Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2017-18 Season

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
    A very nice win yesterday 3-2 over Clarkson to complete a season sweep but it definitely was way less simple than that as Clarkson was probably slightly the better last night. How is this for a Stat Fact.... the BG has never trailed Clarkson in both wins! Will post more later
    More about the Clarkson game. Sellar starts it off by intercepting a O zone blue line pass (dangerous) and goes in a breakaway the rest of the way and undresses the goalie for nifty backhand goal. Then I believe Clarkson ties it on a scrum in front of the net to pot a PP goal. To start the third, Yau gloves the puck down in the neutral zone and gains the zone to drop off to Jasiek who fires a purpose shot (low far side pad) which conveniently bounces out to Michalowski who buries the rebound to make it 2-1. Then not more later Strong fires a shot from just outside the blue line and it carooms off the end boards and somehow Kiely misplays into his own net (he gets pulled). Clarkson scores a little later and BG holds on for the win. The unfortunate thing is that Shoup got hurt in the first period and never returned. Hope he is better as his play has been dynamite of late leading to the BG's resurgence. Also Rempal was out for Clarkson which obviously hurt their O attack.

Comment

Saving the Best for Last... as BG and Rutherford rallies to comeback with a very important W. This was a "trap" game waiting to happen! Did I just say and use "trap" and BG in the same sentence? For all intensive purposes, BG should have lost this game as they play uneven and uninspired losing races, puck battles and you name it. Let's credit St. Lawrence as they played their spoiler role to a T leading for 3/4 of the game but then Rutherford's heroics came to. To lead the comeback, Rymsha fires a harmless wrister from the far point only to have Rutherford pounce on the rebound and wait out the goalie long enough to open up his blade and shoot the puck over his left pad. That's how much time Rutherford had as St L D were both not protecting the house and puck watching. Then with increased energy and momentum it culminates with Rutherford bagging another in a slight scrum infront of the net set up by a nice drop pass Michalowski to Jasiek who shoots low and reboundable. And then Forman pots and EN under major duress with St. L with an EA.

The Good: BG won without not nearly playing its best game (confidence and belief), Buffalo made the timely saves to preserve both the 1-0 deficit and 2-1 lead, Graber caused the St L D fits, and a tenacious Rutherford

The Bad: It hurts me to say this but the D was not good, losing puck battles, losing the puck too easily when pressured with possession, turnovers in the D zone when they had clear possession and and "out" (they put it upon themselves instead of making the simple play, ie D to D instead of trying to spin off a forecheck by themselves, getting beat to the inside especially on off wings leading to juice opposing forehand chances Shoup was not in the lineup as BG needs him

The Ugly: PP is stagnant, D zone and neutral zone puck management

So BG gets the 4 point weekend and as of now is sitting in the cat bird seat, controlling their destiny for HOME ice in playoffs. GO secure it and lock it in and maintain that MOJO heading to their first round match up.

Comment

I've heard Clarkson is decimated by sickness. A good win nonetheless though.
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

For all intensive purposes, BG should have lost this game as they play uneven and uninspired losing races, puck battles and you name it.
          For all intents and purposes is the usual form of the phrase meaning in every practical sense. For all intensive purposes is a fairly common eggcorn derived from the original phrase. It’s often heard in speech, but it’s rare in published writing because it generally doesn’t pass through the editorial process.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
            For all intents and purposes is the usual form of the phrase meaning in every practical sense. For all intensive purposes is a fairly common eggcorn derived from the original phrase. It’s often heard in speech, but it’s rare in published writing because it generally doesn’t pass through the editorial process.
            You are spot on! I think this is the first I have ever used it in a written form by to your point I do use it more in a verbal form and all along I was WRONG!

Comment

I would be very remiss without mentioning that it was SENIOR last night and that meant roasting the current seniors: Corey Kalk, Tim Shoup, River Rymsha, and Devin Buffalo and that they did with a big comeback W! Thanks for your four years but I believe there is a lot of hockey left!

Comment

A very nice win yesterday 3-2 over Clarkson to complete a season sweep but it definitely was way less simple than that as Clarkson was probably slightly the better last night. How is this for a Stat Fact.... the BG has never trailed Clarkson in both wins! Will post more later
                And while I am in the congratulatory mood...let's congratulate Coach Bob Gaudet on his 300th collegiate victory. That puts him in a different stratosphere. Way to go COACH and many more especially this season!

Comment

Jockeying for HOME ICE for the First Round of the Play-Offs (5-12)

Thanks to Lugnut92 for the statistical analysis!

Playoff Matchups:
                  Code:
                  | Da Cg Pr Ya Qu Br RP SL
                  ----------------------------------------------------
                  Da | 0.2 0.2 0.1 5.5 10.8 19.8 62.5
                  Cg | 0.0 2.4 1.5 6.8 21.7 43.2 19.6
                  Pr | 0.4 0.4 6.5 22.4 31.6 15.5 7.7
                  Ya | 0.4 0.9 3.9 23.1 24.6 16.2 9.9
                  Qu | 0.1 3.3 9.0 13.0 11.3 5.3 0.3
                  Hosts on the left, visitors across the top.

It appears the magic number for the 5th seed is 23 points. The BIG Green can clearly control their own destiny and with all due respect, appears on paper to have the easiest schedule; the other teams from 6-9 play a top 4 team. So if BG can garner at least two points they should be good and coupled with that, a win against Yale on Friday night assures that, assuming teams 6-9 split. Now the disclaimer, this is just a top level peek without doing the in depth what-if scenario on each game. Please chime in!

GO BIG GREEN! You can do it!

Comment

It's Game Day weekend in what is shaping to be the biggest weekend of the season thus far and sadly I am still the only BG fan that posts about it which I am happy to do. Yale comes in as one of the hottest team and they have almost always given the BG fits especially at Ingalls (at during the regular season) while Brown tries to salvage in what would be considered a disappointing season. I am only saying that because BG was picked to be near the bottom with Brown in the pre-season. Ok boys, one game, one period, one shift at a time and do what you have been doing the last two months... and that's playing with SWAGGER and CONFIDENCE. BG, you have got this one! As I said all along for BG teams, it's not how you start but rather how you finish so CLOSE it out!

Comment

EVENT
                      2018 ECAC Men's Hockey Championship

SEEDING RANGES
                      Byes all claimed. Cornell has clinched share of title, will be #1 unless they lose twice AND Union wins twice.

-------

Cornell 1-2 (clinches #1 with a win or tie OR a Union loss or tie)
                      Union 1-3
                      Clarkson 2-4
                      Harvard 3-4

Dartmouth 5-9 (clinches home ice with 1 point)
                      Colgate 5-9 (clinches home ice with 3 points)
                      Princeton 5-9 (clinches home ice with 4 points)
                      Yale 5-9 (clinches home ice with 4 points)

Quinnipiac 5-9
                      Brown 10-11
                      Rensselaer 10-12
                      St. Lawrence 11-12
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

BG, Gate fan here, partially because you're such a good fan with no others. Wish you luck tonight, Saw Yale last weekend and I was impressed with their speed. As far as Gate, not sure who I want to win in your game tonight(for selfish reasons). Should be a tremendous game tonight, maybe Yale looks forward to Harvard ?
                        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                          BG, Gate fan here, partially because you're such a good fan with no others. Wish you luck tonight, Saw Yale last weekend and I was impressed with their speed. As far as Gate, not sure who I want to win in your game tonight(for selfish reasons). Should be a tremendous game tonight, maybe Yale looks forward to Harvard ?
                          I'm guessing that may be the case as tomorrow night's game is sold out, it's Senior Night and the Eli hate us with a passion. Nothing would make them happier than to sweep us in the regular season. For us, the game won't mean anything in the standings because we'll be locked in with a bye.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                            I'm guessing that may be the case as tomorrow night's game is sold out, it's Senior Night and the Eli hate us with a passion. Nothing would make them happier than to sweep us in the regular season. For us, the game won't mean anything in the standings because we'll be locked in with a bye.
                            Yale and Dartmouth have had some pretty good playoff series over the past couple of years at Ingalls, I doubt Yale will overlook them, especially having lost to them already this season. Big tie breaker implications at stake as well. Should be a good game by two improving teams.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                              Thanks a bunch and good luck to you and maybe we will meet in Lake Placid...wouldn’t that be a hoot! You should be right on Point! Literally and figuratively!

Comment

Forgive me, I am so giddy over BG's HUGE win tonight over Yale tonight that I have to tell you about it now! Even with a 6-4 win Yale was slightly the better team. Now my disclaimer is that BG was up comfortably all night so did they play the "prevent D" I don't know. It was the Tree line that did all the damage as they accounted for the first 5 goals totaling 10 pts amongst them. Yale did not have an answer for them all night as Graber controlled the puck at the half boards and when he got in trouble he cycled it back down to Forman with Sellars lurking in the slot. I would also add that they were helped out with some brutal D zone coverage from Yale especially Sweazey.

Now what this all means and based on my top level calculations from afar, BG has clinched the #5 seed (if they lose and Colgate wins tomorrow ending in a tie, BG has more total wins) and will host St Lawrence next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X