X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.20 - Doddering Dotards Dodging Detente

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Sources? I always assumed he was his own "source."
    Kep's sources are George Soros's brainwashing think tanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Which would essentially kill any chance that I would be able to carry on my family's farm, after my grandpa passes away. It's only been in the family for 100+ years.
      Oh noes. Instead you'd have to live off the proceeds of selling at least 10 million in land, even after taxes. The horrors.

And if you haven't already incorporated your family farm (or LLC or some other formal business structure), that in and of itself is gross mismanagement.
      Last edited by unofan; 09-28-2017, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
        Jones Act will be waived. Apparently the ports weren't that crowded. Now to make Puerto Rico a permanent exception, like the USVI, or disbanding it all together so that Hawaii, Alaska, and other territories are no longer weighed down with needless extra costs.
        It's not just limited to the territories, and not just ships, either; we'd also need to consider planes, which have to follow the same regulations. However, we're in between a rock and a hard place. It's not good practice to run this sort of business in the US because of high taxes, but you're not allowed to use a foreign company domestically. However, if we were to take "America First" literally, then the Jones Act isn't going anywhere. So which way do you go? Do you lower artificial costs imposed on Americans and give them a chance to succeed in a worldwide market, or do you surrender your industry to foreign competition and let them take you over?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          Oh noes. Instead you'd have to live off the proceeds of selling at least 10 million in land, even after taxes. The horrors.

And if you haven't already incorporated your family farm, that in and of itself is gross mismanagement.
          I wouldn't expect you to understand.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            I wouldn't expect you to understand.
            Not sure any of them understand not only where food comes from, but the value of the hard work that your family puts in day after day. They're just pushing Agenda 2030, where no one owns anything.

Comment

And if you haven't already incorporated your family farm (or LLC or some other formal business structure), that in and of itself is gross mismanagement.
              That's the problem. You have to sell the land to pay the taxes. But of course, once you sell the land, you're not really farmers anymore, are you?

There is an old saying I used to recall farmers in North Dakota make regarding farmland. "They're not making it anymore." Farmers don't buy land to sell it. They buy it to farm it, and pass on to their children so they can farm it.

The effect of your policy, by the way, would be to consolidate virtually all farmland into the hands of just a couple of companies, which isn't exactly ideal to my way of thinking.

The problem is even more profound when the family business is not a farm, where you can sell off a quarter or two, but something like a trucking company. I have a good friend who, with is father, have built up a family trucking company into an enterprise that has to be worth millions of dollars when you take into account the assets, but it's not like they have $10 million sitting around in the bank to pay taxes on it when the old man dies.

By the way, how does incorporating the family farm help, assuming you can do it with the laws regulating corporate farming in a lot of states? Don't you have $10 million in "shares" which then get taxed? Where is that money coming from?
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                I figured it out -- it's "Marketplace" that I hear the Koch Industry add, which is produced by WGBH, which receives money from Koch Industries.
                He was able to get Independent Television Service (part of PBS that funds and distributes independent films) to pull it's funding for "Citizen Koch"
                Well there you go. You sussed it out, sort of. I previously posted that Koch apparently hasn't donated to WGBH since he resigned from the board in 2013. Marketplace is produced by American Public Media (not WGBH) which is the national production arm of Minnesota Public Radio. Koch Industries public arm (Koch Companies Public Sector LLC) is a regional corporate sponsor of MPR. (There are 26 regional and 28 National Corporate sponsors) If you do the math it appears to be less than $500k for a regional sponsorship role.

I don't like the Koch's any more than anyone else here does, but you have to admit, controlling NPR for $500k is a pretty crafty maneuver. And it's so obvious they forced out Garrison Keillor!
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  ... According to the article Toronto and Vancouver have the most overpriced real estate in North America.
                  As witnessed by HGTV's "Love It Or List It."
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                    Jones Act will be waived. Apparently the ports weren't that crowded. Now to make Puerto Rico a permanent exception, like the USVI, or disbanding it all together so that Hawaii, Alaska, and other territories are no longer weighed down with needless extra costs.
                    If only that was all the Jones Act does.

Ol' half-a-brain from a landlocked state surely knows all the factors at play. (talking about McCain here, as he's the one who has some continuous gripe about this)

Comment

What a bunch of bullchit.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...-class-tax-cut

“We are very confident that Americans are getting a great deal,” Cohn said. “We have also said that wealthy Americans are not getting a tax cut.”

Pressed again, Cohn said: “The wealthy are not getting a tax cut under our plan.”
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        See. Lying works. And the Republicans NEVER STOP LYING. NEVER.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Jones act may be waived but the state department website is apparently saying evacuees passports will be held until they pay the full fare of evacuation. Hilarious when you consider Donald stiffed then for like 33M right?

http://hill.cm/ISlmhpK

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            The Kochs are not on the board of NPR...they didnt buy it either. Kep you need to vett your sources better.
                            I never said they "bought it." If they're not on the board of NPR I retract that statement, though. You are right that I read that but did not Snopes. Mea culpa.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You're missing the problem, and it is a problem. It's not that one guy or one family will be financially crippled by paying taxes on their inheritance. It's, what becomes of the farm? The pattern for 100 years has been consolidation of farmland into the hands of mega corporations with automated processes, crap tons of environmental pollution, and patented crop genetics that are negatively affecting every citizen.
                              When one family with 500 acres screws up, it doesn't hurt us. When Monsanto devises something that kills off a species of pollinator across the US, it's now a public health crisis.
                              Take a look at what percentage of Americans are still involved in food production compared to generations past, and how concentrated that sector is now. It's an enormous crisis.
                              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                That's the problem. You have to sell the land to pay the taxes. But of course, once you sell the land, you're not really farmers anymore, are you?

There is an old saying I used to recall farmers in North Dakota make regarding farmland. "They're not making it anymore." Farmers don't buy land to sell it. They buy it to farm it, and pass on to their children so they can farm it.

The effect of your policy, by the way, would be to consolidate virtually all farmland into the hands of just a couple of companies, which isn't exactly ideal to my way of thinking.

The problem is even more profound when the family business is not a farm, where you can sell off a quarter or two, but something like a trucking company. I have a good friend who, with is father, have built up a family trucking company into an enterprise that has to be worth millions of dollars when you take into account the assets, but it's not like they have $10 million sitting around in the bank to pay taxes on it when the old man dies.

By the way, how does incorporating the family farm help, assuming you can do it with the laws regulating corporate farming in a lot of states? Don't you have $10 million in "shares" which then get taxed? Where is that money coming from?
                                I'm not even against the estate taxes, and possibly increasing them. I just think there need to be protections in there for certain situations. One of which is when family businesses would be destroyed. Regardless of what people think, everyone benefits from having independently owned and operated farms, and not having production owned by 2-3 huge companies.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X