Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Colgate 2017-18

Re: Colgate 2017-18

It doesnít matter; we canít score.

Result was pathetic.

But altogether unsurprising.

Periods two and three tonight were perhaps the two worst periods of Colgate hockey I have seen in a decade (and I've got, sadly, a lot of bad hockey to choose from)...they are also a total indictment of our very mediocre program...Coach Morris knows how to play his alma mater - press the play constantly since we haven't the speed nor the skill to effectively counterattack...can't fault Racine on at least the first three goals BTW...God would I sell my soul for a couple of Mike Marnells...gee, I thought the new arena was going to usher in a new era? I'm still waiting...and the hockey we play (boring as hell) is a function of having no alternative...collectively our forwards would rank near the bottom of Atlantic Hockey and, as I said before, it looks like we've got the same genre of player coming in next year...again I hope I'm dead wrong - and we somehow manage to compete with Clarkson tomorrow night - but I've been whining about this problem for ten years and with the exception of the talented Class of 2016 we have made NO progress in upgrading the talent pool in Hamilton. Thank God I'm going out tomorrow night so I don't have to abuse myself watching the inevitable...

This is about the point in the season when I make my annual Tim Taylor comparison. And talk about how we have had three winning seasons in the last eleven. Itís looking an awful lot like itís going to be three winning seasons in the last twelve.

Those are the ugly facts.

Letís be honest; nothing will improve with the status quo. Weíve seen this for more than a decade now.

Spot On Marmot...I call it "Tim Taylor Disease" and the parallels are scary...funny thing you mentioned this because last night i was able to explain "Tim Taylor Disease" to a very close Yale friend of mine...if that's the case more suffering is ahead...looks like I'll now look forward to the NFL Draft and my beloved Cleveland Browns...

Well, on the bright side, when Yale went from Taylor to Allain their whole program changed. It took a few years, but it did.

Who is our Allain?

Knowing Colgate he probably hasn't been born yet...

Or heís already coaching and we wonít hire him.

well, maybe you're right...and since bitterness always brings out my creative side i should think about this issue TONIGHT

Dan Wildfong has had a very successful coaching career in the NAHL. His club won their league last year and has tons of players going D I.

actually knew this and I always like the way he played...tough hombre who competed way above his height and weight...actually quite a bit like Fogarty...seriously, this issue is quite sad (or at least is becoming that way)...Tim Taylor's leaving was a very, very tough decision and I know it affected him quite a bit...but something has to change and reasonably fast...

Jesse Winchester is having a very successful rookie season in Brockville.

Plus, he brings the gravitas of having made the NHL from Colgate.

And letís not forget that he was instrumental in convincing the Spinks to come to Hamilton.
    Last edited by Marmot; 02-09-2018 at 09:05 PM.

It certainly is not easy mulling a change with someone like Coach Vaughan who has been synonymous with Colgate hockey for a quarter century.

But if change did happen, maybe it would work for everyone if it was someone that learned from Don. He certainly seems to have coached many who have gone on to become quality coaches.
    Last edited by Marmot; 02-09-2018 at 10:02 PM.

all true...DV is a class guy and has been a real asset to Colgate...my hope is that he can turn this thing around but, as Frank Lane - the despised GM of the Cleveland Indians - used to say: "Sympathy? Oh sympathy...you find it in the dictionary between 's**t' and 'syphilis'..." Maybe we will get better, but I'm a glass half-empty guy...hell, I've been a Browns fan since 1957...

Go 'Gate!
    That is a darn funny quote GC.
    Even if Point had started, I still picked us to lose in this weekís poll; the sad reality of this program is itís continued spiral into sub-mediocrity and after tonight, its questionable coaching decisions that are downgrading the program. Assuming Point was healthy, DV should be embarrassed and apologize to his players. He also assumed SLU was beatable by a second-string goalie and got burned. Recruits must shake their heads and think twice about coming here: ďNice arena and school with a sad track record, hmmmmmm...Ē. This is why players like Point and McDonald and Smith rarely come to Colgate, and why others like Baun donít stay. We can guess which star player will bolt early, and for good reason.

Go 'Gate!
    Steve Spott

could be the best choice of all...as far as the program goes, anyone can see the disparity in talent, at least at the front end...and I know where we stand in the recruiting competition: it's against Vermont, Holy Cross, and the Robert Morrises of the world...we continue to lose kids to Cornell (big surprise) and others...honestly is sometimes pretty painful...

Wow... tough crowd here, but I can understand the frustration. In regards to those that feel the new arena should help with recruiting, I think it will but it's not a case of instant gratification. Since these kids are recruited 3-4 years out, how many have actually seen the new rink? While I'm no expert on this subject, I think you're probably another 2-3 seasons away from seeing that benefit (based on having 2 full recruiting classes that could be influenced by the rink).
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four

Here every day

Thanks Mark, you have more foresight than most of the people here. You're going thru an off year also. How many years after the new rink was built at Q-Pac did you guys start reaping the benefits ??
    I've said before it will take 3-4 years.
    Last edited by sshablak; 02-10-2018 at 09:06 AM.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Quote Originally Posted by sshablak View Post
    Thanks Mark, you have more foresight than most of the people here. You're going thru an off year also. How many years after the new rink was built at Q-Pac did you guys start reaping the benefits ??
    I've said before it will take 3-4 years.
    I started following when the Bank opened in '07. We went to the Frozen Four in '13, but saw continual improvement along the way.

If you guys remember Reid Cashman, he was recruited based on the plans for the facility and got to play the last half of his senior year there. I've heard he, and others, say that being able to actually bring kids into the facility makes all the difference in the world, so your 3-4 year guess seems to be spot on. Simply opening the doors to a new rink isn't going to help overnight.

As for our season, I'd trade it for yours at the moment... This too shall pass...
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four

The new rink in and of itself will not make us magically competitive after 3-4 years. Next year is Year 3; I do not see any Smiths or Spinks in next yearís recruits. Heck, I donít even see any McManns. Same holds true for Year 4. I do not see anyone on Heisenberg who looks to be an elite talent. Not only do we not have any guys who are among the best in their leagues we do not even have any guys who are best on their teams.

Letís be honest, the only reason we are rising to mediocrity is that we have a phenomenal goalie. Without him weíd be one of the worst teams in the country. He gives us the illusion of being slightly sub-average.

Can any of us honestly look at the talent we have now and the incoming talent and think we will suddenly become good?

Thread Information