X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: POTUS 45.20 - Doddering Dotards Dodging Detente

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    It always has and should depend on the cost of living in the area you live.
    I agree that it should, but it doesn't. It depends on the area's income stats. Our cost of living is far higher than the national average (things like utilities, gas, bandwidth, and groceries are really expensive to get to the UP) but our income is far lower so the calculator put me at upper middle class even though my income is below average.
    BUT you could be right, I only looked at the CNN calculator so there may be more sensible definitions out there that consider cost of living. Which puts me in "steerage" class.
    edit again: the one cheap thing is housing, a decent 2000 s.f. house is $300/month because we live in a ghost town, I'm not sure how that affects overall "cost of living."
    Edit again: It does make a big difference considering housing is 1/8 of the cost of my last home.
    Last edited by geezer; 09-27-2017, 03:40 PM.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Any bill that cuts the current top marginal rate should be a non-starter. Trickle-down is a philosophy of failure.
      Somebody needs to remind our current mainstream media of that notion, NPR especially. Listening to the talking heads allowed to posit this utterly failed tax scheme as both a viable plan and acting like it is some new thought reminds me of why I have lost any of the respect I used to have for NPR. People who think the mainstream media is liberal are fools, as -- at least where it matter most -- they seem to me to be about a half a yard to the left of Paul Ryan economically. If that.

Comment

In addition, they talk about doubling the standard deduction, but in reality, they're simply folding the personal deduction into the standard deduction, and increasing that total a little bit, like $1500 maybe. Not double. Then they start taxing your first dollar earned at 12% instead of 10%, so yeah, there's some serious middle income tax relief right there.

Then, you can't claim deductions for your kids anymore.

Hey, but rich people like Donald Trump, who make most of their money through pass-through businesses, can see their top rate fall from 35% to 25%, so you can see why Trumpy likes it.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
          Somebody needs to remind our current mainstream media of that notion, NPR especially. Listening to the talking heads allowed to posit this utterly failed tax scheme as both a viable plan and acting like it is some new thought reminds me of why I have lost any of the respect I used to have for NPR. People who think the mainstream media is liberal are fools, as -- at least where it matter most -- they seem to me to be about a half a yard to the left of Paul Ryan economically. If that.
          They helped normalize the queers, so they're uber-liberal. Duh.

Comment

Koch sits on the NPR board, now. They're completely beholden to rich donors, they're not going to say a peep about inequality.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              In addition, they talk about doubling the standard deduction, but in reality, they're simply folding the personal deduction into the standard deduction, and increasing that total a little bit, like $1500 maybe. Not double. Then they start taxing your first dollar earned at 12% instead of 10%, so yeah, there's some serious middle income tax relief right there.

Hey, but rich people like Donald Trump, who make most of their money through pass-through businesses, can see their top rate fall from 35% to 25%, so you can see why Trumpy likes it.
              Yep, bend over baby. You're (me too) about to get plowed.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Koch sits on the NPR board, now. They're completely beholden to rich donors, they're not going to say a peep about inequality.
              Oh, that's just ****ing fantastic.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Yeah NPR has lost pretty much all credibility.

Comment

I just checked their board of directors and couldn't find that. Do they have a patsy or something?
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Oh FFS, we're writing off NPR as the new Breitbart just because they might have allowed one RWNJ into management?

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45.20 - Doddering Dotards Dodging Detente

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Oh FFS, we're writing off NPR as the new Breitbart just because they might have allowed one RWNJ into management?
                      To be fair they have cancelled stories because they offended donors. That would not have happened with old NPR.

"Citizen Koch," a documentary about money in politics focused on the Wisconsin uprising, was shunned by PBS for fear of offending billionaire industrialist David Koch, who has given $23 million to public television, according to Jane Mayer of the New Yorker. The dispute highlights the increasing role of private money in "public" television and raises even further concerns about the Kochs potentially purchasing eight major daily newspapers.

The film from Academy Award-nominated filmmakers Carl Deal and Tia Lessin documents how the U.S. Supreme Court's Citizens United decision helped pave the way for secret political spending by players like the Kochs, who contributed directly and indirectly to the election of Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker in 2010 and came to his aid again when the battle broke out over his effort to limit collective bargaining.

Originally slated to appear on PBS stations nationwide as part of the "Independent Lens" series, "Citizen Koch" had its funding pulled after David Koch was offended by another PBS documentary critical of the billionaire industrialists.

"People like the Kochs have worked for decades to undermine public funding for institutions like PBS," Deal told the Center for Media and Democracy. "When public dollars dry up, private dollars come in to make up for the shortfall."

And that private funding can conflict with PBS' "public" mission and its editorial integrity. The PBS distributor "backed out of the partnership because they came to fear the reaction our film would provoke," Deal and Lessin said in a statement. "David Koch, whose political activities are featured in the film, happens to be a public-television funder and a trustee of both [New York PBS member station] WNET and [Boston member station] WGBH. This wasn’t a failed negotiation or a divergence of visions; it was censorship, pure and simple.”

It's recoverable. 99.99% of the people involved in NPR and public media are liberal because, well, they're smart. The few Deranged Billionaires they have gotten into bed with might only be a temporary convenience. But for now, anyway, not a lot of help is going to come from that quarter. They aren't Breitbart, but they are limited, like anybody who has to dance with the f-cking fascist f-cks.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 09-27-2017, 04:39 PM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

I'm interested to see what happens to the state and mortgage interest deductions. Trump and Republicans could really stick it to people living in the strongly liberal areas.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Didn't know that, not surprised really. Money changes everything
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                            Trump won't waive the Jones Act for PR like he did for Texas and Florida.

Donald Trump doesn't care about brown people.
                            http://gcaptain.com/american-maritim...s-puerto-rico/

Circling back on this, since I'm probably the most knowledgeable about maritime stuff/issues. I will admit that I will obviously back the Jones Act, as it protects my industry, however the pros far outweigh the cons.

There are >3000 containers with vital supplies sitting in the port of San Juan (since Saturday) that have no means of getting distributed due to infrastructure issues, truck/driver issues. Crowley (a US shipping company, and pretty regular sight in San Juan) has had atleast 2 deliveries on board their vessels since Maria (probably more but I haven't really dug for info to confirm).

Waiving/repealing the Jones Act isn't going to do much at all to help this. This is a black and white scenario given TX, FL and PR. TX and FL have/had the capacity to see increased vessel movement into their ports, while also having the ability to transport on land upon delivery. PR has issues with both of those factors. Though it was widely viewed that the waiver for FL/TX wasn't particularly needed, either. The US Fleet has/had the capacity to handle it.

Related: "But the Jones Act increases costs!!". Yes and no. Sure, there are fees and tariffs associated with foreign ships trading between US ports. However, given the sheer amount these ships can transport, those fees aren't substantial in the overall picture. Also, foreign ships are known for operating at lesser costs due to paying crews MUCH less, and not having the standard for safety like the US companies have.

I agree that more should/needs to be done (and probably should have already been a priority), but again, the US fleet has plenty of capacity to take care of this. FWIW, not sure if it's been posted here, but FEMA finally (yesterday) decided to have the USNS Comfort (hospital ship) ordered to fire up and sail for San Juan. Also, MARAD activated Mass Maritime/SUNY Maritime training ships (and Ready Reserve Fleet ships) to aid in efforts in TX after Harvey. Mass's ship went to Corpus, came back to Miami just the other day, and has left there a couple days ago. It appeared it may have been getting sent to San Juan, though tracking apps aren't showing current positions for her. SUNY's ship got stopped short in Key West after Irma, while she was enroute to Houston, and is still located in Key West.
                            Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 09-27-2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

From Elizabeth Warren's Facebook.

The “new” Republican tax plan is the same warmed-over, trickle-down plan they’ve been pushing for decades. It delivers massive tax cuts to millionaires and giant corporations and kicks working families to the curb. While the plan slashes the income tax rate for the highest earners, it actually increases the income tax rate that applies to many working families. The plan gets rid of the state and local tax deduction that millions of working families rely on, while repealing the estate tax that applies only to a handful of the wealthiest families in the country. And the plan will explode the deficit, which – I guarantee you – will lead Republicans to turn around and say we need to gut Medicaid, Medicare, and investments in infrastructure, research, and education.

Not one penny in tax cuts for the wealthy and giant corporations – especially not on the backs of everyone else. We will fight back against this GOP tax plan.
                              After my reading on the reporting I agree with her. Again, no new ideas from the GOP. Waiting patiently for just one on any topic.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                I'm interested to see what happens to the state and mortgage interest deductions. Trump and Republicans could really stick it to people living in the strongly liberal areas.
                                Reagan's original bill had it out, too. Sen. Moynihan (D-NY) put it back in.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X