Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2017: Playoffs, World Series, and Off-season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2017: Playoffs, World Series, and Off-season.

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Well, the rest of MLB is owed about a bajillion calls that have favored the Yankees over the years, so just take those off the long running tab.
    And not pidly things like strike zones. I'm talking balls that landed four farking feet foul that were called fair in favor of the Yankees. In two separate series.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      Well, the rest of MLB is owed about a bajillion calls that have favored the Yankees over the years, so just take those off the long running tab.
      100% this. There isn't a fan base in all of professional sports in this country that should complain less about calls than Yankees fans...and it isn't even close.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        100% this. There isn't a fan base in all of professional sports in this country that should complain less about calls than Yankees fans...and it isn't even close.
        Who knows, if the Yankees hadn't been gifted a Jeter home run via the Jeffrey Maier play, maybe their most recent dynasty never would have happened.

Comment

Sigh. The Yankees, like the Cardinals, are insufferable. In truth, the latter's humble brag is probably worse than the former's casual assumption of superiority. But what really drives the nail in is that both teams always seem to get it done.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            The consolation is we're headed to an all National League World Series.
            Maybe not so much...
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
              Who knows, if the Yankees hadn't been gifted a Jeter home run via the Jeffrey Maier play, maybe their most recent dynasty never would have happened.
              As a Yankees fan, I say tough sh$t. LOL (Though, that was a pretty bad call. And my wife is an Orioles fan, so how our marriage survived that...)

But in all seriousness, I have often wondered about events like that and whether they trigger much larger events.

My prime example is the tuck rule call for the Patriots (the greatest BS call in the history of sports) which allowed them to beat Oakland and go on to win the Super Bowl. If that doesn't happen, do the Pats get their dynasty? Would losing to Oakland have caused the brass to make different personnel moves in the offseason that would not have allowed them to maintain their domination?

These type of things are always fun exercises.
              Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 10-19-2017, 07:26 AM.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                In my mind, there is a difference between what you are complaining about and a fair strike zone.

Judge would have the same problem no matter who he played for. And I would defend him even he played for the hated Red Sox. Just because you are taller doesn't mean you get a different strike zone. And that has been evident his entire year.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Sigh. The Yankees, like the Cardinals, are insufferable. In truth, the latter's humble brag is probably worse than the former's casual assumption of superiority. But what really drives the nail in is that both teams always seem to get it done.
                  I find Cardinals fans way more annoying. Or maybe it's just the media's representation of them. "They clap for opposing players"... um, yeah, not that often. Good fans and bad fans, like every other team on the planet. They're just more spoiled and lack perspective because their team doesn't usually lose.

And I find Yankee fans that did not live through the lean years (or weren't fans then) 5000 times more insufferable than fans my age.

As far as the teams themselves.. I don't find the current Yankees very hate-able, as individuals. The Cardinals...... they're more hate-able (maybe because they're in the Brewers division). Tony LaRussa contributed a HUGE amount to my dislike of the Cardinals, and the older players left still feed that lingering dislike.
                  Last edited by jen; 10-19-2017, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    In my mind, there is a difference between what you are complaining about and a fair strike zone.

Judge would have the same problem no matter who he played for. And I would defend him even he played for the hated Red Sox. Just because you are taller doesn't mean you get a different strike zone. And that has been evident his entire year.
                    Wrong. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...s_interest.jsp
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                      And I find Yankee fans that did not live through the lean years (or weren't fans then) 5000 times more insufferable than fans my age.
                      I became a Yankees fan during the years of Horace Clark, Gene Michael, Roy White, a cleanup hitter who choked up on the bat, when Steve Kekich and Floyd Patterson traded wives (seriously, for those who don't know about this, look it up) for the biggest headlines of those years, Ron Herbst (I think I got it right), and trading the rookie of the year, Stan Bahnson, for Rich McKinney who wound up playing a month before being sent to the minors.

Besides, I'm also a Jets fan. I have a right to be an arrogant Yankees fan.
                      Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 10-19-2017, 07:38 AM.
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

I don't know what part is proving me wrong. Judge has at times consistently had strikes called that were clearly below the hollow of his knee.

That's what I'm complaining about. Not that he obviously has a larger legal strike zone because he is a larger person. I have no issue with that.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Cubs manage to win today and ya never know. Bats are still ice cold though except for the occasional solo home run.
                          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            I became a Yankees fan during the years of Horace Clark, Gene Michael, Roy White, a cleanup hitter who choked up on the bat, when Steve Kekich and Floyd Patterson traded wives (seriously, for those who don't know about this, look it up)
                            Don't forget Celerino Sanchez, my favorite Yankee.

I thought the Yankee pitcher who traded wives was named Mike Kekich.

I was a toss up between the Yankees and Mets in 1971 -- in fact, my older brother was a big Yankee fan. But here's the thing -- where I lived, at least, Yankee fans were still stuck up and entitled even after 7 years of s-cking. They were insufferable. I became a Mets fan in large part because Yankees fans were a-holes, even at their very nadir.

So I aint buying it.

OTOH, I have no hatred for the Yankees at all. The only team I've actually managed to develop a pure, honest hatred for in 40 years is the Barves. I don't even hate Harvard. I am missing a gene.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I thought the Yankee pitcher who traded wives was named Mike Kekich.
                              It was. It was also Fritz Peterson, not Floyd Patterson. I think Floyd was a boxer.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                It was. It was also Fritz Peterson, not Floyd Patterson. I think Floyd was a boxer.
                                LOL. Yes, that's all correct.

I was getting Kekich mixed up with the pitcher Steve Kline.

And to Kepler's point, yes us Yankees fans were always arrogant. Even when they sucked (and when I became a fan) we still had all that history to rub into other fans. So, I get your point. But, I still became a Yankees fan (mainly because of my mother's side of the family; my father was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, but when they left town, baseball ceased to exist in his mind, so he didn't care what we did) when they sucked, and stuck with them even when the Mets were the ones doing the winning. Remember, I was responding to Jen's original comment.

And wasn't Celerino Sanchez the one who replaced McKinney at third?
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X