Colgate 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2017-18

We were 2-3 on the powerplay again, a positive. Curious, no one has mentioned anything about Point's performance last night ? Was he hung out to dry, five goals ?
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
      Clarkson’s talent got to us in the third. I’m looking at their roster and they have a lot of freshmen and sophomores too. Of the 5 goals they scored, 2 were from a freshman and 2 were from a sophomore.
      What I meant was that you could see a deflated feeling after the first goal in the third, then they couldnt recover because the mindset was not the best. My youth comment was about a mindset after a tough goal and the ability to mentally recover.

Point, made some mistakes, but recovered many times. I think he got flustered after the third goal. Ill take it as a learning experience. It was one game, 2 points, but only that we are still ahead of schedule and played pretty well
      Last edited by red133883; 11-18-2017, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
        We were 2-3 on the powerplay again, a positive. Curious, no one has mentioned anything about Point's performance last night ? Was he hung out to dry, five goals ?
        Point was good. The only big hiccup I saw was the rebound he pushed out into the slot during the first or second goal (I forget which). It was an easy goal for the Knight who was positioned right there. Otherwise he really couldn't do much on most other goals. Not his fault.

"Mama said there would be days like this, oh yeah Moma said..."

Young team, can't expect them to win every game. As others have pointed out hopefully this was a learning experience. Coming from 3-4 goals down may have taught them something about how difficult it is, and how you can't let down even when tied 1-1 (not that they let down). Hope for a different outcome tonite but SLU has to be hungry. Hope it's not a trap game for us. Let's go out with a win in our last 2017 game at '65.
        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Well it wasn't pretty but we get the "W" and the weekend split.
          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

We'll carry a 4-1-1 league record into the 2018 calendar year. We also earned overall win #7 tonight, when last season we didn't hit that mark until February. Things are certainly trending upwards for us!
            Colgate '09

Comment

• Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
              Well it wasn't pretty but we get the "W" and the weekend split.
              Yep, we'll take it. Looks like Clarkson is the real deal this year, so no shame coming away with two points this weekend. Let's go 'gate!

Comment

If we were given the option of a 7-3-4 record after 14 games we all would have signed up for it in a heart beat. We only had 8 wins all regular season. To be honest it is great that no matter what happens the next time we see the team they will be no worse than .500. The past two years I’ve been doing the math to see when we will be at .500.

It really looks like there are two stratospheres in the league and we are on the cusp of the top one. Hopefully when we come back we will show we are in the top of the league

Comment

Clarkson's 4-0 win at Lynah tonight was HUGE.
                  Our win at home was good, but we should have had an easier time with SLU (is this their worst season start in school history?).
                  Much of the game, we were more lucky than good. Twice they pinged it off the pipes surrounding Point, who continues to give up some scary rebounds.
                  Having said that, I am the first to admit that a win is a win. We just need to keep learning and keep improving.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                    Clarkson's 4-0 win at Lynah tonight was HUGE.
                    Our win at home was good, but we should have had an easier time with SLU (is this their worst season start in school history?).
                    The Watertown Daily Times writer for SLU stated that it was the worst start after the Cornell loss Friday.

Comment

Will take the home split against a North Country duo which is hard for any team to sweep. Hopefully our record against the Knights at Cheel will have pucks bouncing our way in 2018. For a depleted team, SLU was in it the entire game. Despite their record, it was nice to see their fans make the trip, as they usually do. Feels like Colgate could go either way on any given night. Come playoff time, my guess is any team would prefer not to play the Raiders with Point in goal. Great start to the season after such abysmal season predictions. Am not getting overconfident by any means; wins over ranked teams (Harvard, Qpac) that haven't happened in decades were great, but feel a bit hollow now as those teams sink. The loss to Clarkson killed us in the PWR. We managed to squeak 2 goals by Kielly, compared to Cornell's goose egg vs. the Knights at Lynah.

From the Clarkson athletics page:
                      Clarkson, which defeated 19th-ranked Colgate 5-2 in Hamilton on Friday, earns it first regular-season series sweep of the Central NY rivals since late in the 1996-97 campaign. The Knights improve to 6-0-0 in league play for their best start in the conference since 1991-92.
                      C O L G A T E
                      2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                      1990 NCAA FINALS
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                      ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                      ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
                        Am not getting overconfident by any means; wins over ranked teams (Harvard, Qpac) that haven't happened in decades were great, but feel a bit hollow now as those teams sink. The loss to Clarkson killed us in the PWR. We managed to squeak 2 goals by Kielly, compared to Cornell's goose egg vs. the Knights at Lynah.
                        [/I]
                        Nice win by you guys last night. I watched and have to say a couple of things.
                        -Your TV feed and announcer are top notch. Thanks for the free feed. Your announcer (sorry I don't know his name) is among the more knowledgeable, fair, interesting and he knows so much about us that it is refreshing to listen to and hear. The video quality is excellent although I couldn't get it to load on my expensive curved screen HD TV and had to settle for watching it on my laptop. (It just wouldn't load on my TV. It'd get all the way to the link....show the SLU vs. Colgate logo, and then say..... Event not Live and flip to another screen.

-We are having an architectural study done on Appleton and one of the goals is to research and look into what we need to do to improve our feed for fans watching from away. Yours is an excellent one to model after.

-As to the game........we played our best game in a while and still came up short. We are having an abysmal season (most of which I blame on our coach.) The injury bug has hit us big time. Last year we had wrists and concussions. This year its worse. It's knee's and concussions. Marnell who is arguably one of our top scorers suffered what I think is his 5th and I've not heard anything official but he could be done. The knee's are more troubling. We've lost a couple of good players for what I think is the season. Plus Laidley who is one of our more talented players, suffered a serious knee injury last year and he STILL isn't back.

_As to the PWR.......one would hope that Q Pac and Harvard will improve and help you out. Victories over them at this point while impressive......are not what we'd thought they'd be. Both Harvard and Q Pac have lost a bunch of games and their rankings are highly inflated. They are both going to drop like stones in polls.
                        SLU

Comment

No rest for this upcoming weekend, Western Mich. is tied with Clarkson at #3 in the PWR and first place in the NCHC.
                          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

# 2 ( 2 PWR, 13-1 ) 'gate WIH sweeps Yale & Brown, heads to Windjammer Classic @ Vermont over TG wkend

"Feels like a #2 ranking tomorrow..." was prophetic by go'gate, reflecting a potential swapping of places with #2 Boston College. BC, now 10-1-2, gave up a tie to Conn. over the weekend. I thought the move to the #2 spot would likely follow a potential sweep of Cornell Dec. 1 & 2.

I hope the Cornell series doesn't distract 'gate from the serious business in front of it at the Windjammer Classic against Minnesota Duluth on Friday and the winner of the Vermont/RIT game on Saturday. I still have a slight concern about 'gate's sluggishness in its 2nd games on weekends. Other than that, no complaints......isn't this a blast ?
                            Last edited by Raider Archivist; 11-20-2017, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Colgate athletics in general...what a euphoric feeling for a school of Colgate's size to excel in so many ways. Men's soccer advancing to the Sweet 16; WIH making historic strides, MIH silencing the critics with a very respectable performance so far, MBB off to their best start in years (sorry to laugh, we're a mere 2-1!)...and even thrilled and hopeful for Field Hockey. I know a committed recruit for next year from Westchester who is thrilled with Coach Cornell and particularly with Colgate. FB wins 9th PL Championship, Coach Hunt a finalist for COTY (nice, but unlikely); QB Breneman a finalist for ROTY...we're winning more than we're losing, morale is high, and even the stunning Class of 1965 Arena earns LEED Gold Certification! We also have a President and VP who value athletics. It is a remarkable season and students/fans need to get out and support the players, coaches, and the University. Congrats to all at Colgate who make this possible. There is much maroon pride to go around.
                              C O L G A T E
                              2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                              1990 NCAA FINALS
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                              ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                              ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Who would have thought, at the beginning of the season, that we would be #18 in the country??? Great job, boys!!! Go 'Gate!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X