Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: POTUS 45.20 - Doddering Dotards Dodging Detente

Teaching you how to Bucky.

Re: POTUS 45.20 - Doddering Dotards Dodging Detente

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    This argues otherwise. The implication is that the Jones Act is a classic colonialist penalty on a captive population. When the Brits did this to us we Tea Partied them.

I doubt Dump did it because they're brown. He rips off white people all the time. I assume TPTB told him "this is how we make our money squeezing these guys" and he said "Understood. But why not just not pay your bills? That's what I do."
    That says what I said. The validity or usefulness of the Jones Act is a political question. But it's not preventing relief one way or the other. PR's small capacity is what it is.

As far as the act itself, of course it can be rolled back. Corporate profits from potentially cheaper shipping will be distributed amongst the people in this island economy. Hooray!
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

WASHINGTON — The Environmental Protection Agency has signed a contract for nearly $25,000 to build a soundproof communications booth for the office of the administrator, Scott Pruitt.

Critics say Mr. Pruitt has gone to unusual lengths to operate in secrecy at the E.P.A., where employees report he is often accompanied by armed guards even inside the agency, and avoids making important calls in his office. He is the first E.P.A. administrator to have round-the-clock security.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/c...imes&smtyp=cur
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    LOL one of the loony Trump minions I know who was all over the Steelers' Villanueva on Sunday just posted "Unbelievable! He's apologizing! SMH." on Facebook. One of the responses said he was forced to do that. SMH? Really now.
    Seems like he was coerced into it. The guy received overnight viral popularity, and now he's throwing it away in an apology? Probably thought he would have been benched or cut.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    MLS and MLS Players Union release statement about anthem protests.

Be interesting to see what happens during tomorrow's games.
    You can kneel if you want. Owners and coaches can still take action. Authoritarian patriots can also flip the station.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Just a boring user.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    That says what I said. The validity or usefulness of the Jones Act is a political question. But it's not preventing relief one way or the other. PR's small capacity is what it is.

As far as the act itself, of course it can be rolled back. Corporate profits from potentially cheaper shipping will be distributed amongst the people in this island economy. Hooray!
    The port in Ponce is bigger than you think. It can deal with two large container ships at the same time. Which is the entire point of the waiver- use the largest ships available to move the most stuff possible to repair as much as possible.

How you can brush that off is beyond me. Unlike Texas and Florida, Puerto Rico has no road to truck stuff down. No convoys of power companies will drive to the islands to rebuild. Ships are it

As Nelson Muntz would say, "Ha, ha!"
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

As Nelson Muntz would say, "Ha, ha!"
    I love how Trump hedged his bets on this - saying the last couple of weeks that he may have backed the wrong guy, etc. You could see this switcheroo coming. It's like Stupid Orwell.

How much do you want to bet the Butch Queen's response to questions about it will essentially be, "President Trump has always respected and supported Roy Moore for Senate."
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I love how Trump hedged his bets on this - saying the last couple of weeks that he may have backed the wrong guy, etc. You could see this switcheroo coming. It's like Stupid Orwell.

How much do you want to bet the Butch Queen's response to questions about it will essentially be, "President Trump has always respected and supported Roy Moore for Senate."
    Poll Trump's supporters in 3 months and ask who he supported. North of 80% will say Moore.

Maybe 3 days.

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    The port in Ponce is bigger than you think. It can deal with two large container ships at the same time. Which is the entire point of the waiver- use the largest ships available to move the most stuff possible to repair as much as possible.

How you can brush that off is beyond me. Unlike Texas and Florida, Puerto Rico has no road to truck stuff down. No convoys of power companies will drive to the islands to rebuild. Ships are it
    I wonder what shape the roads are in? IIRC there is one highway from San Juan to Ponce directly through the center on the island and another that hugs the coast (at least from Ponce to Mayaguez to San Juan). Without them, and electricity, you can't do much.

Given the lousy shape the Island's finances are, would it be a good idea to "take over" Puerto Rico for a bit and get the infrastructure and revenue base up to snuff?

And what about the Virgin Islands??

Mar-a-Lago, we have a problem.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/27/553860...l-for-the-rich

Let the giveaway to the rich continue. Everything about the new Paul Ryan/Trump tax proposal is WRONG. WRONG WRONG WRONG. Brownback didn't have balls this big.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Good for your side. It is important that a party have a farm system to prepare people for higher office. DWS ignored that.

Any bill that cuts the current top marginal rate should be a non-starter. Trickle-down is a philosophy of failure.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Inspired by Actual Events

This is a little trickle over the top of a decayed and corrupted dam holding back a billion tons of hope and change. 2018 is going to be amazing.
    As I've said, D. Trump is the best thing to ever happen to the Democrat Party, as long as we survive him.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

I helped create the conservative gospel of slashing taxes. But virtually everything Republicans say about taxes today is hogwash.

Virtually everything Republicans say about taxes today is a lie. Tax cuts and tax rate reductions will not pay for themselves; they never have. Republicans don’t even believe they will, they are just excuses to slash spending for the poor when revenues collapse and deficits rise. There is no evidence that tax reform raises growth, although it may improve fairness and tax administration. And the Republican idea that tax increases always crash the economy is belied by the experiences after Bill Clinton raised taxes in 1993 and Barack Obama did the same in 2013. The economy grew nicely and the stock market boomed in both cases.

Having helped open the Pandora’s Box of Republican tax cutting, I have tried for many years to close it again. I am trying again now. Bruce Bartlett.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/704464001/

No new ideas on Health Care. No new ideas on Taxes. That entire party is worthless and destroying the United States.

Internet Nutcase

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Good for your side. It is important that a party have a farm system to prepare people for higher office. DWS ignored that.
    "Good for your side"

No, good for America and the world.

Internet Nutcase

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    http://www.npr.org/2017/09/27/553860...l-for-the-rich

Let the giveaway to the rich continue. Everything about the new Paul Ryan/Trump tax proposal is WRONG. WRONG WRONG WRONG. Brownback didn't have balls this big.
    stupid republicans

i'm going to come out and say that I probably don't pay enough taxes. Yes, some stupid righty will say "there is nothing stopping you from cutting a check and sending it to the U.S. treasury". Well instead of doing that, I contribute to multiple conservation organizations (Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument, Natural Resources Council of Maine, Maine Coast Heritage Trust, Downeast Lakes Land Trust, Maine Farmland Trust, Access Fund, etc), which I view as additional tax that I _need_ to pay. I'd have no problem paying additional federal taxes on top of this, but only if that is combined with a massive reduction in defense spending. Having a few people volunteer to do so isn't going to fix it, everyone needs to pay more (well, maybe not everyone, but at lest anyone making over 100K). Even proposing tax cuts is irresponsible right now.

Kings affiliate
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Seems like he was coerced into it. The guy received overnight viral popularity, and now he's throwing it away in an apology? Probably thought he would have been benched or cut.
    Nice spin job Flaggy.

Teaching you how to Bucky.

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post

I doubt it's bigger than I think as I've been there.

It's less than 2 days from Port Everglades to PR by cargo ship. It's 1-2 days to offload, depending on the shape things are in there. So what, that takes at the most 6 ships to handle Ponce 24/7? There are 40 to 50 thousand US flagged cargo ships, plus Sealift Command has hundreds just waiting around. We can stuff 10,000 containers in Ponce in less than a week, no problem. That's IF it's operating at peak. But then what? Can they handle them from there? There's a lot more to the logistics then available ships. A lot. All this not withstanding the fact that they are using mostly barges anyway, (which there's no shortage of either) probably because they can jam them in on any accessible wharf space in San Juan.

The waiver has nothing to do with the ability to re-supply PR. It has to do with US (and probably PR) politics. "Trump is screwing the brown people again!" I'd add it's not ol' John McCain's first day in the political saddle.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

That is what happens when you are the head of an Agency that you are fundamentally trying to destroy...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Thread Information