Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2017: Playoffs, World Series, and Off-season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2017: Playoffs, World Series, and Off-season.

Fun night last night. Dozier HR to kick things off landed 5 rows in front of me. Friend sent a screenshot of the video, was able to pick myself out.

Going into it, there were some pundits stating the case for the Yankees to just use bullpen arms for the game, given their depth of elite relievers. Funny that it more or less ended up happening, and truly a pretty incredible showing from all the guys.

Not sure that the stadium got as loud as it did for Jeter's final walkoff, not sure it ever will, but it was buzzing last night. Beautiful night for a game too.

Comment

For those that are counting, that makes 13 straight playoff losses for the Twins. 10 of them to the Yankees.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
        For those that are counting, that makes 13 straight playoff losses for the Twins. 10 of them to the Yankees.
        Ties the record set by the Red Sox.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          My kind of town.
          That's Chicago, not New York.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            That's Chicago, not New York.
            He's a Cubs fan.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              He's a Cubs fan.
              We arent sure why now that they've won. Its not as cool anymore
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                That's hard to do but then again it is a Minnesota team.
                Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

A World Series between Houston and Washington would give us a first-time winner for sure.

It seems a little weird to me in general across all the professional sports how a franchise's history moves around with the team as it moves from city to city, especially when a new team then opens up in the old team's home town, or vice versa. So while the Washington Senators are no more, the Washington Nationals carry the Montreal Expos' history with them? The Atlanta Braves carry the Milwaukee Braves history?

I wonder if there is an exception for the Browns in football? Baltimore Colts --> Indianapolis Colts, okay; but old Cleveland Browns --> Baltimore Ravens? or not?
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    I wonder if there is an exception for the Browns in football? Baltimore Colts --> Indianapolis Colts, okay; but old Cleveland Browns --> Baltimore Ravens? or not?
                    There is an exception for the Browns -- TNG gets the old history. The move was contingent on Cleveland receiving a new team and keeping its history. There was quite big folderol (sp?) about it at the time, and the deal forestalled a lawsuit.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 10-04-2017, 12:45 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      He's a Cubs fan.
                      And a Twins fan (Twins are my #1). These teams are carryover when you could have one team from each league before the interleague play crap started.

F NYY, btw.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

blech to the Diamondbacks. Two teams I was rooting for already eliminated.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
                          blech to the Diamondbacks. Two teams I was rooting for already eliminated.
                          Sure Greinke is annoying, but what else do you dislike about the DBacks?
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                            Sure Greinke is annoying, but what else do you dislike about the DBacks?
                            Greinke is the one guy I LIKE. It's mostly their fans and Bob Brenly that annoy me, plus I don't actively like any of them besides Greinke, and I do like a bunch of the Rockies.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              A World Series between Houston and Washington would give us a first-time winner for sure.

It seems a little weird to me in general across all the professional sports how a franchise's history moves around with the team as it moves from city to city, especially when a new team then opens up in the old team's home town, or vice versa. So while the Washington Senators are no more, the Washington Nationals carry the Montreal Expos' history with them? The Atlanta Braves carry the Milwaukee Braves history?

The NBA has a couple interesting cases. When the Hornets changed to the Pelicans and the Bobcats went to the Hornets, the Pelicans returned all pre-New Orleans history to Charlotte, effectively making them a 2003 expansion team.

And I believe the Thunder and future Seattle team (whenever that happens) will share pre-Thunder Sonics history.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

The Winnipeg Jets have a conflicting history also. They're the Thrashers, and Thrashers are franchise record holders, yet they embrace the Original Jets history, and share it with Phoenix (who for the longest time, held onto their WPG history with a death grip).
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X