This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    I wonder what shape the roads are in? IIRC there is one highway from San Juan to Ponce directly through the center on the island and another that hugs the coast (at least from Ponce to Mayaguez to San Juan). Without them, and electricity, you can't do much.

Given the lousy shape the Island's finances are, would it be a good idea to "take over" Puerto Rico for a bit and get the infrastructure and revenue base up to snuff?

And what about the Virgin Islands??
    A friend has driven from her parents in Santa Isabel in the south to he condo in Dorado in the north, so the autopista is in good enough shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      I doubt it's bigger than I think as I've been there.

It's less than 2 days from Port Everglades to PR by cargo ship. It's 1-2 days to offload, depending on the shape things are in there. So what, that takes at the most 6 ships to handle Ponce 24/7? There are 40 to 50 thousand US flagged cargo ships, plus Sealift Command has hundreds just waiting around. We can stuff 10,000 containers in Ponce in less than a week, no problem. That's IF it's operating at peak. But then what? Can they handle them from there? There's a lot more to the logistics then available ships. A lot. All this not withstanding the fact that they are using mostly barges anyway, (which there's no shortage of either) probably because they can jam them in on any accessible wharf space in San Juan.

The waiver has nothing to do with the ability to re-supply PR. It has to do with US (and probably PR) politics. "Trump is screwing the brown people again!" I'd add it's not ol' John McCain's first day in the political saddle.
      On a ship or as a tourist?

It's so awesome that you so easily brush off the only way Puerto Rico gets stuff as it should be so easy, so they don't need the same shipping waiver that Florida and Texas really didn't need.

Btw, the waiver also allows the cruise ships to move people between US ports, too.

Thanks for caring. Shows your true colors.

Comment

Re: POTUS 45.20 - Doddering Dotards Dodging Detente

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
        Doesn't that article support his point? I should have done further reading on it, but after "it's a large, large ocean" I wasn't expecting much.

What that article does point out is PR continues to get screwed over in its "territory that's not a state that's basically its own country" status.
        The article explains the rationale. The Comments argue persuasively the rationale is a cover story for a hostage situation.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          On a ship or as a tourist?

It's so awesome that you so easily brush off the only way Puerto Rico gets stuff as it should be so easy, so they don't need the same shipping waiver that Florida and Texas really didn't need.

Btw, the waiver also allows the cruise ships to move people between US ports, too.

Thanks for caring. Shows your true colors.
          would people give more of a **** if they were a state, or that wouldn't matter because they speak spanish and are brown?

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            would people give more of a **** if they were a state, or that wouldn't matter because they speak spanish and are brown?
            People still wouldn't care because they're racist f-cks, but as a state PR would have access to the same services the states have. I don't care about the people of Mississippi, but they still get benefits because I'm not more powerful than federal service for the states.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              I would anticipate he will be the new darling of the Democratic Party given this news.
              Troll fail.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Troll fail.
                Not only that but the Democrats won't be bothered with it. If this was reversed the story would be run into the ground.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Well lets see, the GOP calls Warren "Liawatha" I am sure we could find some cute name for Jared the Lady
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Well lets see, the GOP calls Warren "Liawatha" I am sure we could find some cute name for Jared the Lady
                    Pocohontas has stuck more than Liawatha.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Jared is just faking being progressive to win a few anti-gender votes. Don't fall for it.
                      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

(CNN) Friends of Trumpy say he is feeling "embarrassed and p****d" about Strange losing. He also feels like he is "losing to Steve Bannon." Think about that. The US President is depressed because he feels he is "losing" some p***ing contest to a random unemployed guy named "Steve." This is the world we live in. #modernpresidential
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                          (CNN) Friends of Trumpy say he is feeling "embarrassed and p****d" about Strange losing. He also feels like he is "losing to Steve Bannon." Think about that. The US President is depressed because he feels he is "losing" some p***ing contest to a random unemployed guy named "Steve." This is the world we live in. #modernpresidential
                          Well, Bannon did go down to Alabama and clean his clock. And, there's not many States that are in love with Trump more than Alabama. That shows you how far love will get you. Moore will be the Democrat by 25 points.

Comment

Originally posted by scoobydoo View Post
                            fauxcahontas has stuck more than liawatha.
                            fyp

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              fyp
                              I see. I still think she wrote one of the most important books of all time. Unfortunately no one listened so it's only important to those of us who read it.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                I see. I still think she wrote one of the most important books of all time. Unfortunately no one listened so it's only important to those of us who read it.
                                "Two Income Trap"? Interesting book; Dr. Mrs. has a complicated relationship with it. Not altogether positive, but she does respect her scholarship.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X