This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.20 - Doddering Dotards Dodging Detente

Let me use this analogy. Trying to start out farming, without that "head start" of having land would like trying to start a brewery, but if the brew kettles cost $10,000,000 to buy. Sure, you can rent a brew kettle, but there are only so many brew kettles in the world, and they're all being used, so rent would be very high. So high that you'd end up losing money on the beer that you brew.

The reason farming is different is because of land, the actual dirt. There is only so much of it in the world that is tillable and productive. It is a very limited resource, so it is very expensive. If you don't have it, you can't farm, and if you aren't wealthy, you can't afford to buy it.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Well duh. Paul Ryan sold out the day after the election. He wants his tax cuts and his entitlement destruction and Trump is the man to get them!
      whenever I hear Ryan talk he sounds like a dumb *** trying real hard to pronounce all his "big words" right so that he can sound smarter than his dumb *** friends

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Let me use this analogy. Trying to start out farming, without that "head start" of having land would like trying to start a brewery, but if the brew kettles cost $10,000,000 to buy. Sure, you can rent a brew kettle, but there are only so many brew kettles in the world, and they're all being used, so rent would be very high. So high that you'd end up losing money on the beer that you brew.

The reason farming is different is because of land, the actual dirt. There is only so much of it in the world that is tillable and productive. It is a very limited resource, so it is very expensive. If you don't have it, you can't farm, and if you aren't wealthy, you can't afford to buy it.

first we have a government take over of farmland and protect it from development (this is a limited valuable resource, it shouldn't get converted into subdivisions because the developer/landowners can make a **** ton of money that way vs struggling with farming)
        then we lease it out cheap to people that want to farm it
        problem solved, anyone with the desire can get into farming -- you don't have to win the birth lottery

(I'm not really being serious here. I'm okay with farming being a multi-generational family tradition. But I actually donate money to preserve farmland in Maine and also make it more affordable for people to get into farming, there are people out there that _really_ want to start farming but they didn't win the birth lottery -- it's better they end up with the land when an old farmer retires vs some developer or rich ******* that has no intention of farming the land)
        Last edited by BassAle; 09-28-2017, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Jesus.

The Department of Homeland Security intends to monitor the social media accounts and internet search history of legal immigrants as part of a new tracking system set to roll out next month.

The policy applies to not just immigration applicants, but also to naturalized U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents. It goes into effect on Oct. 18, the same day that the latest iteration of President Donald Trump’s travel ban is set begin.

First reported by BuzzFeed, the new rule was quietly published in the Federal Register last week. It’s an update to the Alien File, also known as an A-File, which is the official record-keeping system for an individual going through the immigration system. Until now, A-Files could be kept in either paper or electronic form. Now, the rule says, these records can be kept on paper, electronically or through some paper-electronic combination.

And the information that’s now going to be kept in A-Files includes the country of nationality, country of residence, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service online account number, social media handles, aliases, associated identifiable information and search results.

It’s unclear how DHS plans to collect social media handles and search results from people, although the rule does say it plans to “expand data elements used to retrieve records.”
          Wrapped in vapidity and carrying a mirror.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            And by the same token, if you do have it, you are wealthy. You may not feel it because it's tied up in land that you don't want to sell, but that doesn't change the fact your family is sitting on tens of millions of dollars if you're worried about the estate tax.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
              Has Trump gotten rid of his unsecured cell phone yet or is he still using it to email "jkushner@aol.com"?

< facepalm >

Talk about not learning from others' mistakes. There needs to be consequences.
              I dunno, give (917) 756-8000 a call and ask him yourself.

(Also, Trump got that number when it was Cingular Wireless.)
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post

Your missing the point, which is that your family has been entirely too good at farming. We don't want that. Now if you can manage to put the whole operation underwater in the next few years, you may be able to hold on by taking on the inherited debt yourself. Try being less productive for crissakes.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  David Stockman came out more than a decade ago against supply-side and Reaganomics after having been one of the major architects. He utterly eviscerated the remaining supply-siders. Nobody with a brain is left on that side. It's just naked theft by people like the Kochs, their useful idiots like Ryan, Brownback, and Walker, and then about 50 million aged brainwashed Republican grandparents who lapped it up because Saint Ronnie Jesus said it.
                  You know, I'm not even sure these people are on board anymore. I do recall back in the 80's and somewhat into the 90's (after Clinton's big tax increase on the wealthy) people making 15K a year arguing for top level tax cuts because that would grow the economy. Not sure anybody who isn't a member of Trump's country clubs actually believes that at this point. Its sorta how people have given up the ghost on deregulation. Does any working class slob really believe loosening financial industry regulations for example is a good idea, even if you are a Trump apostle?

That's why this tax idea is in a bit more trouble than people think. Trump's bread and butter voters get zilch out of this. The rich get all the goodies. That's not why they elected the man, especially after Itch and Weasel Paul Ryan put their stink all over it.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                    first we have a government take over of farmland and protect it from development (this is a limited valuable resource, it shouldn't get converted into subdivisions because the developer/landowners can make a **** ton of money that way vs struggling with farming)
                    then we lease it out cheap to people that want to farm it
                    problem solved, anyone with the desire can get into farming -- you don't have to win the birth lottery

(I'm not really being serious here. I'm okay with farming being a multi-generational family tradition. But I actually donate money to preserve farmland in Maine and also make it more affordable for people to get into farming, there are people out there that _really_ want to start farming but they didn't win the birth lottery -- it's better they end up with the land when an old farmer retires vs some developer or rich ******* that has no intention of farming the land)
                    I'm pretty sure a lot of the 'farmers' from away won the birth lottery. I agree with your point though, farmland is a natural resource that should be protected. It might not be quite as attractive as land on the water but it is every bit as valuable.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      Your missing the point, which is that your family has been entirely too good at farming. We don't want that. Now if you can manage to put the whole operation underwater in the next few years, you may be able to hold on by taking on the inherited debt yourself. Try being less productive for crissakes.
                      And we're back to the "taxation is punishment" canard. Go back to the minor leagues with that shiat, meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        That's why this tax idea is in a bit more trouble than people think. Trump's bread and butter voters get zilch out of this. The rich get all the goodies. That's not why they elected the man, especially after Itch and Weasel Paul Ryan put their stink all over it.
                        Well ideally they would drape a death penalty for Muslims or something over it to get the Deplorables on board. But I think they still love it simply because people with a brain keep telling them it's bad. At this point these people have no actual motivations in life beyond "I wanna hurt those people over there!!!" Trump is the President of the Toddlers, and the Deplorables are the Nation of Toddlers.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Hmmm... http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...n-health-care/

And now: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ra...rticle/2635769

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            And we're back to the "taxation is punishment" canard. Go back to the minor leagues with that shiat, meat.
                            If the tax is such that puts you out of business, it's certainly not an incentive. It appears that in this particular scenario, by being inefficient enough, bbdl can avoid enough tax to stay in business.

You're whole scenario of starting at zero is silly. Today it takes massive capital to start a farm. Who has that kind of capital? People who have generations of sweat equity invested in a farm. Or large corporations and the Government.

Bass Ale was on the right track with your plans. Why wait and chip away at it? Just nationalize everything now and little johhny can go work for the farming collective if he wants. I doubt bbdl cares if he loses it to a corporation or the government. All the same from his point of view.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              If the tax is such that puts you out of business, it's certainly not an incentive. It appears that in this particular scenario, by being inefficient enough, bbdl can avoid enough tax to stay in business.

You're whole scenario of starting at zero is silly. Today it takes massive capital to start a farm. Who has that kind of capital? People who have generations of sweat equity invested in a farm. Or large corporations and the Government.

Bass Ale was on the right track with your plans. Why wait and chip away at it? Just nationalize everything now and little johhny can go work for the farming collective if he wants. I doubt bbdl cares if he loses it to a corporation or the government. All the same from his point of view.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

I'm not Kepler, I don't advocate for a 90 percent estate tax. I don't think 40 or 50 percent above a threshold is unreasonable, though.

Right now, the estate tax only impacts 2 out of 1,000 estates. We're literally arguing over the top .2 percent of the population in terms of inherited wealth.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over that.

Comment

Working...
                                X