Colgate 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2017-18

MC Warrior1011 thanks very much...too many hockey "dads" like this...

Comment

Following up on Green Coat’s time period as above, we had three winning seasons in those 12 years and were a total of 43 games under .500.

Those, along with Krach, are the numbers.

Can anyone say objectively that those are ok?

Furthermore, can anyone honestly say they think they will improve?

This is where we are. The rink is not a panacea.

Comment

Furthermore, with Point gone, unless we hit a miracle with one of the frosh goalies I honestly think we will be hard pressed to reach 10 wins.

Comment

I don't generally disagree with Marmot...we're both, shall we say, "skeptical" about the fortunes of the program...but I do think we can scratch out 15 wins this year (a pretty talented group of D-men will help) assuming our goaltending is decent...15-21-3 sounds reasonable, with another KRACH positioning in the high 30s...

Comment

This sounds like a fun game.
            Pick ‘Gate’s record, post-Point.
            EX: 1-0
            NC: 6-6
            EC: 7-15
            Submitted by: Tom S.

Comment

So, yesterday I said we will be “hard pressed to reach 10 wins.”

Upon reading Green Coat’s latest post, perhaps I was being unduly pessimistic.

After all, I do very much agree with Green Coat in that I like our defensemen (both being solid defensively and contributing on offense). That said, I am concerned about our ability to score. And I am deeply concerned about our goaltending situation. I mean, it is a complete wildcard; we have precisely 0 minutes of collegiate experience from our goaltending group. Hopefully, one of them will stand out and earn the #1 job. But even in the absolute best case scenario, even a solid #1 will be a tremendous downgrade from what Point gave us last year; he had arguably (unassailably?) the best goaltending season in school history. Point himself in 2018/19 was unlikely to be the Point of 2017/18. Which is a very long winded way of saying our goalies are a HUGE question mark

With that looming uncertainty, I revise my statement as follows:

I would not be shocked if we don’t reach double figure wins.

A distinction with a difference.
              Last edited by Marmot; 08-09-2018, 05:42 PM.

Comment

And as I said before, I completely support Point turning pro. Although I would have loved him to stay, I think it was unequivocally the best decision for him. He is in a professional system with a player at his position the same age and drafted four rounds earlier in the same draft. By joining the Stars this year and maintaining the momentum he gained at ‘Gate last season, he has a unique opportunity to entrench himself as their #1 goaltending prospect moving forward. I can’t fault that.
                Last edited by Marmot; 08-09-2018, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Interesting that Kyle Baun is now playing with Darcy Murphy and Spiro Goulakos in Ireland and the Belfast Giants. Go 'Gate!

Comment

For anyone in the know, I have an alumnis friend who wants to make a sizeable donation to the rink to bring back "The Raider Lounge" for between period libation in the rink at the games. It used to be fun to meet and greet before the games and between periods. Not everyone can afford the current $500 plus season ticket charge to sit in the end zone, which to me are the worst seats in the rink anyways. Anyone who can help with this or knows who the people we should talk to please let me know. Would be nice to be able to get a beer in the rink like we used to in the bowling alley.
                    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                      For anyone in the know, I have an alumnis friend who wants to make a sizeable donation to the rink to bring back "The Raider Lounge" for between period libation in the rink at the games. It used to be fun to meet and greet before the games and between periods. Not everyone can afford the current $500 plus season ticket charge to sit in the end zone, which to me are the worst seats in the rink anyways. Anyone who can help with this or knows who the people we should talk to please let me know. Would be nice to be able to get a beer in the rink like we used to in the bowling alley.
                      I would contact either Brian Grady or Kate Saeger in Advancement. Their contact info is on the athletics web site.

Comment

Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

I just read that Colgate's new president is a total supporter of the athletic program, even has some very lofty goals even though they're probably unrealistic. This is very good news, we definitely need something positive on this thread.
                          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                            I just read that Colgate's new president is a total supporter of the athletic program, even has some very lofty goals even though they're probably unrealistic. This is very good news, we definitely need something positive on this thread.
                            Certainly a step in the right direction towards what I was talking about previously. Perhaps you'll see some investments within the next couple of years to go with it.

Comment

related to the comment: "Perhaps we'll see some investments within the next couple of years..." Folks...we've already made it...$38M to be exact...and it's a great facility, both externally and internally...but if we don't get tangibly better too many seats will be empty and the place will be silent...sad, but true...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                                related to the comment: "Perhaps we'll see some investments within the next couple of years..." Folks...we've already made it...$38M to be exact...and it's a great facility, both externally and internally...but if we don't get tangibly better too many seats will be empty and the place will be silent...sad, but true...
                                There's more than physical investments. How are you going to get John Q Public to become aware that a night at the arena is going to be a good time for the family?

Comment

Working...
                                X