Colgate 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2017-18

And how does it even work having two goalies? Are we going to recruit a third? I’d think we’d have to. What if someone gets hurt?

Is there any other school in the country with *NO* returning goalies?

Comment

I'm tired of the kumbaya here. Whatever happened to loyalty? When a player signs a letter of intent is there a clause in there that says "I'll commit to Colgate's hockey program(...unless there's $$$ on the table, in which case I'll bolt to the pros.") I know times have changed and one has to look at the future, but remember we're a D-1 college with a great academic reputation and great athletic tradition. What would happen to our teams if every pro prospect left Hamilton their sophomore or junior year? Think about it. How would our football team field a competitive squad if the best players left to play Arena Football? Or if the best women hockey players left for the pros?

I'm just sayin' - loyalty to one's school means a lot. Finish what you start. Whatever happened to maintaining a commitment?
      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
        When a player signs a letter of intent is there a clause in there that says "I'll commit to Colgate's hockey program(...unless there's $$$ on the table, in which case I'll bolt to the pros.")
        I'm not positive but I think the NLI is only valid for 1 year the same way scholarships are only awarded 1 year at a time.

I do agree about the loyalty aspect but when you're pursuing a dream it changes most folks.
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Try this:

You're offered a 4 year full ride to study chemical engineering. You carry a 4.0 and after your sophomore year internship at Exxon-Mobil, they offer you a job paying 6 figures, plus they'll fund the rest of your education.

Should you stay or go?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
            I'm not positive but I think the NLI is only valid for 1 year the same way scholarships are only awarded 1 year at a time.

I do agree about the loyalty aspect but when you're pursuing a dream it changes most folks.
            You are absolutely correct about the NLI.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Try this:

You're offered a 4 year full ride to study chemical engineering. You carry a 4.0 and after your sophomore year internship at Exxon-Mobil, they offer you a job paying 6 figures, plus they'll fund the rest of your education.

Should you stay or go?
              Stay...to finish out the 4 years. Make Exxon-Mobil understand that you want to fulfill your commitment to college and you'll take the 6 figure salary after the 4 years....just sayin'.....plus you'll be more mature ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                Stay...to finish out the 4 years. Make Exxon-Mobil understand that you want to fulfill your commitment to college and you'll take the 6 figure salary after the 4 years....just sayin'.....plus you'll be more mature ;-)
                Only because Exxon-Mobil requires the degree in order to be able to work for them, yet they see the potential that they want to lock up the rights to you now.

College hockey, like pretty much every league except for the NHL, is a development league. If the kid isn't ready for the pros, this gives them a chance to development their talents and fulfill their potential. They're not going to sign a kid without offering at least a two-way contract involving the NHL. Obviously hockey's drafting system is very unique compared to other sports in that they recognize the need to develop, and therefore holds the rights for four years instead of requiring immediate signing. There's no requirement to have a college degree, or be a certain number of years removed from schooling, like the NBA and NFL have, to join the professional ranks in this line. And before you think about wanting said requirement for hockey, may I remind you that college hockey is not monopolistic, unlike other sports, and any kid with any sort of aspiration to go to the professional ranks, which in D-I is pretty much everyone, will go to Major Junior because of the artificial requirement.

Point is not abandoning Colgate. The powers that be, along with himself, believe he's ready to take the next step in his career to the professional level. That's the nature of a development league. Sure, sometimes it will work out well, and sometimes it will be a bust, as we've seen plenty of times in both directions from many teams. The best thing that can be done is to support the kid that effectively "grew up in your backyard" as he tests his wings in the wide world, as he will always have roots with Colgate.

Comment

According to Heisenberg, Jared Marino has decommitted from coming. Also Heisenberg says Arnaud Vachon is coming this year but college commitments says 2019, does anyone know ?
                  It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                    According to Heisenberg, Jared Marino has decommitted from coming. Also Heisenberg says Arnaud Vachon is coming this year but college commitments says 2019, does anyone know ?
                    It looks like 6 coming including 2 goalies. Only 4 D-men or Forwards? That isn't going to do it IMO. Unless we get someone to replace Marino, we're dealing from behind. How are we going to be a legitimate contender in the league if we're shorthanded...especially without Point? Can't answer your Vachon question.

Comment

Brock Men's Hockey

@BrockMensHockey
                      Jun 28
                      More
                      Excited to announce the committment of forward Jared Marino from the West Kelowna Warriors in the BCHL. Welcome Jared!
                      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

We are actually bringing in one more skater than we lost. The shortfall is at 3rd goaltender so I don’t think that will be a big problem. The larger issue in my mind is our lack of bench depth both in commitments and, more importantly in roster size. A fair number of our competitors carry an additional 2-3 players. My understanding is that Colgate made a decision to limit the team size. That’s a decision that makes no sense to me given the size of the lax and soccer team rosters and I think hurts us competitively (less capacity to absorb recruiting misses, fewer opportunities at an unexpected gem) and ups the risk of an injured player returning too early or hiding the injury in the first place.

Comment

The girls don't have a numbers problem, something is wrong here.
                          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                            The girls don't have a numbers problem, something is wrong here.
                            I count 27 on last year's roster (9 D and 3 G, which means 15 F). That actually seems normal, especially considering you have 9 walk-ons and 18 scholarships, you're only able to dress effectively 20 for a game (sure you could dress the third string, but they're typically there for practice purposes except in extreme circumstances), and the league only permits you 3 changes for who is dressed in a weekend. Having one more skater next year makes sense because of the rule change where you're allowed an extra skater to dress. I don't see a depth issue at all, at least not relative to other teams. I could understand your concern if you had less, and you don't really want too many more since ice time really becomes a concern.

Comment

Recent events simply re-emphasize the point: the program still bears the responsibility for demonstrating that the (state-of-the-art) Class of 65 Arena has been worth the cost, at least as it pertains to MEN's hockey...at least at this point I look out another two years regarding incoming recruits and see good, but not outstanding, DI-capable hockey players...I have enjoyed the discussion above, but the more things change with our men's hockey program, the more they stay the same...anybody who is, at this point, not getting rather impatient has a temperament that is remarkable (or they are below 50 years of age)...I have neither luxury...

Comment

I'm confused. CHN is reporting that 19 players can now dress for games. I assume this is a change from 18. Can someone clarify this.

Also there seems to be a kerfuffle about the shootout returning. From what I've read there are conflicting reports as to whether it can be used only in regular season games or in the post-season. Also the question of each league determining on their own as to keeping OT or going with the shootout. Can someone provide the straight skinny on this? Would the ECAC adopt the shootout?

Comment

Working...
                                X