Colgate 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2017-18

Throw Dartmouth in there as another one with a schedule that varies by a couple of weeks. Agree it's a good idea to try to schedule when the kids are there, will mention to Vicky!

Comment

I saw an awful lot of empty seats at the Harvard and Dartmouth games. I hope folks bought tickets and then went to standing room, but it doesn't look good on the streaming

I know Shabby was standing
      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
        When I was a student, we still had classes the Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving week. Professors would schedule exams or have assignments due on either of those two days so the classes wouldn't get "skipped". The students getting a week off for Thanksgiving is a good thing though, since it allows them to rest up before final exams. But since the university started giving students a week off, it seems like two of our home league games are still scheduled for the weekend before Thanksgiving. In fact, this season, *FIVE* of our 11 league home games are at the beginning, middle, or end of a break from classes - including our home tilt vs. Cornell! I know the ECAC creates a block schedule, and Colgate/Cornell then pick open dates to schedule their games against each other, but 'Gate should request being on the road the weekend before Thanksgiving, and in early January. The league already accommodates open weekends for Union and Princeton with their odd exam schedules.
        That's just awful that the kids won't be there for the Cornell game, I don't like it. Also, if we get home playoff games, the kids are on spring break !

They are mute during the games but a packed house is always good. I'm sure some of our recruits are brought in for the Cornell game, half full doesn't bode well.
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

The residents halls open on Jan. 20th.......I think you'll see a lot of students back and hopefully at the Cornell game.

Comment

We're front and center in this week's ECAC hockey column.

Also, NESN play-by-play man Jack Edwards gave Colgate a shout-out during last night's Bruins game (they were playing the Ducks, and Chris Wagner was in the lineup).
            Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
              When I was a student, we still had classes the Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving week. Professors would schedule exams or have assignments due on either of those two days so the classes wouldn't get "skipped". The students getting a week off for Thanksgiving is a good thing though, since it allows them to rest up before final exams. But since the university started giving students a week off, it seems like two of our home league games are still scheduled for the weekend before Thanksgiving. In fact, this season, *FIVE* of our 11 league home games are at the beginning, middle, or end of a break from classes - including our home tilt vs. Cornell! I know the ECAC creates a block schedule, and Colgate/Cornell then pick open dates to schedule their games against each other, but 'Gate should request being on the road the weekend before Thanksgiving, and in early January. The league already accommodates open weekends for Union and Princeton with their odd exam schedules.
              The only reason the league accommodates that is because it's NCAA mandated that you do not have official athletic events going on during finals.

I'm sure every member could have some sort of beef about the scheduling, and unfortunately it's difficult to please everyone. I'm sure all of us have complained, at one point or another, about moving games to accommodate the Beanpot (maybe not so much you guys because of the huge rivalry between Harvard and Cornell), and I don't much like the games during Christmas break either, for the same reasons. I wish they would have at least some form of a regular rotation for these reasons.

Comment

Two weekends ago, I went to Clarkson (Friday) and Saint Lawrence (Saturday) for their home games against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI).
                Clarkson, with their sophomore goalie Jake Kielly, is the real deal this year (not unlike New Hampshire with senior goalie Danny Tirone).
                Saint Lawrence, on the other hand, is going to have a long season ahead, as is RPI. SLU freshman forward Keenan Suthers at 6'8" is one (read that 'fun') to watch.

As for attendance, apparently Colgate has gone from a final-year average at JHS Rink of 1,599 to a first-year average of 1,814 at C65 Arena.
                This year the Raiders are averaging 1,559 through seven contests.

Comment

Huge game tonight, biggest for us in two years(at least) and probably for Clarkson in years. It will play large in the standings as we are both undefeated in league play and hopefully Clarkson beats Cornell tomorrow night. Hard to think we "could" be undefeated in league play over the holiday break, the PWR ramifications with Clarkson at #5 would bump us considerably. Family commitments have me elsewhere tonight. I will be looking for reports tomorrow on the game, hopefully happy.
                  It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

This is probably the first *meaningful* Colgate vs. Clarkson game since 2008, back when Mark Dekanich and David Leggio were the goaltenders for the Raiders and Golden Knights.

Let's go 'Gate!
                    Colgate '09

Comment

Played well through the first two but I think the youth got to us in the third. It felt like the guys were deer caught in headlights after the first 3rd period power play goal.

I couldn’t believe the bone headed penalty on the faceoff, it was the most blatant face off infraction in the history of the game from a captain in that spot is just....don’t have words for it.

But we are a young team and were bound to have an off game, rather be against Clarkson than cornell

Comment

Agreed that we were competitive for the first 40 minutes. At that point, it was still 20-20 SOG. I thought Colton Point was good, but not great. The better team won tonight, as their passes continue to be crisp and clean (much more so than ours). I sincerely hope we do not play down to Saint Lawrence’s level tomorrow night. They are struggling, so we just need to play smart and get the win at home.

Comment

• Originally posted by red133883 View Post
                          Played well through the first two but I think the youth got to us in the third.
                          Clarkson’s talent got to us in the third. I’m looking at their roster and they have a lot of freshmen and sophomores too. Of the 5 goals they scored, 2 were from a freshman and 2 were from a sophomore.
                          Last edited by Magoo; 11-17-2017, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                            Agreed that we were competitive for the first 40 minutes. At that point, it was still 20-20 SOG. I thought Colton Point was good, but not great. The better team won tonight, as their passes continue to be crisp and clean (much more so than ours). I sincerely hope we do not play down to Saint Lawrence’s level tomorrow night. They are struggling, so we just need to play smart and get the win at home.
                            SLU is really beat up -- they're skating a guy from their club team. But they tried hard last night. They double shifted their top two lines which means those guys are either training for Ironman or they'll be gassed tonight. Brey, their goalie, gave up a couple softies but on the kill we peppered him and he was excellent. They have a lot of heart but they don't have the horses. To top it off something just shy of 50% of their TOI are coming from freshmen.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Last night:

We lost at home to Clarkson for the first time since February 2007. Even worse, Clarkson had only 3 power play opportunities but scored on 2 of them, and on the one opportunity that they didn't get a PPG, they still scored 10 seconds after the penalty expired. Hope this was just an off-night for us.

Let's get a win tonight in our last home game of 2017.
                              Colgate '09

Comment

• Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                                Last night:

We lost at home to Clarkson for the first time since February 2007. Even worse, Clarkson had only 3 power play opportunities but scored on 2 of them, and on the one opportunity that they didn't get a PPG, they still scored 10 seconds after the penalty expired. Hope this was just an off-night for us.

Let's get a win tonight in our last home game of 2017.
                                Clarkson is an excellent team that's getting production from all four lines and great goaltending. Tip the cap and regroup vs Cornell tonight.
                                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                                X