Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Colgate 2017-18

Re: Colgate 2017-18

agree with Marmot...next year's forwards seem to be OK, but certainly not overwhelming on paper...Mark Gallant, originally out of the Groton School, seems to be interesting, but I don't know if he's a 2018 or 2019 commit. And yes, Q-Pac is having an off year...at present we are actually having an above average year vis-a-vis the average record of our teams over the past 12 years...and yes The Bank opened in 2007, but Q-Pac was transitioning to a DI program and quickly became an above average program WELL BEFORE 2013...and frankly, as far as "foresight" goes, a number of us have been fearful of the program's direction for the past 5 to 10 years (thank God for the kids who graduated in 2016)...we have not been competitive in recruiting in the USHL for years. Smith, McIntire, Wagner all studs, no doubt...but it's the depth of talent at forward that has been a problem since 2004-2005 when we could skate a very solid fourth line. I, along with several others, hope to be dead wrong...we have all invested a lot of passion and loyalty to Colgate Hockey...we all (I think) have a great deal of respect for DV, both as a coach and as an individual...and personally I am really hoping we can add some needed skill and speed to our team with the team we have at present. I just don't see it presently looking out another 2 to 3 years...

Signer of '65 Arena first beam.

There's an old saying in hockey, "Each game is like the painted lady down on the corner; you never know which side of the dame is gonna show up." Take it game by game. You never know what might happen in Potsdam tonight. 'Gate could surprise all of you. It could happen.....
    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Great job Nick, Trevor, Tyler, Henry, Paul, Josh, Nick and Evan"

since I have no life ColSkate65 that would make my weekend...we all bleed maroon...

Here every day

I refuse to give up, been here too long. The old rink was our excuse, give it a few more years people, maybe down to our last hope. Greeny I'm a Browns fan too but thank God I'm also a bruins fan since Robert Orr.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

well, until recently my allegiance to "Hockeytown's" Red Wings helped assuage the pain...

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
    well, until recently my allegiance to "Hockeytown's" Red Wings helped assuage the pain...
    You all need to switch to the Rangers....

How about Clarkson 0, Cornell 0? A battle of titans. Bet that game was something to witness.
    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Great job Nick, Trevor, Tyler, Henry, Paul, Josh, Nick and Evan"

I guess I'm beating a horse here, but as to "Marmot's" point regarding Tim Taylor, who, to his credit took a Yale program out of the dark ages...through his first 17 seasons Taylor was 198-222-28, a winning percentage of .473; his last 12 seasons he went 139-211-17 (.404). Regarding DV...first 13 years 224-196-42 (.530); last 12 3/4 years 178-220-54 (.454)...Taylor dropped .069%/DV has dropped .076%...no one can question the positive contributions to their respective programs. I just hope we can reverse a long-term decline in the success of the program...any way/any how...

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
    and yes The Bank opened in 2007, but Q-Pac was transitioning to a DI program and quickly became an above average program WELL BEFORE 2013...
    We outgrew Atlantic Hockey... not sure I would call that above average. And yes, we excelled almost immediately upon joining the ECAC in '05-'06. But in terms of recruiting, we didn't attract any exceptional talent until we had the Bank to show off. The Jones brothers, Matt Peca, Sam Anas, Devon Toews, Travis St. Denis were all recruited using the Bank as a tool. As for Q's troubles this year, it boils down to bringing in recruits that simply did not pan out and become as good as people thought they would. It happens, even with great facilities.

How many current players and already committed recruits have actually seen the inside of the Class of '65 rink? I agree with shabby on the 3-4 year timetable (based solely on using the rink as a recruiting tool). I realize there are other factors that come into play but facilities have to be a big part. Simply put, your new rink has absolutely no direct bearing on the performance of this year's team based on recruiting unless you have several kids who committed during or after last season and matriculated this year.

I didn't come here to stir the pot or ruffle any feathers. If I have, I apologize.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four

always appreciate the input...everyone in the ECAC should strive to achieve what you guys have accomplished in Hamden...and I love where you go to bring in talent: everywhere...

Does anyone know why Bruce Racine was chosen to be in net this weekend? Did John McGraw say anything? Just wondering. Thanks. Go 'Gate!!

Point injured tonight, was dressed yesterday

I guess now we know why Point is not playing.

Hopefully the injury is not too bad.

I'll take a tie.....good tie

Nice comeback in the 3rd. Beauty of a goal from #9. Too bad we couldn't get the winner, but a tie ain't bad against the Nights.

Iím really glad Racine got the tie. He sure as heck earned it with a solid performance.

Nice to see McMann step up. As I pointed out the other day, he was the AJHL league MVP; as one of our few upper echelon recruits he needs to play at that level. He looked great in the third.

they never quit and that's all you can ask for from any team (and especially playing in Potsdam against the #7-ranked team)...maybe, just maybe some more goals are coming...I don't want to finish 9th...

Sets up a huge game Friday. Hope Point is back!

Here every day

Turned the game off at 3-1, got a very pleasant surprise this am. That point might prove to put us home for the opening round of the playoffs.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
    The new rink in and of itself will not make us magically competitive after 3-4 years.
    The new rink is very significant. I understand this partially because I've followed the women's program turnaround over the past 3 years as closely as any 'Gate alum. Do you remember how moribund WIH was before the turnaround--how about a slot above "Kathy Foto Field Hockey ?" With a 2017-18 regular season ECAC co-championship ( Colgate-Clarkson ) a weekend away from being a fait accompli, I think there's going to be a delayed reaction within the Colgate community about how significant this turnaround and the rink are in Colgate athletic history. There's no doubt in my mind that the 38 mill investment in Class of '65 has facilitated a foundation and will continue to play a role in a quasi-elite WIH program's emgence at 'Gate. ( Disclaimer: this will happen--but let's not be ridiculous and expect a linear path. )

I think it will be interesting to follow how this WIH Cinderella success story may evolve. In the next stage, home-grown perfotmance within this 38 mil arena with all of its hockey toys and tools enters into symbiosis with 'Gate's education story/'Gate's Div I student-athlete niche. A perfect metaphor for telling both the Colgate athletic and the Colgate instituional story to more audiences than just hockey recruits. The perspective this story conveys about Colgate is significantly unique. Enter the next stage of Program development necessary to become a "quasi-elite" WIH Program--an ingrained process to sustain a high level of performance. ( Historically, this hasn't followed "blip performance years" at 'Gate. Think MIH NCAA 1990, Foyle basketball, Baum lax, etc. ) As Colgate's new WIH coach, Fargo brought the experience of a former D-III coach working out of a decaying aircraft hanger looking arena. But he was armed with a vision. He found the recruits who today, as champions, admit they were taking a chance when they bought in. But, Fargo was able to lead and teach them. And they all started to execute the vision together--making it up on the fly-- even as the building was still being crafted around them. Keep your eye on the next part of the story: how the conjoining of resources mentioned above helps move the program to this next level. The quote above is correct--it's not "magic." Nevertheless a note to the men's program community seems appropriate--there wasn't an auto-pilot "how to" manual that came along with the keys to the new arena.
    Last edited by Raider Archivist; 02-11-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider Archivist View Post
    The new rink is very significant. I understand this partially because I've followed the women's program turnaround over the past 3 years as closely as any 'Gate alum. Do you remember how moribund WIH was before the turnaround--how about a slot above "Kathy Foto Field Hockey ?" With a 2017-18 regular season ECAC co-championship ( Colgate-Clarkson ) a weekend away from being a fait accompli, I think there's going to be a delayed reaction within the Colgate community about how significant this turnaround and the rink are in Colgate athletic history. There's no doubt in my mind that the 38 mill investment in Class of '65 has facilitated a foundation and will continue to play a role in a quasi-elite WIH program's emgence at 'Gate. ( Disclaimer: this will happen--but let's not be ridiculous and expect a linear path. )

I think it will be interesting to follow how this WIH Cinderella success story may evolve. In the next stage, home-grown perfotmance within this 38 mil arena with all of its hockey toys and tools enters into symbiosis with 'Gate's education story/'Gate's Div I student-athlete niche. A perfect metaphor for telling both the Colgate athletic and the Colgate instituional story to more audiences than just hockey recruits. The perspective this story conveys about Colgate is significantly unique. Enter the next stage of Program development necessary to become a "quasi-elite" WIH Program--an ingrained process to sustain a high level of performance. ( Historically, this hasn't followed "blip performance years" at 'Gate. Think MIH NCAA 1990, Foyle basketball, Baum lax, etc. ) As Colgate's new WIH coach, Fargo brought the experience of a former D-III coach working out of a decaying aircraft hanger looking arena. But he was armed with a vision. He found the recruits who today, as champions, admit they were taking a chance when they bought in. But, Fargo was able to lead and teach them. And they all started to execute the vision together--making it up on the fly-- even as the building was still being crafted around them. Keep your eye on the next part of the story: how the conjoining of resources mentioned above helps move the program to this next level. The quote above is correct--it's not "magic." Nevertheless a note to the men's program community seems appropriate--there wasn't an auto-pilot "how to" manual that came along with the keys to the new arena.
    This is all very well and good. But you still have to go out and get the players - "recruiting" it's called. Until the men's side does that we are not going to move forward. Greg Fargo had a vision and the chutzpa to go out and make the WIH program a huge success in a short period of time. While we have made some small baby steps with the men's program - IMHO - we still haven't cracked the big-time recruit-wise. Take a look at what's happened to Clarkson, a doormat that has turned itself around in one or two years, with a new coach. Conversely QU has gone from the penthouse to the doghouse very quickly. It's all about getting the players and beating the bushes before we can be a perennial contender. But you know all that....

Thread Information