Colgate 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2017-18

I know some say a bad night of hockey is better than no hockey at all, but I just don’t know. For the first time, I watched the game from the front row of the Sullivan Suite. Great view of that goaltender and end, but it really isn’t for me. Back to my season seat for tomorrow and next year. It’s pretty sad when my enjoyment tonight came from the chicken strips & pasta salad, and visiting with Colgate83 again, and new friends Russ from Hamilton, a couple from Latham (RPI fans), and a professor from Colgate (who reads this page religiously). I wish I was better with names. Anyway, let’s hope we get back on track tomorrow night. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
      Pathetic performance by Colgate tonight. To get shut out by the 11th place team at home — and it’s not like their goaltender had to stand on his head. Our forwards just don’t have any talent. If I’m Point I’m gone if I get any kind of pro offer.
      TchrBill - I love ya but I hope you’re not blaming Point for this loss.
      Were you out for coffee in the 2nd? I'd say y'all dominated that period, even there was nothing on the board to show for it.

Comment

Magoo, as long as Point doesn’t see an immediate pathway with the Stars, we should be lucky enough to keep him for two more years. If he remains all four years, he can wait it out until June 1 of the year he graduates and become a free agent (as several drafted college stars have done lately). If he decided to turn pro after this season, he’d have to sign with the Stars, who have his rights. In 2020 after June 1, he can sign with whatever team he thinks is best for his career.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Were you out for coffee in the 2nd? I'd say y'all dominated that period, even there was nothing on the board to show for it.
          We didn’t do much dominating in the 1st or 3rd periods.

Comment

So, there’s that.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmot View Post
              Magoo, as long as Point doesn’t see an immediate pathway with the Stars, we should be lucky enough to keep him for two more years. If he remains all four years, he can wait it out until June 1 of the year he graduates and become a free agent (as several drafted college stars have done lately). If he decided to turn pro after this season, he’d have to sign with the Stars, who have his rights. In 2020 after June 1, he can sign with whatever team he thinks is best for his career.
              Only goalie I recall ever signing that early was Keith Kinkaid of Union. Normally if goalies sign, and it's a REALLY big "if" because it's so much more difficult to make it in the pros as a goalie and will likely spend a lot of time in the A (they usually do anyway), there's something drastic that happens with the team, like a coach leaving. And especially with the immaturity of composure that has been exposed in the past few games, he's going to be sticking around for at least one more year. It wouldn't surprise me if he signs post-junior year, but no earlier than that.

Comment

Particularly with goalies as there are far fewer spots available per team, it would seem like it would be extremely advantageous to sign with a franchise with the easiest path to ascension (combined with other factors such as contract and quality of franchise). Controlling that decision certainly points to a benefit of remaining four years.

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
                  Colskate — it wasn’t so much Boxcast as it was our players being in stop action all night. Silver Puck should reimburse all of us who paid the $10 for that fiasco.
                  Good Magoo. I like that....+1
                  COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

I've been relating this stat for a while now, but it bears repeating...and I understand you can "play" with statistics, but this one is hard to get around and is emblematic of the issues we continue to face in MIH...entering this year the program had compiled a record of 1-32-3 against DI opponents that FINISH the year in the Pairwise Top 20. To me this is not an unfair method to measure success against the better teams in the country. The one win was against St. Cloud State in the first game of the 2014-15 season. So entering the year we were, sadly, non-winners in 35 straight games vs. such competition. IF the Pairwise stays as is we will now be 1-36-5 (note that Union is now #20 and WMU #21)...what this tells me is that DV is very solid at coaching teams with, at best, mediocre talent and getting the best out of the group. We are well coached defensively: good effort, good positioning generally, active sticks, shot blocking good. Our first instinct on the ice is to retreat, cutting down odd-man rushes. And I would guess that with the talent we currently have this conservative approach probably gives us the best chance to win. But look at last night...we could've had 2-3 breakaways during RPI's two PPs. We have ZERO short-handed goals this year and I've seen numerous chances to create some short-handed offense disappear. And I wonder if this philosophy has (and will) hurt our chances of recruiting top talent at the forward position. IMO Princeton can beat any time in the nation on given night (note the two 3-3 ties against St. Cloud this year). I remain hopeful, but skeptical, that the new arena will usher in a meaningful upgrade in recruiting. Over the past decade we've finished in the top 30 Pairwise (the midpoint of the 60 DI teams) only twice (courtesy of the Class of 2016). My frustration is turning into resignation. Again, coaching is one thing...fine...recruiting is another and on that score MIH merits no higher than a D+.

Comment

much better effort tonight, especially in light of Cosgrove and Austin absences...and, yes, credit to DV and coaching staff for personnel adjustments...

Comment

Congratulations to Colgate on a well-played series.

Good luck next weekend up in Potsdam.

Comment

And so, for the first time since 2008, we travel to Potsdam for a quarterfinal series since Clarkson. We certainly remember what happened in that playoff series.

Side note - men's basketball made it to the Patriot League Championship game this season, for the first time since ... 2008.

Hope history repeats itself on the hockey side of things!
                          Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                            Congratulations to Colgate on a well-played series.

Good luck next weekend up in Potsdam.
                            seconded
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

good luck to RPI going forward...your hockey history and fan support merit better than you've received in recent years (apparently the current administration is somewhat of a problem)...with a team that, like us, lacks scoring and had some injuries as well the effort was there...

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                                And so, for the first time since 2008, we travel to Potsdam for a quarterfinal series since Clarkson. We certainly remember what happened in that playoff series.

Side note - men's basketball made it to the Patriot League Championship game this season, for the first time since ... 2008.

Hope history repeats itself on the hockey side of things!
                                Pretty sure we won't be providing "Safety Band III", though.

Comment

Working...
                                X