2017-2018 D1 Women's Hockey Scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
    Looking at Syracuse's history it strikes me that they are only at .483 in their 10th season and off to a 1-7-1 start this season, and they play in the weakest D1 conference. Aren't they paying the coach a boat-load of money and shouldn't they be a lot more successful by now? Is it time for them to think about the possibility of a new coach sometime soon? I know they had some internal problems a few years ago with both assistant coaches getting too close to players and they are in maybe not the most attractive or popular city in the world, so is recruiting top talent to the program the biggest problem?
    Syracuse just played BC as well as anyone in the nation has to date, with the exception of whoever it was that tied them, and this is your takeaway?

I’m surprised at Syracuse’s start to their season. However, how many teams in the nation playing the schedule Syracuse has so far, would have a different record?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
      Syracuse just played BC as well as anyone in the nation has to date, with the exception of whoever it was that tied them, and this is your takeaway?

I’m surprised at Syracuse’s start to their season. However, how many teams in the nation playing the schedule Syracuse has so far, would have a different record?
      Look at the body of results over the full history. Looking at one game here and there isn't an educated analysis of the situation. This is his 10th season! I don't think it's unfair to have expected much more successful progress by now.

Comment

• Re: 2017-2018 D1 Women's Hockey Scores

No score Wisconsin-Ohio State-beginning of second period

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
          Look at the body of results over the full history. Looking at one game here and there isn't an educated analysis of the situation. This is his 10th season! I don't think it's unfair to have expected much more successful progress by now.
          I'd dare any coach to go to Syracuse and try to recruit with the rinky dink facilities they have there. I have been there to watch Clarkson. It is embarassing when you compare the Tennity Ice Pavilion to any other Div I facility.
          As for Paul Flanagan, he was the head coach at SLU prior to taking the Syracuse job. His record in 20 seasons, never had a losing season, 18 years of 20 or more wins, one year with 31 wins, SEVEN NC$$ Tournament appearances, FIVE Frozen Fours and one National Runnerup. No one can the get top recruits you need to win there until the facilities are significantly upgraded.
          Last edited by vicb; 11-05-2017, 03:20 PM.
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Wisconsin completes the sweep:
            Badgers 3, Buckeyes 1
            Shots 50-22
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post
              I'd dare any coach to go to Syracuse and try to recruit with the rinky dink facilities they have there. I have been there to watch Clarkson. It is embarassing when you compare the Tennity Ice Rink to any other Div I rink.
              As for Paul Flanagan, he was the head coach at SLU prior to taking the Syracuse job. His record in 20 seasons, never had a losing season, 18 years of 20 or more wins, one year with 31 wins, SEVEN NC$$ Tournament appearances, FIVE Frozen Fours and one National Runnerup. No one can the get top recruits you need to win until the facilities are significantly upgraded.
              I know all about Paul and his success at SLU. That's what Syracuse hired him (giving him top dollar) to do at Syracuse too but he hasn't cone close to matching his previous success and now he's in his 10th year. That's a long time to wait for some success in the worst D1 conference in the country. So you're saying it's completely because of the substandard rink. Ok.

Comment

I know all about Paul and his success at SLU. That's what Syracuse hired him (giving him top dollar) to do at Syracuse too but he hasn't cone close to matching his previous success and now he's in his 10th year. That's a long time to wait for some success in the worst D1 conference in the country. So you're saying it's completely because of the substandard rink. Ok.
                I guess that was a sarcastic OK . Well yes that is what I am saying.
                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I guess that was a sarcastic OK . Well yes that is what I am saying.
                  You guessed correctly sir. Most females choose their college hockey opportunity because of the school, their potential major, any out of pocket cost, the hockey coach/coaching staff, and the feeling they get from the current players when they visit campus. The rink/facilities are typically their last priority in their decision-making process. Also as long as their locker-room is nice enough then that's their top concern in terms of the rink. You don't have to have marble floors in the lobby to have a successful women's hockey program. Nice try though.
                  Last edited by shelfit; 11-05-2017, 04:20 PM.

Comment

You guessed correctly sir. Most females choose their college hockey opportunity because of the school, their potential major, any out of pocket cost, the hockey coach/coaching staff, and the feeling they get from the current players when they visit campus. The rink/facilities are typically their last priority in their decision-making process. Also as long as their locker-room is nice enough then that's their top concern in terms of the rink. You don't have to have marble floors in the lobby to have a successful women's hockey program. Nice try though.
                    So we agree to disagree. I'm movin on.
                    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Comment

I believe he is just riding it out until retirement. Many of his recruit's recently are not strong and coming from the same few teams. Seem's lazy.

Comment

So we agree to disagree. I'm movin on.
                        Agreed!

I'm right and you're wrong.

If Syracuse had a men's team you know they would put them in a nice and possibly new facility with all the bells and whistles, which would actually benefit the women's program at the same time, assuming both teams would share the new digs together. That would be awesome, but will they ever have a men's program?
                        Last edited by shelfit; 11-06-2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dd17 View Post
                          I believe he is just riding it out until retirement. Many of his recruit's recently are not strong and coming from the same few teams. Seem's lazy.
                          And there ya have it, vicb.....someone else is seeing the same thing I'm seeing. dd17, your post seems very plausible but what a shame if it's the truth.
                          Last edited by shelfit; 11-06-2017, 03:43 PM.

Comment

In a Monday night game, Bemidji State leads Minnesota-Duluth 3-2 after two.
                            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Bemidji State 3, Minnesota Duluth 2, final, in the US Hockey Hall of Fame Women's Classic. Game was played in Cambridge, MN, with proceeds going to a fund set up for Matt Olson, an area native who was paralyzed in a Junior Hockey game last year.

http://www.uscho.com/2017/10/11/bemi...ssic-on-nov-6/
                              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

That's a long time to wait for some success in the worst D1 conference in the country.
                                I think that is one of the hurdles to recruiting a roster that can compete nationally. "Hey come play in the CHA, where everyone says we're the worst league in the country!" Even Mercyhurst's recruiting is declining after the CHA got an auto bid, when one would have expected the opposite. For the kids who want to play in NY state, there are options. Clarkson -- recent success speaks for itself. Cornell has established itself as a contender in most years. Colgate has risen dramatically since Fargo started getting his own recruiting classes into the program. St. Lawrence hasn't had the recent success of some others, but it is kind of a throwback program that believes in making the four years a fun experience for the players. If I'm a kid who wants to go to school in NY and play hockey, I'm going to look at those ECAC schools before I'm going to consider the CHA too seriously. It's like trying to recruit to St. Cloud. You find yourself competing with Mankato and Bemidji for the players who are left after Minnesota, Wisconsin, and UMD have taken the ones that they want. It's a tough game if the players on the other bench are always better than yours.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X