Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 191

Thread: Colgate 2017-18

  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    279

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    All of the goal scorers in yesterday's win are sophomores and freshmen........a good sign, with a team laden with underclassmen. Colton looked good in goal. A good student crowd, too!! A great start to the season! Go 'Gate!!

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    467

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Overall, it is hard to be upset with a game that you score 5 goals and two pretty goals (McAvoy's backhand and McMann's kick to his stick). I am a little worried that we didnt get sustained pressure, but its early season and that could be helped by more practice time.

    It is nice to get the W but next week should be a good test. Merrimack is not supposed to be dominate in HE but it is still a HE school with some talent.
    Last edited by red133883; 10-02-2017 at 10:42 AM.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    31

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Also excited about this season, my first as a Colgate season-ticket-holder.
    Have been a University of Nebraska - Omaha (UNO) season-ticket-holder for years, but just moved back to upstate New York.
    Missed Saturday's game for last (auto) race of the season, but am now fully in college hockey mode.
    Purchased Frozen Four tickets last week, and have tickets in hand for Colgate at New Hampshire games on October 13-14, and RPI at Clarkson & Saint Lawrence on November 5-6.
    May travel to Canisius, too, on October 21 to see their unique arena in Buffalo (fifth floor rink?).
    Should be a fun season and (hopefully) a winning one.

  4. #24
    Signer of '65 Arena first beam.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    2,087

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
    Also excited about this season, my first as a Colgate season-ticket-holder.
    Have been a University of Nebraska - Omaha (UNO) season-ticket-holder for years, but just moved back to upstate New York.
    Missed Saturday's game for last (auto) race of the season, but am now fully in college hockey mode.
    Purchased Frozen Four tickets last week, and have tickets in hand for Colgate at New Hampshire games on October 13-14, and RPI at Clarkson & Saint Lawrence on November 5-6.
    May travel to Canisius, too, on October 21 to see their unique arena in Buffalo (fifth floor rink?).
    Should be a fun season and (hopefully) a winning one.
    Happy to have another 'Gate fan on board. Hope we don't disappoint you this season. But geez....you must put a lot of miles on your car..
    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Welcome aboard Nick, Trevor, Tyler, Henry, Paul, Josh, Nick and Evan"

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    31

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by ColSkate65 View Post
    Happy to have another 'Gate fan on board. Hope we don't disappoint you this season. But geez....you must put a lot of miles on your car..
    Thanks! And I do put a lot of miles on my car. he he he

    First and foremost, I am a college hockey fan.
    Second, I am a Colgate fan (two brothers, William Schmeh and Al Schmeh, both graduated from 'Gate).
    Third, I am an Omaha fan (closest D-1 hockey program to Knoxville, Iowa, where I lived for the last 28 years).
    Fourth, I am a fan of all other men's teams (except Cornell, North Dakota and Michigan).

    Besides being an Omaha season-ticket-holder in recent years, I have seen them (and others) at Note Dame, Colorado College, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Denver, Fairbanks, Alaska - Anchorage, Vermont, Minnesota State, Minnesota, Saint Cloud, Western Michigan, Ohio State, Miami (Ohio), Illinois - Chicago (defunct), Kansas City (Ice Breaker), Cincinnati (NCAA Regional), and most Frozen Four tournaments since 1991.

  6. #26
    Here every day
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    rome,n.y.13440 usa
    Posts
    6,072

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
    Also excited about this season, my first as a Colgate season-ticket-holder.
    Have been a University of Nebraska - Omaha (UNO) season-ticket-holder for years, but just moved back to upstate New York.
    Missed Saturday's game for last (auto) race of the season, but am now fully in college hockey mode.
    Purchased Frozen Four tickets last week, and have tickets in hand for Colgate at New Hampshire games on October 13-14, and RPI at Clarkson & Saint Lawrence on November 5-6.
    May travel to Canisius, too, on October 21 to see their unique arena in Buffalo (fifth floor rink?).
    Should be a fun season and (hopefully) a winning one.
    A serious fan, we need more of you! Welcome aboard.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

  7. #27
    Raider Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,441

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
    Fourth, I am a fan of all other men's teams (except Cornell
    We don't really like Cornell around here. Students are taught they're our biggest rival, although the Big Red view Harvard as their adversary.
    Colgate '09

  8. #28
    C'mon Q! MarkEagleUSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    113 @ the Bank!
    Posts
    10,317

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    We don't really like Cornell around here. Students are taught they're our biggest rival, although the Big Red view Harvard as their adversary.
    The Big Red treat everyone as an inferior rival!
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    467

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Does anyone know anything about Merrimack? It's there first games and supposed to be middle of the pack HE. Anyone we need to watch out for?

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    31

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by red133883 View Post
    Does anyone know anything about Merrimack? It's there first games and supposed to be middle of the pack HE. Anyone we need to watch out for?
    Merrimack
    Last season
    15-16-6, 8-8-6 Hockey East (7th); lost to New Hampshire in Hockey East first round

    Names to know
    Though Merrimack’s offense wasn’t exactly considered prolific a season ago (46th nationally), the team returns five of its top-six point getters. The glaring loss is Hampus Gustafsson, whose 15 goals led the team, but senior Brett Seney may be ready for his breakout season. Last year, Seney posted a career-high 31 points to lead Merrimack and has proven he has a nose for the net, twice recording double-digit goal season. The key player for this team, though, may be Drew Vogler. It’s hard to call Vogler a backup goaltender in his first two seasons, but he was playing alongside Collin Delia, who signed with Chicago in the offseason. Vogler will now be the go-to guy and have the chance to prove he can lead a team from the back end

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    35

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Seney, for sure our biggest offensive threat. He's a great player. Losing Delia was huge for us - Halladay (freshman) is a big recruit, and Vogler had some success his freshman year, but who knows what we're going to get from the goalie position.
    Historically we play a tight defensive and physical game because we can't really recruit with the HEA big boys. He hold our own though, especially at home. On the road we sometimes struggle so I'm expecting a split with you all.
    Last year we had huge wins against BU, BC, and Notre Dame and most of our roster returns so most of us are expecting a good season. Which for us would be around 5th or 6th in Hockey East.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    31

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Does Colgate typically try to sit on a two goal lead for an entire third period by just dumping the puck out? I was hoping I had seen the last of that strategy in Omaha. I think we were lucky tonight, but our goalie was on-point all night. Congrats ‘gate on the 2-1 win!!

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    467

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
    Does Colgate typically try to sit on a two goal lead for an entire third period by just dumping the puck out? I was hoping I had seen the last of that strategy in Omaha. I think we were lucky tonight, but our goalie was on-point all night. Congrats ‘gate on the 2-1 win!!
    The answer is unfortunately yes, but I also think that they just got tired and were trying not to get beat by getting themselves into bad positions. Hopefully, when it is further on in the season they will have a little more energy late in the game

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    72

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by red133883 View Post
    The answer is unfortunately yes, but I also think that they just got tired and were trying not to get beat by getting themselves into bad positions. Hopefully, when it is further on in the season they will have a little more energy late in the game
    Agree that we sat on the lead for a looonng time, but I'll take any win for a young team. Size difference was noticeable, I'm sure that contributed to our wearing down... on the flip side, if Point plays like that all year we will be in a lot of games. I also liked the effort out of our young guys, a definite step up from last year's team. Hopefully confidence is building!

  15. #35
    Signer of '65 Arena first beam.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Gate83 View Post
    Agree that we sat on the lead for a looonng time, but I'll take any win for a young team. Size difference was noticeable, I'm sure that contributed to our wearing down... on the flip side, if Point plays like that all year we will be in a lot of games. I also liked the effort out of our young guys, a definite step up from last year's team. Hopefully confidence is building!
    I agree about our recruits. It seems like they have stepped it up and are playing with an effort that has elevated our game. I guess good recruiting has brought in a promising bunch of guys. Didn't see all of the game due to transmission problems with PL Network/Stadium. Anyone else having problems? This happened with the NU game also....picture freezes or screen goes dark. What is this new "Stadium" outlet, anyone know?

    Just glad we got the win. Maybe we sweep MC this weekend...no pressure

  16. #36
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,614
    Quote Originally Posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
    Does Colgate typically try to sit on a two goal lead for an entire third period by just dumping the puck out? I was hoping I had seen the last of that strategy in Omaha. I think we were lucky tonight, but our goalie was on-point all night. Congrats ‘gate on the 2-1 win!!
    I was at the game last night. I think it was a combo of it being early season and guys still getting into game shape and maybe some young guys being ultra cautious. Overall I thought Gate played well and the keeper shut the door in the third. He's a big kid

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    31

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    For anyone who missed last night's Shots On Goal (SOG) summary...
    Merrimack out-shot Colgate 17-11 in the first period,
    Merrimack out-shot Colgate 12-6 in the second period,
    Merrimack out-shot Colgate 10-2 in the third period,
    For a total of 39-19 in favor of Merrimack.
    Even though we won 2-1 (thanks mainly to Colton Point in goal), those kind of SOG numbers will eventually catch up with any team.
    Let's out-shoot them tonight.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    224

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Hard to believe all the penalties we are taking and under normal circumstances (miraculously we just tied the game at 2/2) totally ruining our chances to go 3-0. Two players so far have been given game misconducts including our top scorer. Maybe I missed it but I haven't heard Gate Radio mention that the game misconducts means we lose both players for the next game too. Dumb, dumb, dumb. The whole penalty thing is a bad habit Colgate hockey has endured for years and usually pops up late in games when we re protecting a lead. Coach Vaughn who never has seemed to enforce the discipline to stop it in the past has to put an end to this right away with this young team or it will continue to haunt us. Come on coach start benching players for several shifts until they stop the stupidity. If they don't stop sit them
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-07-2017 at 09:15 PM.

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    467

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Game misconducts do not require an automatic suspension next week. We should have both next weekend.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    My happy place
    Posts
    1,223

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Still undefeated - I'll take it!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 3 guests)

  1. red133883

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •