we get the best recruiting class in the country every year because we need to replace so many players with freshmen that are so talented, they can come in and play and contribute immediately. If the recruiting dries up because players suck here and don't develop, then all we have for a team is a bare cupboard with a coach who can't coach. It really is a house of cards here. Maybe pessimistic and a little too soon but if this happens again next year ....

Comment

I really hate to call out the Freep reporters because they're students, but you're right. The coverage this year so far has been sparse.
            I know what you mean but back when I was a student, the student reporters were still really very good. I mean, there are typos and poor grammar, they use "draw a penalty" when they mean "commit a penalty," etc. On top of them giving Quinn a free pass.

Comment

we bad
              and not in the richard pryor, gene wilder "we bad" way...
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

someone needs to then go and teach up the entire reporting population (professional AND amateur). mookie hears "talk about..." so often he nearly pukes. if professionals can't form intelligent questions on what they just witnessed and look for answers from the players or coaches, how can we expect kids to do so?

use "draw a penalty" when they mean "commit a penalty," etc..
                this can be accurate. all calls are subjective and some draw a whistle from the ref, while others do not.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

0-6 on the power play, two goals against a ****ty Maine team? What a great coach! Meanwhile, a BC team with literally no talent keeps winning. Fire Quinn.
                  I wouldn't say no talent but it is average for a BC team. Don't forget, BC didn't qualify for the NCAA last year but we didn't demand York be fired.

I think every program has its up and down years, so I'm not sure why you think DQ should be fired after being in the NCAAs last year and a good season last year.

The problem is you lost some really talented freshmen from last year and guys like McAvoy early.

BC had the same problem losing a ton of talent from that season 2 years ago.

So I'm not sure if DQ is the problem for BUs slow start this year. It is just hard to keep that continuity from year to year when you lose talent like that.

I'm not happy that BC is not as good as we're used to but I accept it that this is part of hockey and you just have to be patient and rebuild from year to year if necessary.
                  NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Ya "no talent" is hyperbole. But one coach is getting the most out of their talent right now. The other coach, as is usually the case, is not.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      J f c
                      yeah, i gut that,............ tough crowd , some of youze

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Ya "no talent" is hyperbole. But one coach is getting the most out of their talent right now. The other coach, as is usually the case, is not.
                        I also think the difference (besides the coaching) is that BC had better balance during their run. MANY (I didn't say "all") of their top players stayed more than one year. This brought continuity and stability to the program. We don't seem to have that here. Honestly I don't know why for sure (but I have a good idea). It could just be a sign of the times and it's more evident at BU recently because they are always being picked to finish high due to their "top" recruiting classes. So does this mean that BU has brought in more "selfish" players that are only looking to get to the NHL and that BC brought in more "team" players? I don't know. If the roles were reversed TODAY (not eight years ago) and BC had the top recruiting class, would THOSE players stay longer than one year? My guess is no, only because I don't know how you assess that about someone when you are recruiting them, and times have changed, even since a few years ago.

I think we live in an immediate gratification society and people don't feel the need to "wait" to earn what they feel they "deserve." And why should they? We have not taught them that "hard work pays off." We have taught them that if you are a "star" you WILL get the money. So why should they stick around to "prove themselves" when they get drafted at two years old and are essentially guaranteed big money anyway? Why should they risk a career-ending injury when their payday is right around the corner? Seriously.

The problem at BU (as I have stated ad nauseum for about three years now) is that they don't recruit enough of the grinders to balance out their program; players that will stay longer and provide some leadership and continuity over time. I just shake my head at the continuous comments about how people "Can't understand why they are lazy" or "There is no chemistry" when the REASON for this has been repeated over and over. Everyone continues to cite the '09 team but doesn't seem to make the connection that these recent teams are everything that team was NOT. I don't have the answer to "Is DQ a good coach?" Because I think you need the "right" combination of leadership, experience and talent before you can accurately make that assessment. And regarding the comments that he is a "great recruiter," is he? Shouldn't a great recruiter RECOGNIZE that you need BALANCE and not just go after every top player who he KNOWS is going to leave after one year?

I DO fear for the future of the program (as was previously stated) if these issues go unaddressed. As for the person who said (and I paraphrase) "Well, these things go in cycles and the program will come back," well, NO. Things don't happen "by themselves." The law of averages doesn't apply to EVERYTHING. There'a a REASON the Cleveland Browns stink every year...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                          I also think the difference (besides the coaching) is that BC had better balance during their run. MANY (I didn't say "all") of their top players stayed more than one year. This brought continuity and stability to the program. We don't seem to have that here. Honestly I don't know why for sure (but I have a good idea). It could just be a sign of the times and it's more evident at BU recently because they are always being picked to finish high due to their "top" recruiting classes. So does this mean that BU has brought in more "selfish" players that are only looking to get to the NHL and that BC brought in more "team" players? I don't know. If the roles were reversed TODAY (not eight years ago) and BC had the top recruiting class, would THOSE players stay longer than one year? My guess is no, only because I don't know how you assess that about someone when you are recruiting them, and times have changed, even since a few years ago.

I think we live in an immediate gratification society and people don't feel the need to "wait" to earn what they feel they "deserve." And why should they? We have not taught them that "hard work pays off." We have taught them that if you are a "star" you WILL get the money. So why should they stick around to "prove themselves" when they get drafted at two years old and are essentially guaranteed big money anyway? Why should they risk a career-ending injury when their payday is right around the corner? Seriously.

The problem at BU (as I have stated ad nauseum for about three years now) is that they don't recruit enough of the grinders to balance out their program; players that will stay longer and provide some leadership and continuity over time. I just shake my head at the continuous comments about how people "Can't understand why they are lazy" or "There is no chemistry" when the REASON for this has been repeated over and over. Everyone continues to cite the '09 team but doesn't seem to make the connection that these recent teams are everything that team was NOT. I don't have the answer to "Is DQ a good coach?" Because I think you need the "right" combination of leadership, experience and talent before you can accurately make that assessment. And regarding the comments that he is a "great recruiter," is he? Shouldn't a great recruiter RECOGNIZE that you need BALANCE and not just go after every top player who he KNOWS is going to leave after one year?

I DO fear for the future of the program (as was previously stated) if these issues go unaddressed. As for the person who said (and I paraphrase) "Well, these things go in cycles and the program will come back," well, NO. Things don't happen "by themselves." The law of averages doesn't apply to EVERYTHING. There'a a REASON the Cleveland Browns stink every year...
                          Having more good 4 year players supplemented by the high impact players would change a lot for BU. They are relying way too much on guys that are staying 1-2 years at most when they need to focus on getting more talented 4 year guys into the mix.
                          QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                          2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                          2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                          2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                          https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                          https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                          https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                            Having more good 4 year players supplemented by the high impact players would change a lot for BU. They are relying way too much on guys that are staying 1-2 years at most when they need to focus on getting more talented 4 year guys into the mix.
                            Well, obviously I agree. My point was does the coaching staff REALIZE this? I would think the TOUGHEST part of recruiting (getting the TOP players) would be the most difficult, but they clearly have that covered. It's no different than a manager at your job building a "team." If you get all the SAME type of people then you become one-dimensional. Diversity and well-roundedness is usually advantageous. It really makes me wonder if they are "selling" the program (as many have speculated) as "This is your best ticket to the NHL." Because, from a fan's perspective, I'm not interested in that. If anyone is wondering why attendance is down (at least here), THAT'S the #1 reason at least as far as I'm concerned. I'm not interested in becoming an NHL farm team. And if that's what they want, don't expect any loyalty from the fans. I can go watch the Providence Bruins if that's what I care to see. And for those who say, "Well that's the way it is today; you just have to accept it." NO I DON'T. There are many other schools in Hockey East alone who DON'T employ that philosophy. And I don't see them behind us in the standings.

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                              Curry, Cloonan, Chabot, Phelps, Difley, Olsson upperclassmen (4 year projects) who are older and didn't improve
                              Even projected early departures like Hickey/Mcleod have not improved
                              Cockerill,Crone, freshmen who will stay 4 years

Could argue of projected 4 year players only Harper and Bobo have stepped up

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
                                I wouldn't say no talent but it is average for a BC team. Don't forget, BC didn't qualify for the NCAA last year but we didn't demand York be fired.

I think every program has its up and down years, so I'm not sure why you think DQ should be fired after being in the NCAAs last year and a good season last year.

The problem is you lost some really talented freshmen from last year and guys like McAvoy early.

BC had the same problem losing a ton of talent from that season 2 years ago.

So I'm not sure if DQ is the problem for BUs slow start this year. It is just hard to keep that continuity from year to year when you lose talent like that.

I'm not happy that BC is not as good as we're used to but I accept it that this is part of hockey and you just have to be patient and rebuild from year to year if necessary.
                                Sure, I would agree with you if my issue with Quinn was related to the results the team has gotten this year. Unfortunately, my issues with him have extended back 2 and now 1/3 seasons. I vehemently disagree with Quinn's offensive scheme. I can go into it in detail if you want, but I have posted last year a couple times about my specific issues. The other issue is inconsistency from one night to the next. That has been an issue for three seasons. Last weekend was the perfect example - Friday at NU they looked like they were a high school hockey team. The next night they looked like a top 15 college hockey team - very solid, pretty decent performance, UNH never had a chance to win that game. How can you go from nonexistent to pretty good one night to the next, weekend after weekend after weekend, for three years? And no, it is not youth - the 15-16 team had a pretty big (and good!) senior class. At this point, as I believe BrassBonanza said, it is a David Quinn trademark. Incidentally, there is also a late season, February-ish DQ-patented swoon year after year that I am not particularly looking forward to with this team this season.

The fact that this stuff is an issue year after year makes me think there is an issue with the coaching. Either the players don't get his offense, the players are incapable of executing his offense, Quinn can't teach his offense, or Quinn's offense isn't any good. Based on what he has said to me and how he has described it, I think the players are doing what he wants them to. This team in particular may need to get used to it a little more and move the puck faster, but they are doing what he wants as he described it to us, at least. Again, I can go into the details if you really want me to, ha.

I should add that you might look back to last season and see a team that lost in OT one game before the Frozen Four and scoring 3.3 or 3.4 goals per game. Ok, that isn't bad ... except if you consider the offensive talent level on the team. They should have been up around 4.0 per game and probably would have been in the Frozen Four as a result. You really have to have watched the team last season (and this year) to see the issues with the offense. We score very few goals in-system. Most of the time last year, it was Keller or JFK making individual plays using their pure talent/skill rather than working in-system because nothing was happening in-system; a great recent example would be the two goals Bobo scored at home against UConn, which represented our entire offense in that game. To put it succinctly, Quinn's offense takes incredibly talented, fast, skilled players and has them play a possession-based offense that requires them to dump the puck deep, get it in the corners or behind the net, cycle endlessly, keep the puck to the outside, keep it along the boards, push it back up to the point for defensemen to take shots from the point. We have way too much talent on these past few teams to playing a conservative old school offense like this. That works for the 03-04 ten win BU team from my freshman year that was comprised of 4th line grinders. These guys under Quinn should be running and gunning, proper space between players, slinging the puck around the ice. I mean, we routinely have all three forwards with the puck a couple feet away from each other, all below the goal line. The defense can cover them with one or two guys. That leaves three or four guys to block the net so when we get the puck to a d-man on the blue line, there's no shooting lane to the net.

I just don't know if Quinn recognizes the real issues, and even if he is capable of recognizing them, is he capable of making changes? Is he interested in making changes? It's been three years now and nothing has changed. And this is why I think we need a coaching change - it's been three years with no changes, what makes any of us think there will be changes in the future?

Comment

Working...
                                X