Colgate 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2017-18

all true...DV is a class guy and has been a real asset to Colgate...my hope is that he can turn this thing around but, as Frank Lane - the despised GM of the Cleveland Indians - used to say: "Sympathy? Oh sympathy...you find it in the dictionary between 's**t' and 'syphilis'..." Maybe we will get better, but I'm a glass half-empty guy...hell, I've been a Browns fan since 1957...

Comment

• That is a darn funny quote GC.
      Even if Point had started, I still picked us to lose in this week’s poll; the sad reality of this program is it’s continued spiral into sub-mediocrity and after tonight, its questionable coaching decisions that are downgrading the program. Assuming Point was healthy, DV should be embarrassed and apologize to his players. He also assumed SLU was beatable by a second-string goalie and got burned. Recruits must shake their heads and think twice about coming here: “Nice arena and school with a sad track record, hmmmmmm...”. This is why players like Point and McDonald and Smith rarely come to Colgate, and why others like Baun don’t stay. We can guess which star player will bolt early, and for good reason.
      C O L G A T E
      2023 ECAC CHAMPION
      1990 NCAA FINALS
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
      ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
      ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

• Steve Spott
        C O L G A T E
        2023 ECAC CHAMPION
        1990 NCAA FINALS
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
        ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
        ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

could be the best choice of all...as far as the program goes, anyone can see the disparity in talent, at least at the front end...and I know where we stand in the recruiting competition: it's against Vermont, Holy Cross, and the Robert Morrises of the world...we continue to lose kids to Cornell (big surprise) and others...honestly is sometimes pretty painful...

Comment

Wow... tough crowd here, but I can understand the frustration. In regards to those that feel the new arena should help with recruiting, I think it will but it's not a case of instant gratification. Since these kids are recruited 3-4 years out, how many have actually seen the new rink? While I'm no expert on this subject, I think you're probably another 2-3 seasons away from seeing that benefit (based on having 2 full recruiting classes that could be influenced by the rink).
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
            Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Thanks Mark, you have more foresight than most of the people here. You're going thru an off year also. How many years after the new rink was built at Q-Pac did you guys start reaping the benefits ??
              I've said before it will take 3-4 years.
              Last edited by sshablak; 02-10-2018, 09:06 AM.
              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                Thanks Mark, you have more foresight than most of the people here. You're going thru an off year also. How many years after the new rink was built at Q-Pac did you guys start reaping the benefits ??
                I've said before it will take 3-4 years.
                I started following when the Bank opened in '07. We went to the Frozen Four in '13, but saw continual improvement along the way.

If you guys remember Reid Cashman, he was recruited based on the plans for the facility and got to play the last half of his senior year there. I've heard he, and others, say that being able to actually bring kids into the facility makes all the difference in the world, so your 3-4 year guess seems to be spot on. Simply opening the doors to a new rink isn't going to help overnight.

As for our season, I'd trade it for yours at the moment... This too shall pass...
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2023 National Champions
                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

The new rink in and of itself will not make us magically competitive after 3-4 years. Next year is Year 3; I do not see any Smiths or Spinks in next year’s recruits. Heck, I don’t even see any McManns. Same holds true for Year 4. I do not see anyone on Heisenberg who looks to be an elite talent. Not only do we not have any guys who are among the best in their leagues we do not even have any guys who are best on their teams.

Let’s be honest, the only reason we are rising to mediocrity is that we have a phenomenal goalie. Without him we’d be one of the worst teams in the country. He gives us the illusion of being slightly sub-average.

Can any of us honestly look at the talent we have now and the incoming talent and think we will suddenly become good?

Comment

agree with Marmot...next year's forwards seem to be OK, but certainly not overwhelming on paper...Mark Gallant, originally out of the Groton School, seems to be interesting, but I don't know if he's a 2018 or 2019 commit. And yes, Q-Pac is having an off year...at present we are actually having an above average year vis-a-vis the average record of our teams over the past 12 years...and yes The Bank opened in 2007, but Q-Pac was transitioning to a DI program and quickly became an above average program WELL BEFORE 2013...and frankly, as far as "foresight" goes, a number of us have been fearful of the program's direction for the past 5 to 10 years (thank God for the kids who graduated in 2016)...we have not been competitive in recruiting in the USHL for years. Smith, McIntire, Wagner all studs, no doubt...but it's the depth of talent at forward that has been a problem since 2004-2005 when we could skate a very solid fourth line. I, along with several others, hope to be dead wrong...we have all invested a lot of passion and loyalty to Colgate Hockey...we all (I think) have a great deal of respect for DV, both as a coach and as an individual...and personally I am really hoping we can add some needed skill and speed to our team with the team we have at present. I just don't see it presently looking out another 2 to 3 years...

Comment

There's an old saying in hockey, "Each game is like the painted lady down on the corner; you never know which side of the dame is gonna show up." Take it game by game. You never know what might happen in Potsdam tonight. 'Gate could surprise all of you. It could happen.....
                      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

since I have no life ColSkate65 that would make my weekend...we all bleed maroon...

Comment

I refuse to give up, been here too long. The old rink was our excuse, give it a few more years people, maybe down to our last hope. Greeny I'm a Browns fan too but thank God I'm also a bruins fan since Robert Orr.
                          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

well, until recently my allegiance to "Hockeytown's" Red Wings helped assuage the pain...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                              well, until recently my allegiance to "Hockeytown's" Red Wings helped assuage the pain...
                              You all need to switch to the Rangers....

How about Clarkson 0, Cornell 0? A battle of titans. Bet that game was something to witness.
                              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

I guess I'm beating a horse here, but as to "Marmot's" point regarding Tim Taylor, who, to his credit took a Yale program out of the dark ages...through his first 17 seasons Taylor was 198-222-28, a winning percentage of .473; his last 12 seasons he went 139-211-17 (.404). Regarding DV...first 13 years 224-196-42 (.530); last 12 3/4 years 178-220-54 (.454)...Taylor dropped .069%/DV has dropped .076%...no one can question the positive contributions to their respective programs. I just hope we can reverse a long-term decline in the success of the program...any way/any how...

Comment

Working...
                                X