Colgate 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2017-18

Was at the game tonight. I thought McKechney was our best forward, followed by Hunter Racine. McKechney looks like he’ll be a good one. Real nice goal he scored. But I’m not as optimistic about our sophomore forwards. By now you’d think their offense would have improved from last year but it hasn’t. None of them impress me.

This game was certainly there for the taking. But we gave Union one too many power plays as it turned out, when a certain sophomore took his second offensive zone penalty of the game. And then when we get the 5 minute power play we commit 2 minor penalties of our own. Unreal.

I see Colton Point is getting some consideration for the Hobey, and maybe also for ECAC POTY. While he probably won’t win either award, is there a player in D1 hockey more valuable to his team? Let’s be honest — without him Colgate is a bottom 4 team.

Greencoat, I share your frustration. But it wasn’t that long ago that Colgate was in back to back ECAC championship games. We’ll see if we can bring in some talent in the next couple of years so we can get back there.

Comment

We are a defensive team and although it is not the best (most fun) hockey to watch that is what we are and we do it decently.

I also was at the game and I think the biggest thing that happened was that Union crashed the net and hit Point a few times clearly illegally. I am not a fan of players taking it into their own hands but someone needs to stick up for Point even if that means a Major (5 min and game DQ). Or someone needs to do what other teams are doing to Point. The refs are letting him get hit and that is fine as long as when we hit the other goalie nothing is called, what is good for the goose is good for the gander. In the 2nd period tonight Point got hit with a a knee and stick to the back of the head and when he retaliated he got called. Then the trip in front of the Union net (with the puck on the stick going in for the shot) not called and then we go for a clear trip in the neutral zone/blueline which lead to the goal.

We are not suppose to be a good team but we are doing well, enjoy it for what it is and the hope of the Whitelaw Cup.

Comment

Colton has a (roughly) 1.40 GAA in his last 6 games, but is 2-4. In those 4 losses, we lost 2-0, 2-0, 2-1, and 3-1 where the 3rd goal was an empty-netter.

Last season the offense was a question mark after losing the Spink twins, Mike Borkowski, and Darcy Murphy. This season was supposed to be another “rebuilding” year of sorts after losing the likes of Tim Harrison, Brett Corkey, Jake Kulevich, and Charlie Finn. But a lack of offense AGAIN? Unacceptable. Assuming no early departures, our graduation losses this season and next season aren’t that heavy. But will we ever get back to scoring 3 goals/game?
        Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
          Congrats to 'Gate & Point...and this site still sucks.
          Anyone else click on a box score, only to find 2 different teams with the wrong rosters and score? This happens to me ALL of the time; ColgateW game today v. Harvard showed them up 2-0 after 1 (lie), only to find the box score displaying Robert Morris. Ticker tape on main page posts games in progress with a score, only to find that the game hasn't even started. Refresh the page, and the score is different altogether. And the site is still a bland, ugly eyesore!
          Bill, what site are you talking about? ECAC, CHN, USCHO? I've had no problems with any of them.

Slightly off topic: Looking at the big picture, it was nice to see Princeton knock off Clarkson last night, and who thought RPI could take down Cornell? Guess the Dutchmen tired out the Ithaca boys on Friday.

That being said, the ECAC looks like a three tier league at this point. Cornell and Clarkson obviously the class of the league; Union and Harvard battling it out to stay in the top 4; then a log jam in the middle with Gate, Dartmouth, Princeton, QU and Yale in play for a possible top 4 or certainly a middle 5-8. Brown, RPI and SLU bringing up the rear.

The final games of the season will sort this out, but for Gate the final two games in the Capital District will be key. Need to produce offense as everyone agrees. Good posts by all posters.
          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

would like to echo ColSkate65's comments...good posts and the more the better...I think we're all a little frustrated right now, with good reason...also curious why Hunter Racine and Nick Quillan haven't played more this year...usually it's due to lapses on defense, but Racine is fiesty and likes to mix it up in the tough areas; Quillan has a great plus/minus (although this can be misleading)...lots and lots of line changes are probably needed to try and spark some scoring, but it can also disrupt chemistry...going forward we look pretty decent and deep on the back line (no seniors BTW)...to beat a dead horse we HAVE to get faster and more skilled at forward. I don't know what year Mark Gallant is coming (2018 or 2019; he's a 2000 birth year), and the incoming class of forwards (again) looks OK, but not dynamic...I hope I'm wrong...I DO NOT want to play Princeton or Q-Pac if we get first round home ice, so finishing 5th or 6th is quite important. Again, glad to see so many posters as it is at least anecdotal evidence that Gate alums do care to see constant improvement; again, I am not especially impressed with attendance at the new rink...I know we live in a different world today, but, JC, support your classmates...

Comment

I counted the students there in the beginning of the first period, twelve students. It was about half full at the end.
              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

I’d like to follow up with GreenCoat’s acute concern regarding scoring talent, both already at ‘Gate and in the recruiting pipeline. I wholeheartedly second that opinion. But will add one caveat.

McMann needs to be better. Much better. I understand that he has been our most productive forward points wise. However, he was the AJHL MVP two years ago. As such, and particularly in light of he few elite scorers we ever successfully recruit, he needs to ramp up his game.

Comment

I am also holding out some optimism for McKechney. As I recall last year in the AJHL playoffs he was one of the top scorers in the league. He seems to be coming around lately.

Comment

Lastly, we know GreenCoat loves his USHL guys. This year we got Austin, whose numbers in the U didn’t awe. But yet he has been arguably (unassailably?) our best frosh. Hopefully, we catch similar lightning with Griffin Lunn who currently plays for Central Illinois inthe USHL.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                      I counted the students there in the beginning of the first period, twelve students. It was about half full at the end.
                      The band also looked a bit thin when I was there. What the heck is going on? Is the heavily-inflated price driving people away? I know it's a new rink and all, but you guys sure got expensive...

I do know some students "migrated" to section 11; FlagDUDETTE was becoming quite agitated...

Comment

The students don't pay do they ? BTW, I counted 12 band members.

Comment

Marmot, I think you're spot on...Lunn's #s this number show a quantum improvement from last year's effort...and normally, averaging .75 points/game in the USHL is quite good...hoping Racine continues to get decent ice time, especially if teams are going to "run" Point every game...get a split this weekend up north...SLU still somewhat short-handed, but they have skill (Marnell especially) at the forward position..tough year for the Saints and Coach Morris and rooting for them every week save games against my alma mater...SCORE some goals (and frankly, shoot the puck a little more)...there is very little time and space late in the year and some dirty/fluky goals would be a God send...

Comment

The students don't pay do they ? BTW, I counted 12 band members.
                            Yep, students are free... just have to show id. They still don't come, to this or most other games. Exception is other sports teams coming in groups (I've seen the volleyball team at the rink for example). Going to games just isn't part of today's regular student culture, which is sad. Maybe if we won more, but football has had a pretty good run & they don't go to those games either...

Comment

I have a question about recruiting. I guess we get eighteen scholarships(somewhere I heard 18.5) which can be broken into half scholarships, anyway they want to break them up.

We are losing three forwards next year and two(hope not three) goalies. Coincidentally, or not, we have three forwards and two goalies coming in next year, per College Commitments.com. We haven't had any recruits for next year in awhile, does this mean we're done for next years recruiting ?

I see Cornell, Harvard, Clarkson, Dartmouth, Q-Pac, RPI, and even SLU(with all their problems) with ten or more recruits for next year, now I know they all don't enroll in the fall but HTH are we going to get any more competitive ? Am I missing something ?
                              Last edited by sshablak; 02-08-2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I have a question about recruiting. I guess we get eighteen scholarships(somewhere I heard 18.5) which can be broken into half scholarships, anyway they want to break them up.

We are losing three forwards next year and two(hope not three) goalies. Coincidentally, or not, we have three forwards and two goalies coming in next year, per College Commitments.com. We haven't had any recruits for next year in awhile, does this mean we're done for next years recruiting ?

I see Cornell, Harvard, Clarkson, Dartmouth, Q-Pac, RPI, and even SLU(with all their problems) with ten or more recruits for next year, now I know they all don't enroll in the fall but HTH are we going to get any more competitive ? Am I missing something ?
                                Right Shabby. I can't answer your recruiting question. But according to Heisenberg we have four forwards coming in next year and two goalies.

Mitch Benson, G, looks to be of good size - 6'2", 180 - if Point leaves. Not sure of his numbers. Of the forwards Arnaud Vachon at 6'2", 195 looks to be the most sizable. Jeff Stewart at 6'3", 165 looks to be a big, intimidating type but needs to put on some pounds.

Our recruit list looks pathetic on Heisenberg. Cornell, Harvard, QU and Clarkson each have a boatload of guys listed and some coming as far away as 2020. I don't see this reflected in our postings. One has to wonder if we are just not giving away secrets or if we are way behind in signing people?
                                COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Working...
                                X