Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344 LastLast
Results 841 to 860 of 879

Thread: Colgate 2017-18

  1. #841
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    634

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    I don't generally disagree with Marmot...we're both, shall we say, "skeptical" about the fortunes of the program...but I do think we can scratch out 15 wins this year (a pretty talented group of D-men will help) assuming our goaltending is decent...15-21-3 sounds reasonable, with another KRACH positioning in the high 30s...

  2. #842
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    206

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    This sounds like a fun game.
    Pick ‘Gate’s record, post-Point.
    EX: 1-0
    NC: 6-6
    EC: 7-15
    Submitted by: Tom S.

  3. #843
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    242

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    So, yesterday I said we will be “hard pressed to reach 10 wins.”

    Upon reading Green Coat’s latest post, perhaps I was being unduly pessimistic.

    After all, I do very much agree with Green Coat in that I like our defensemen (both being solid defensively and contributing on offense). That said, I am concerned about our ability to score. And I am deeply concerned about our goaltending situation. I mean, it is a complete wildcard; we have precisely 0 minutes of collegiate experience from our goaltending group. Hopefully, one of them will stand out and earn the #1 job. But even in the absolute best case scenario, even a solid #1 will be a tremendous downgrade from what Point gave us last year; he had arguably (unassailably?) the best goaltending season in school history. Point himself in 2018/19 was unlikely to be the Point of 2017/18. Which is a very long winded way of saying our goalies are a HUGE question mark

    With that looming uncertainty, I revise my statement as follows:

    I would not be shocked if we don’t reach double figure wins.

    A distinction with a difference.
    Last edited by Marmot; 08-09-2018 at 06:42 PM.

  4. #844
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    242

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    And as I said before, I completely support Point turning pro. Although I would have loved him to stay, I think it was unequivocally the best decision for him. He is in a professional system with a player at his position the same age and drafted four rounds earlier in the same draft. By joining the Stars this year and maintaining the momentum he gained at ‘Gate last season, he has a unique opportunity to entrench himself as their #1 goaltending prospect moving forward. I can’t fault that.
    Last edited by Marmot; 08-09-2018 at 06:41 PM.

  5. #845
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    322

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Interesting that Kyle Baun is now playing with Darcy Murphy and Spiro Goulakos in Ireland and the Belfast Giants. Go 'Gate!

  6. #846
    Here every day
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    rome,n.y.13440 usa
    Posts
    6,399

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    For anyone in the know, I have an alumnis friend who wants to make a sizeable donation to the rink to bring back "The Raider Lounge" for between period libation in the rink at the games. It used to be fun to meet and greet before the games and between periods. Not everyone can afford the current $500 plus season ticket charge to sit in the end zone, which to me are the worst seats in the rink anyways. Anyone who can help with this or knows who the people we should talk to please let me know. Would be nice to be able to get a beer in the rink like we used to in the bowling alley.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

  7. #847
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    628

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by sshablak View Post
    For anyone in the know, I have an alumnis friend who wants to make a sizeable donation to the rink to bring back "The Raider Lounge" for between period libation in the rink at the games. It used to be fun to meet and greet before the games and between periods. Not everyone can afford the current $500 plus season ticket charge to sit in the end zone, which to me are the worst seats in the rink anyways. Anyone who can help with this or knows who the people we should talk to please let me know. Would be nice to be able to get a beer in the rink like we used to in the bowling alley.
    I would contact either Brian Grady or Kate Saeger in Advancement. Their contact info is on the athletics web site.

  8. #848
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,167

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

  9. #849
    Here every day
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    rome,n.y.13440 usa
    Posts
    6,399

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    I just read that Colgate's new president is a total supporter of the athletic program, even has some very lofty goals even though they're probably unrealistic. This is very good news, we definitely need something positive on this thread.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

  10. #850
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    46,389

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by sshablak View Post
    I just read that Colgate's new president is a total supporter of the athletic program, even has some very lofty goals even though they're probably unrealistic. This is very good news, we definitely need something positive on this thread.
    Certainly a step in the right direction towards what I was talking about previously. Perhaps you'll see some investments within the next couple of years to go with it.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  11. #851
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    634

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    related to the comment: "Perhaps we'll see some investments within the next couple of years..." Folks...we've already made it...$38M to be exact...and it's a great facility, both externally and internally...but if we don't get tangibly better too many seats will be empty and the place will be silent...sad, but true...

  12. #852
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    46,389

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
    related to the comment: "Perhaps we'll see some investments within the next couple of years..." Folks...we've already made it...$38M to be exact...and it's a great facility, both externally and internally...but if we don't get tangibly better too many seats will be empty and the place will be silent...sad, but true...
    There's more than physical investments. How are you going to get John Q Public to become aware that a night at the arena is going to be a good time for the family?
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  13. #853
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Perhaps the school needs to invest in a new coaching staff. Word is that the players aren't fond of Mike Harder. Let's see an AD do what others seem scared to do.

  14. #854
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    242

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    So, we lost three forwards and three goalies . . . and brought in two forwards and two goalies.

    Wonderful.

    All the signs are ominous.

  15. #855
    Here every day
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    rome,n.y.13440 usa
    Posts
    6,399

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    I see Hoey went AWOL
    It all starts with the goaltending.

  16. #856
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    628

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by sshablak View Post
    I see Hoey went AWOL
    The young man you mention will be playing in Prince George of the BCHL this season for Alex Evin. This is a trend across the board with NE prep players going to juniors for at least a year to gain seasoning against increased competition. This worked out for Trevor Cosgrove who went from Exeter to Alberni Valley. Nothing to worry about IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
    So, we lost three forwards and three goalies . . . and brought in two forwards and two goalies.
    Colton Point turning pro in the middle of the summer was a surprise and obviously the plan was to have Benson and Farrier back him up. It's hard to find a goalie in the middle of the summer, with the grades as well, when you already have two guys locked up. Plus having three freshmen goalies on the roster would not be ideal.

    A third forward was part of the class but that ended up not working out due to eligibility issues.

  17. #857
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    634

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    I get it...and Hoey going to the BCHL makes sense...but I am not worrying about the overall size of our roster this year...injuries come and go and, with the exception of the 2015-16 season, we've been relatively fortunate in this regard...BTW, I hope the Harder comment (above) is not true...I do not know Mike personally, but two close friends of mine think he's a quality guy...fingers crossed...this has been a somewhat challenging off season, to say the least, and many schools can handle it (Denver, BU, etc.)...most Ivy and Ivy-type schools do have a harder team, with Academic Indexes, etc.

  18. #858
    Here every day
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    rome,n.y.13440 usa
    Posts
    6,399

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by Gate Raider View Post
    Perhaps the school needs to invest in a new coaching staff. Word is that the players aren't fond of Mike Harder. Let's see an AD do what others seem scared to do.
    Sounds to me like maybe your son doesn't like him ? Over the years many times a comment like this is from a parent of a player.(that's not playing)
    It all starts with the goaltending.

  19. #859
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by sshablak View Post
    Sounds to me like maybe your son doesn't like him ? Over the years many times a comment like this is from a parent of a player.(that's not playing)
    Wrong there Shabby. I am just relaying what I have heard from people close to the program. Of course you don't have to listen to me. The proof is on the ice. Let's see what the new rink brings this season hmmm.

  20. #860
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    634

    Re: Colgate 2017-18

    Bottom Line: we enter the season with a roster of 25...too bad as it sounds like MIH was pretty confident Point would stay for his junior year...wonder if it's possible to add another body for second semester? My guess is that writers and coaches will pick us somewhere around 9th this year...one hope: we generally outperform when picked this low...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •