Colgate 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colgate 2017-18

Seney, for sure our biggest offensive threat. He's a great player. Losing Delia was huge for us - Halladay (freshman) is a big recruit, and Vogler had some success his freshman year, but who knows what we're going to get from the goalie position.
    Historically we play a tight defensive and physical game because we can't really recruit with the HEA big boys. He hold our own though, especially at home. On the road we sometimes struggle so I'm expecting a split with you all.
    Last year we had huge wins against BU, BC, and Notre Dame and most of our roster returns so most of us are expecting a good season. Which for us would be around 5th or 6th in Hockey East.

Comment

Does Colgate typically try to sit on a two goal lead for an entire third period by just dumping the puck out? I was hoping I had seen the last of that strategy in Omaha. I think we were lucky tonight, but our goalie was on-point all night. Congrats ‘gate on the 2-1 win!!

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
        Does Colgate typically try to sit on a two goal lead for an entire third period by just dumping the puck out? I was hoping I had seen the last of that strategy in Omaha. I think we were lucky tonight, but our goalie was on-point all night. Congrats ‘gate on the 2-1 win!!
        The answer is unfortunately yes, but I also think that they just got tired and were trying not to get beat by getting themselves into bad positions. Hopefully, when it is further on in the season they will have a little more energy late in the game

Comment

Originally posted by red133883 View Post
          The answer is unfortunately yes, but I also think that they just got tired and were trying not to get beat by getting themselves into bad positions. Hopefully, when it is further on in the season they will have a little more energy late in the game
          Agree that we sat on the lead for a looonng time, but I'll take any win for a young team. Size difference was noticeable, I'm sure that contributed to our wearing down... on the flip side, if Point plays like that all year we will be in a lot of games. I also liked the effort out of our young guys, a definite step up from last year's team. Hopefully confidence is building!

Comment

Originally posted by Gate83 View Post
            Agree that we sat on the lead for a looonng time, but I'll take any win for a young team. Size difference was noticeable, I'm sure that contributed to our wearing down... on the flip side, if Point plays like that all year we will be in a lot of games. I also liked the effort out of our young guys, a definite step up from last year's team. Hopefully confidence is building!
            I agree about our recruits. It seems like they have stepped it up and are playing with an effort that has elevated our game. I guess good recruiting has brought in a promising bunch of guys. Didn't see all of the game due to transmission problems with PL Network/Stadium. Anyone else having problems? This happened with the NU game also....picture freezes or screen goes dark. What is this new "Stadium" outlet, anyone know?

Just glad we got the win. Maybe we sweep MC this weekend...no pressure
            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
              I was at the game last night. I think it was a combo of it being early season and guys still getting into game shape and maybe some young guys being ultra cautious. Overall I thought Gate played well and the keeper shut the door in the third. He's a big kid
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

For anyone who missed last night's Shots On Goal (SOG) summary...
                Merrimack out-shot Colgate 17-11 in the first period,
                Merrimack out-shot Colgate 12-6 in the second period,
                Merrimack out-shot Colgate 10-2 in the third period,
                For a total of 39-19 in favor of Merrimack.
                Even though we won 2-1 (thanks mainly to Colton Point in goal), those kind of SOG numbers will eventually catch up with any team.
                Let's out-shoot them tonight.

Comment

Hard to believe all the penalties we are taking and under normal circumstances (miraculously we just tied the game at 2/2) totally ruining our chances to go 3-0. Two players so far have been given game misconducts including our top scorer. Maybe I missed it but I haven't heard Gate Radio mention that the game misconducts means we lose both players for the next game too. Dumb, dumb, dumb. The whole penalty thing is a bad habit Colgate hockey has endured for years and usually pops up late in games when we re protecting a lead. Coach Vaughn who never has seemed to enforce the discipline to stop it in the past has to put an end to this right away with this young team or it will continue to haunt us. Come on coach start benching players for several shifts until they stop the stupidity. If they don't stop sit them
                  Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-07-2017, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Game misconducts do not require an automatic suspension next week. We should have both next weekend.

Comment

Still undefeated - I'll take it!

Comment

Originally posted by Gotter View Post
                        Still undefeated - I'll take it!
                        Yep. Had a couple of great chances in the 5 on 3 to start overtime that just missed, but overcoming a 2-0 deficit plus all the penalties (and without two of our top forwards for most of the game) makes this a good tie. Point looked great again, confidence should be building!

Comment

Probably a microcosm of this season, low scoring, different players scoring every game and Colton Point. It all starts in goal and he is very very impressive, especially like the way he smothers shots with no rebounds. I think we go as far as he takes us !
                          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

In addition it's good to see Nick Austin with two goals. He may be the go-to guy on that line - has a blistering shot. What a nice drop pass from Willie Brooks to set up Austin for the second goal. Who'd a thunk, 2-0-1 after three games? Point is playing great; the naysayers may have to take back that last place prediction (media/coaches) for this team. The frosh are making a statement with their play. Great to see a D-man score but we need some forwards to light the lamp as well.

After being hosed by Lehigh in FB it's good to get the tie last night and have a "successful" hockey showing. Gotta stop the game misconducts going forward. It only gets harder and more competitive from here on out.
                            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

So my thoughts from the first three games...

1. The freshman are better than expected. They have played good defense, have put the puck in the net and have melded well with the sophmores.

2. The close range defense on loose pucks near the crease has been outstanding. Up to this point I dont think we have been beat to a loose puck in front of Point.

3. The overall product is so much better than last year. We have some good speed which could be a help next week on the big sheet.

4. Point has been solid, with very few missed plays, EXCEPT coming out of the net on icings which negates them!

Overall we can all be happy and proud about how they have performed up to this point.

Comment

I wondered why frosh Quillan hasn't suited up? Highly recruited with Cosgrove, guess he put his arm thru glass and was cut very badly. He'll help too.
                                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                                X