Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2017-18 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
    The post-Denver season really encourages me about the future of the team. Kalk is a loss, and he was especially good this past playoffs, but with losing just one forward, but getting Carl Hesler back, that should pay dividends. And that doesn't even factor in any incoming players (won't count any chickens until I see officially who is coming in.) Shoup and Rymsha will be losses, but I was really impressed with Less (all year) and Demler (2nd half of the year especially) in their own zone; if we add any solid blueliners at all the D should be good. I am a believer that Clark is even better in goal than Buffalo when he's on his game--his consistency is what needs to improve. Maybe if he knows he'll get consistent minutes and that the #1 job is his to lose, that will improve on its own.

I know there are naysayers, but I think this Dartmouth team is on an upward trajectory, and should be in the top 4 conversation next year.
    Welcome aboard GreenBear! It’s better late than never. I agree most of what you stated; the only thing was the Carl Hesler coming back. If that is true that will be a true blessing and will only help out our forwards and the team...hope he is recovered from his shoulder injury. Imagine this: 1st line , the Tree lone returns intact, 2nd line of Hesler/Jasiek/Rutherford(wing), 3rd line Grind line checking intact, and fill out the rest although Baker should be up there somewhere and this is without knowing which and how many forwards are coming in. Here you have a little of everything in all the lines. Yes losing Shoup and Rymsha will hurt but many return. I agree with Less and Demler. Less has been steady all year although so so in the playoffs whereas as a Demler came on during the playoffs..he just need to know his defined role and maximize in it. Offensively play it simple and defensively keep being the big nasty. Don’t forget about Matthews, prior to his injury he was ahead of Less and Demler. He can be a very good offensive defensive man. Imagine this: Yau with big and mean R-H Defensive DMan stay at home, Less/Matthews, and Han/Demler again this is without knowing who and what are coming in.
    I agree on Clark that he has the potential to be better than Buffalo
    Stay on board GreenBear!

Comment

• Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2017-18 Season

WHATTTT? Not a single BIG Green players on all four All-ECAC teams (1-3 and rookie)! I call that no respect and the only way to do that is to keep on winning and win over those nay-sayers. For a team that finishes 5th in the league and not a single player on any of the 4 teams, WOW! Well, the only positive conclusion is that BG truly played a team game with no one stand out.

Thoughts GreenBear?

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
        Well, the only positive conclusion is that BG truly played a team game with no one stand out.

Thoughts GreenBear?
        I think you nailed it. I look at the list of players who did make it, and thought "Who would I remove to make way for Will Graber, or Devin Buffalo, or Matt Baker / Quin Foreman on the rookie team." And nobody came to mind. Not that they're not good players, but individually, I don't think they can supplant the guys that were picked.

Now, if this was the "post New Years" team then maybe some of the Dartmouth guys have a stronger case (Shane Sellar, perhaps, who came to life post-Denver). But I didn't get hung up on the individual awards as like you said--that's really not how this team is built.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
          I think you nailed it. I look at the list of players who did make it, and thought "Who would I remove to make way for Will Graber, or Devin Buffalo, or Matt Baker / Quin Foreman on the rookie team." And nobody came to mind. Not that they're not good players, but individually, I don't think they can supplant the guys that were picked.

Now, if this was the "post New Years" team then maybe some of the Dartmouth guys have a stronger case (Shane Sellar, perhaps, who came to life post-Denver). But I didn't get hung up on the individual awards as like you said--that's really not how this team is built.
          After chewing on it some more, I have more to add. Most picks for these teams (especially professional sports) are mostly by looking at the individual's point column and/or WOW factor, maybe even reputation. Most coaches and media would not see the little details of a good player without the WOW factor unless they followed certain player every shift of game. Heck, scouts rarely get this right! However, it's ironic that they see and acknowledge these little details on players on their own team. It has been said countless times that if your name has not been mentioned many times you are quietly doing your job. Listen I get it, that's not how it is played out.

Graber would be the most deserving because he is the one who solely makes Sellar and Forman go. Buffalo was too inconsistent to me to warrant this kind of attention. Baker and Forman cooled off considerably. Less has been the most consistent all year although he struggled down the stretch. Demler and Rutherford played their best hockey down the stretch. Matthews would have considered had it not been for his injury.

Comment

Graber is definitely the team's catalyst and their most valuable player.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
              Graber is definitely the team's catalyst and their most valuable player.
              Agreed 100%! However that is in large part due their Tree line play below the dots. I just wish we can score on rushes, especially odd man and in transition ala counters...this way incorporating team play from D zone to O zone. BG has not had that many 2- 3 passes and score type of goals. It has always been a grind. Playoffs proved if you shut down the Tree line then scoring would be difficult. Too predicatable and scoring needs to be spread out as in players and open ice play.

Comment

Agreed 100%! However that is in large part due their Tree line play below the dots. I just wish we can score on rushes, especially odd man and in transition ala counters...this way incorporating team play from D zone to O zone. BG has not had that many 2- 3 passes and score type of goals. It has always been a grind. Playoffs proved if you shut down the Tree line then scoring would be difficult. Too predicatable and scoring needs to be spread out as in players and open ice play.
                You call them the Tree line? Coincidentally, the school's media went with Timber Line. Great minds think somewhat alike, I suppose.....

I'd like to see a line that can counter and score the way you describe. Hoping some of the incoming forwards can add that dimension because they truly need the scoring depth. Didn't have much success creating offense from the back end most of the time, and the one dominant line was great unless they came across a team who could neutralize them, as Harvard did, and then it got tough to win.

Comment

I was so impressed with the players that Peters and Whittet brought in back in the early to mid 2000's. I wanna say that there were at least 2 all American's in those years let alone other players drafted. I had high hopes for Lasonde taking over but he has yet to land a top recruit. He did so many times at UNH and at Denver. What is wrong here? Why are they not getting top players on a national level?

Comment

Originally posted by ChinaHockey View Post
                    I was so impressed with the players that Peters and Whittet brought in back in the early to mid 2000's. I wanna say that there were at least 2 all American's in those years let alone other players drafted. I had high hopes for Lasonde taking over but he has yet to land a top recruit. He did so many times at UNH and at Denver. What is wrong here? Why are they not getting top players on a national level?
                    You bring up an excellent point! I believe it starts with a winning culture and once you establish that little details then to fall in place. Now the 64K question is how you do that! As you are probably keenly aware, the Ivy league is not on the same playing field as other schools like UNH and DU as recruiting the student/athlete with the emphasis being on the first word, STUDENT. That said, that is far from an excuse as the Harvard's and Cornell's consistently are good because they have established themselves as a winning program. However, I do notice an uptick in USHL players coming to BG and good thing as I think they are in general better than the other junior leagues. As far as Lasonde, it is apple and oranges with regards to recruiting based on all the above and also he is no Gwoz or Montgomery. Now this leads to question is it the chicken or the egg? Coaches trying to get positive results on good players but not top talent as you say or those same players not developing into great players? The only true way we will find out if this staff gets top talent and that get us back into developing a WINNING CULTURE. Please chime is GreenBear!

Comment

I will be posting a new Big Green off season thread after the champion is crowned in the Frozen Four out of respect to the current teams still alive! Looks like DU is peaking at the right time after BG must have caught them in a mid-season lull...they are my pick to win and repeat!

Comment

Looks like the return of the EZAC

Comment

Originally posted by eddieshack23 View Post
                          Looks like the return of the EZAC
                          After one poor tournament year? Please.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
                            After one poor tournament year? Please.
                            Agreed! Coming into this season, most knew that the talent level was not of that in the past such as Harvard in the Frozen Four last year. Having said, that Cornell had the best chance and laid an egg.

The ECAC will be back next year and BG will be a part of that!

Comment

Agreed! Coming into this season, most knew that the talent level was not of that in the past such as Harvard in the Frozen Four last year. Having said, that Cornell had the best chance and laid an egg.

The ECAC will be back next year and BG will be a part of that!
                              Out of Conference record for the league was .435 not good.The Ivy's must allow a 34 game schedule or AHC is going to catch up in a few years

Comment

Originally posted by eddieshack23 View Post
                                Out of Conference record for the league was .435 not good.The Ivy's must allow a 34 game schedule or AHC is going to catch up in a few years
                                You are completely correct about the OOC record this season and the postseason performances of course. But again: at this point, we're looking at one bad year, and you were referring to the entire conference at first, not just the Ivies.

If we see the same thing next year, a trend may be starting. But to go "EZAC" a year after Harvard was a Frozen Four team, 2 years removed from Quinnipiac in the national title game and 4 years removed from Union winning it all (which came a year after Yale beat Quinnipiac in the national title game) is jumping the gun a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X