Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2017-18 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2017-18 Season

Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Scouting the Enemy: Dartmouth Big Green

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...big-green.html
      QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
      2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
      2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
      2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
      https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
      https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
      https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

It's Game Day and in the heart of ECAC play...this is where the jockeying starts for the teams. BG host Q tonight as both teams have been playing better of late. Q does not have the fire-power of years past this figures to be a low scoring game...it could not get any lower the last time they played earlier in the season to a 0-0 draw. The team that wins the special unit battle has a great chance of winning the game. Let's go BIG Green and put up at least one PP goal and be a positive of the special team differential.

Comment

Quinnipiac falls to Dartmouth in final 10 seconds

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...-in-final.html
          QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
          2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
          2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
          2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
          https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
          https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
          https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

BG has finally ridded themselves of one of their demons as they beat Q 4-3 in the last 10 seconds of the game...what else, when all else fails throw the puck at the net as Graber did and it hits of a Q's defender's skate and in. Call it puck luck, Hockey God's, etc but good things are sure happening with the BG in the last month as they are for sure playing their best hockey. However, it did not start out that way. BG was dictating play (if you would call it that) for most of the first and Q comes down after relentless pressure down on their end and scores. I believe after the center FO BG gains possession in the O zone and from behind the Kalk banks a shot off the goalie to tie. They same shot probably would not have gone in earlier in the season. Then the teams traded goals as BG's scores on the PP with good puck movement through the seams culminating with Rutherford scoring on the weakside off an errant shot rebound. In the third, Q dominated play for and had they BG reeling only to be stymied by the team D of blocking shots and timely saves by Buffalo. Then came the heroics by Graber as time was running down and out, he puts a harmless put to the net from the left halfboards to have in carom off a Q's defender's skate for the winning goal.

Now the positives: bounced back on the very next shift after giving the first goal, good puck movement on their PP goal, the "tree" line of Graber/Forman/Sellar is currently the best line, Kalk looked dangerous, Shoup, Yau, and Less continues their steady backline performance, the team PK with block shots, and most importantly BG is finding out "how to win" and get that confidence and swagger that they much lacked earlier on.

Improvements: D zone coverage especially in goalmouth giving up goals, Buffalo has to somehow freeze those same pucks, and 5 on 3 then on 4 PP was terrible especially coming from intermission and on fresh ice.

Let's carry the big MO into tonight as this should be bulletin board material...how Princeton absolutely pasted the BG 9-2 the last time they played. Ironically, that low point provided ammunition for the BG as they continue to get better when it counts. Go BIG GREEN!

Comment

Talk about a big stinker last night losing 6-3 to Princeton in front of a huge tennis balls-armed crowd. Frankly, the game was not even that close as I believe P has BG's number this year as reflected in the two game combined score of 15-5. P is simply better than the BG with more speed and skill, with possibly better goaltending. BG's forecheck was non-existent last night as P broke-out cleanly and consistently leading to their speed and skill through the neutral zone and into the O zone. Bluntly, P was able to do whatever they wanted as they dictated play, showcased by the play of Veronneau and Teves. Even on BG's much improved PK, P made them look silly with a couple of inexplicable behind the the play, backdoor tip in's which must of surprised the BG's D. The goal that Robinson had flashing his outside speed should not have happened as Less got beat to the outside but Buffalo certainly did not help himself by letting him come across the crease with his backhander; Buffalo could have poked check the puck or if he slides over and stays square, the puck is hitting him right on the big D crest. Yes, it was that kind of night.

On the positives: the Tree line of Graber/Forman/Sellar continues to give their opponents fits as Graber gains the zone and the others keep possession down low with cycling. Shoup continues his resurgent play and Han had a good night.

This could have been a 4 point weekend (in league 8 pt weekend) only to come out with a split. Now onto to the North Country next week!

Comment

I am stating this here as the Princeton thread has been mostly inactive, quite unfortunate for such a good and fun to team to watch. As I stated earlier, they absolutely obliterated the BG in both games. In my limited viewing, Veronneau and Teves are two of the best players in the league in my opinion...most of the PR is about Donato and Fox who in their own right are very good.

Comment

It's Games Weekend as the BIG Green travel to the North Country to take on St L and Clarkson. This has been historically a tough trip for the BG but with such a young roster...maybe they don"t know otherwise so the upperclassmen must show them the way. BG has been playing well as of late save Princeton which man-handled them. Let's get some secondary scoring to compliment the "Tree" line and tighten up coverage in the D zone (huge effort from Buffalo) and of course win the special team differential! Go BIG Green!

Comment

A W is a W no matter what as they cannot take it off the board! Now why do I say that, it was a very ugly win as BG tried everything in their power to give it away. The flow of the game was non-existent, usually that happens with penalties, injuries, etc but not in this case just a lot of dead-puck hockey both ways. BG scores early and mid way through the first to take a commanding 2-0 lead with the game not over but in control. BG loses a face off cleanly and a slapper from the right point with no traffic in front beats Buffalo, yes bad goal but now this gave a what was a dead ST L team a little mojo which carried into the second period. Now on BG PP where there were getting good puck movement previously, Kalk decides to force the issue from the right point. Now ST L comes in on a SH 2 on 1 only to broken up by Yau who in turn counters to Baker who passes to Jasiek who patiently pots it in. So a potential 2-2 tie turns into a 3-1 lead which turnout to be the game-winner. Finally at the end of a PP Jasiek inexplicabily tries to neutral zone regroup (PP just ended and BG needed a change so just get it deep to allow for) and turns it over. St L gets possession and a wrap around beats Buffalo...this should not have happened as Buffalo saw it the whole way with very little traffic to contend going post to post. The puck banks off him for a 3-2 lead. And BG holds on to win. Sidenote...Shoup DNP probably due to injury because he has been a beast lately.

Positives: jumped on ST L early to take crowd out and gain confidence, special unit a plus one for G-W goal with good movement, TREE line with Graber and Sellar good, Forman was slightly off; Kilistoff/Warpecha/Michalowski line same usual self; Yau/Less logged many and major minutes especially against their top line when possible

Improvement: lack of juggler instinct, probably should been a at best 3-1 game, juicy turnovers when protecting lead,

Hopefully Clarkson expended too much effort and energy in their comeback tie against Harvard...can you say "trap" game? Go BIG Green and capitalize!

Comment

BEWARE if you are the #2 team in the country as the BIG Green takes down Clarkson 3-2 last night just like they beat DU a month ago which incidentally started their streak of playing well. The game was played well on both sides with the play fairly even. BG never trailed in this game and again just like the night before protecting and holding on to their lead. The line of Kilistoff/Warpecha/Michalowski got them on board with what else a scrum in front of the net with Kilistoff tapping the puck in. Then Clarkson responds in similar fashion with constant pressure as the 5 BG skaters could not get off the ice for a change. Baker then scores on a tap in with blown coverage just as the BG PP just ended. Ironically, ten seconds before Baker missed a wide open empty net. And with just less then 2 minutes left in the second Clark let's in a "bad" goal on a harmless throw at the net backhand form the lower circle. I have the be honest here, I had notions/bad vibes of this play being the kiss of death. Two months I do not believe BG could bounce back as they were fragile but now with confidence and swag they were able to overcome it! But BG luckily proves me wrong as they come out in the third and scores on a PP as Yau running the first unit plays catch with Rutherford on the half board until Yau puts a one-timer, low and tippable, as Baker create a screen tips it in for the GW goal. BG then holds on desperately for the big W! Sidenotes...Clark starts in place of Buffalo in goal and Shoup must still be injured/sick as he was not in the lineup.

Positives: now they can definitely play and hang with the big boys, specialty unit plus one and GW goal, Baker continues to put up goals, Yau/Less continues to log major minutes and defend well the top lines,

Improvements: location of turnovers...Forman middle of ice at blue line led to a semi-breakaway saved by Clark, Demler diagonal stretch pass intercepted cleanly leading to a quick counter and scoring opportunity (needs to be simplified), another "bad" goal after two the night before

Comment

Wish we could have done what you guys did last night. Our trip wasn't as successful. We should have had four points. But kudos to the Green for a great weekend. Proves that the ECAC is wide open this year.

Comment

Strange play/occurence! Mind you, I am NOT one to harp on the refs as I believed they called a good game but on this play it is more so because I have never seen this called before like this. Demler steps up for an open ice hit in the neutral zone and clips a Clarkson player who goes down clutching his knee. Nothing is called and play continues as the said player goes off the ice on his own. After the whistle about a minute later, the refs head to video to check out this play after the fact. At this point if they were to make a call it would have to be a 5 minute major. Please let me stress there was contact a possibly a penalty (no replays were shown). After video, the refs come back onto the ice and gives a 5 minute major to Demler which BG thankfully killed. I have never seen where the refs went back to video a penalty which was not called on the ice in plain view, open ice. Like I said earlier, there was contact and could have very well been a penalty! The said player starts on the PP after the review and hopefully he is fine. However, in another scenario I have seen and this happened to BG earlier in the year as Matthews get run from behind with no call and no review on the ice and the league reviews it after the game and gives the Q guy a one game suspension. HELP!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                            Strange play/occurence! Mind you, I am NOT one to harp on the refs as I believed they called a good game but on this play it is more so because I have never seen this called before like this. Demler steps up for an open ice hit in the neutral zone and clips a Clarkson player who goes down clutching his knee. Nothing is called and play continues as the said player goes off the ice on his own. After the whistle about a minute later, the refs head to video to check out this play after the fact. At this point if they were to make a call it would have to be a 5 minute major. Please let me stress there was contact a possibly a penalty (no replays were shown). After video, the refs come back onto the ice and gives a 5 minute major to Demler which BG thankfully killed. I have never seen where the refs went back to video a penalty which was not called on the ice in plain view, open ice. Like I said earlier, there was contact and could have very well been a penalty! The said player starts on the PP after the review and hopefully he is fine. However, in another scenario I have seen and this happened to BG earlier in the year as Matthews get run from behind with no call and no review on the ice and the league reviews it after the game and gives the Q guy a one game suspension. HELP!
                            Rule 93 explains video review and what's allowed to be reviewed, here's the link to the book: http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/IH18.pdf

If there was no penalty called at the time, and given we're in the regular season, then you are correct that it was inappropriate for the referee to go back, call a penalty, and reset the game clock. If there was a penalty called, and they needed to figure out its proper adjudication, then it's fine to use replay. Mind you, 93.7 gives a postseason exemption for what they did, but it's not March yet.

As for the league action, that happens all the time, where team staff will report an incident to the league after the game, they review it, and then they take additional action.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                              Wish we could have done what you guys did last night. Our trip wasn't as successful. We should have had four points. But kudos to the Green for a great weekend. Proves that the ECAC is wide open this year.
                              Thanks for the note! Yes it was a BIG 4 point weekend! You guys will be fine and probably the hottest team right now and down the stretch it probably will come down to you and Cornell like in the Frozen Four last year.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Rule 93 explains video review and what's allowed to be reviewed, here's the link to the book: http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/IH18.pdf

If there was no penalty called at the time, and given we're in the regular season, then you are correct that it was inappropriate for the referee to go back, call a penalty, and reset the game clock. If there was a penalty called, and they needed to figure out its proper adjudication, then it's fine to use replay. Mind you, 93.7 gives a postseason exemption for what they did, but it's not March yet.

As for the league action, that happens all the time, where team staff will report an incident to the league after the game, they review it, and then they take additional action.
                                Thanks Flag! Thanks for the clarification as when it happened I knew something just was not right about it. Like I said, I hope the Clarkson player is fine!

Comment

Working...
                                X