Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2017-18 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2017-18 Season

The Morning After.in a very hard fought battle with battle tested Cornell team losing 3-1 with an EN at the end. In my viewing it was a pretty even game . It was tightly contested all night with very little open ice and odd man breaks. The Big Red scores early with a defensive breakdown deep in the BG D zone leading to an easy tap in goal. After that goal, admittedly I believe it he BG would be in for a long night but not more than a couple minutes later BG evens it out while peppering the goalie. After that BG stabilized and actually played a good game getting more chances although Cornell had the better quality chances. With BG on a PP not generating anything Rutherford goes back for a puck retrieval and stops skating thus reaching out and interfering with a Cornell PK killer thus neutralizing the PP making it 4 on 4. Cornell wins the ensuing face off and both Michkowski and Matthews goes after the same man at the right point leaving Angello alone in the high slot where promptly buried a goal. Mistake and/or miscommunication led to that goal. Then Cornell tightens and locks it up making it very difficult for the BG to O zone time and if they were it was on the perimeter. Then with the goalie pulled instead of sustaining momentum Rutherford decides to re group while most of the attackers and sitting on the blue line. He plays catch with Less and they both were responsible for their EN. Who knows what would have happened if BG gets the puck deep and retrieves the puck in the O zone instead of a neutral zone re group. This is NOT picking on Rutherford who is turning into a good player as freshman getting ice on the first unit PP. He will be alone or two center when he is done at BG.

While the loss stings a bit, Cornell proved they are up there with the very best with great structure, timely scoring , great defending and goaltending. The only questions is can they score when coming from behind ...they already have shown thy can lock down with a lead.. Their two best players were Angello and Kaldis. Angello big power forward with skill and a good nasty while Kaldis can skate like the wind ala Paul Coffey, making it look effortless.

BG, let’s regroup and not dwell of what coulda shoulda and prepare for Harvard next weekend. You are in a much better place physically and mentally compared the first time thy played.. Go BIG Green! FYI BG captain Kilistoff is injured and DNP this weekend....big loss on that checking and grinding line.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
      The Morning After.in a very hard fought battle with battle tested Cornell team losing 3-1 with an EN at the end. In my viewing it was a pretty even game . It was tightly contested all night with very little open ice and odd man breaks. The Big Red scores early with a defensive breakdown deep in the BG D zone leading to an easy tap in goal. After that goal, admittedly I believe it he BG would be in for a long night but not more than a couple minutes later BG evens it out while peppering the goalie. After that BG stabilized and actually played a good game getting more chances although Cornell had the better quality chances. With BG on a PP not generating anything Rutherford goes back for a puck retrieval and stops skating thus reaching out and interfering with a Cornell PK killer thus neutralizing the PP making it 4 on 4. Cornell wins the ensuing face off and both Michkowski and Matthews goes after the same man at the right point leaving Angello alone in the high slot where promptly buried a goal. Mistake and/or miscommunication led to that goal. Then Cornell tightens and locks it up making it very difficult for the BG to O zone time and if they were it was on the perimeter. Then with the goalie pulled instead of sustaining momentum Rutherford decides to re group while most of the attackers and sitting on the blue line. He plays catch with Less and they both were responsible for their EN. Who knows what would have happened if BG gets the puck deep and retrieves the puck in the O zone instead of a neutral zone re group. This is NOT picking on Rutherford who is turning into a good player as freshman getting ice on the first unit PP. He will be alone or two center when he is done at BG.

While the loss stings a bit, Cornell proved they are up there with the very best with great structure, timely scoring , great defending and goaltending. The only questions is can they score when coming from behind ...they already have shown thy can lock down with a lead.. Their two best players were Angello and Kaldis. Angello big power forward with skill and a good nasty while Kaldis can skate like the wind ala Paul Coffey, making it look effortless.

BG, let’s regroup and not dwell of what coulda shoulda and prepare for Harvard next weekend. You are in a much better place physically and mentally compared the first time thy played.. Go BIG Green! FYI BG captain Kilistoff is injured and DNP this weekend....big loss on that checking and grinding line.
      Good analysis. Actually Cornell has come from behind to win three times this season. Princeton away down 4-2. Harvard at home down 2-0. Niagara at home down 1-0, 3-1, 4-2. Yale away, down 2-0 to tie.
      . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

Comment

• Originally posted by 40-Year Big Red Fan View Post
        Good analysis. Actually Cornell has come from behind to win three times this season. Princeton away down 4-2. Harvard at home down 2-0. Niagara at home down 1-0, 3-1, 4-2. Yale away, down 2-0 to tie.
        With all due respects to the Big Red and the other ECAC teams mentioned can you come from behind especially in the Frozen Four against the likes of Du, ND, SCSU, MN D etc.? Don’t get me wrong I will be cheering for you guys all the way. Good luck moving forward

Comment

The Green need to improve their face-offs!!! Very costly against Cornell far too many times it cost them possession in the attacking zone.

Comment

Originally posted by eddieshack23 View Post
            The Green need to improve their face-offs!!! Very costly against Cornell far too many times it cost them possession in the attacking zone.
            Great to hear from you again! Without looking up the stats and just based on my viewing and memory, I would have to agree. This much I know: BG rarely wins a FO clean especially when needed in the D zone and on PK or also on the O zone on the PP and it also seems as though they lose the puck battles on the tie-ups after a FO. Either way they will have to improve in this area as this is one way of easy possession if won.

Comment

It's Game Day vs arch nemesis Harvard. This would be a statement game for the BG as they are playing well and seek out to the avenge the 5-0 loss to Harvard back in October. One thing is very clear....this is NOT the same BG team back then and they are playing their best hockey of the season, staked with confidence and swagger. Before it was as if they were playing to say "we belong" and now that same sentiment is "not only do we belong but we can win"! Based on the numbers, it seems as though if you stop Donato (or his line) you have a very good chance of beating Harvard...I imagine we will see heavy doses of Yau/Less and Shoup/Matthews especially with last change. My premonition is that the TREE line will do well as their sheer size and length will cause havoc for the majority of Harvard's D core. Go BIG Green and put up a resounding W! An after thought, maybe Harvard kind of looks past BG as they get ready for the Beanpot!

Comment

It's Game Day vs arch nemesis Harvard. This would be a statement game for the BG as they are playing well and seek out to the avenge the 5-0 loss to Harvard back in October. One thing is very clear....this is NOT the same BG team back then and they are playing their best hockey of the season, staked with confidence and swagger. Before it was as if they were playing to say "we belong" and now that same sentiment is "not only do we belong but we can win"! Based on the numbers, it seems as though if you stop Donato (or his line) you have a very good chance of beating Harvard...I imagine we will see heavy doses of Yau/Less and Shoup/Matthews especially with last change. My premonition is that the TREE line will do well as their sheer size and length will cause havoc for the majority of Harvard's D core. Go BIG Green and put up a resounding W! An after thought, maybe Harvard kind of looks past BG as they get ready for the Beanpot!
                We can't afford to look past you guys. We need the points because Ryan takes off for South Korea next week. Much like the Green are not the same team we faced in October, we are sadly not the same team as that night. We've had our ups and downs, mostly downs, as we have underachieved this year. If I had to draw a silver lining for tonight, it's that we got shut out twice at home last weekend and if the team has any pride, they should bring it but good tonight and get into the dirty areas to create quality scoring chances.

I don't think our D fears you guys as much you would like to believe. We've gone up against teams with big forwards. That doesn't bother us. Right now, offense is our problem.

Comment

Statement Game? I think NOT as BG loses to Harvard! The only statement being made is that Harvard is still better than the BG. Talk about a big disappointment as all indicators coming into the game favored BG but they decide to lay the proverbial EGG...that first period was downright embarrassing as Harvard jumped all over them; if it wasn't for Buffalo BG would have been down 3-0 after one. As it was, D man Han with clear possession decides to take the puck inside and skate out of the D zone and gets it stripped, this led to zone time and the eventual tip in by a Harvard player (nice tip in) so it ends up 1-0 after one. BG finally get their legs in the second and the TREE line scores (Madsen should have had) but Harvard scores on a odd man rush as Rymsha pinches and misses and the Harvard guy deposits a nice shot over the right shoulder of Buffalo with last man Shoup playing it correctly allowing the the Buffalo to focus on shooter. This was a deflater as it came shortly after BG ties it. Then to start the third BG has picked up their game but couldn't put the puck in the net as the PP had on off night with connecting passes leading to bad entries. Then Han again has clear possession skating up ice and couldn't get the puck deep and transition leads to a Donato breakway blue line and in who puts it away easily. Then Harvard pots an EN to close it out. This was indeed a tough loss as I stated earlier all indicators were that BG should have been into this game early and sadly were NOT. The unfortunate thing is that BG cannot come back to night to redeem themselves as they are off. Let's regroup and prepare for next week as the 6-9 positions are getting pretty tight in the conference standings.

Comment

Talked about a big cluster ***k from 5-9 in the standings based on last night's games. A whole 4 points separates Colgate at 5 and Yale at 9. And of course with all due respect teams 9-12 can get on a roll and join the pack. As with any conference play, each game is a 4-pointer so you can either make ground / fall behind even further or separate yourself from the pack / fall back in the pack. What will your team do down the stretch in fighting for the coveted HOME ICE for the playoffs ? I am pulling for you BIG Green!

Comment

It's Game Day Weekend as the BG travels to the Capital District to take on RPI and Union. We will see if BG can brake the mini skid it has been on and the best way to do that is to score goals and get the MOJO back. Also if the PP can score at least one in each game that will help immensely. This has been traditionally a tough trip for the BG but this team is finally battle-tested and compete and win. Go BIG Green!

Comment

Talk about a game with very little flow and a lot of whistles either for offsides and/or icing! However, the BG will take in a 7-3 win over RPI. The story of the game has the be the TREE line of Graber/Sellar/Forman as they accounted for the first five goals albeit one was 2/3 of the line on a PP. Again their length and cycle game below dots gave the RPI D men fits. That line accounted for 13 points and a +11...cannot ask for better than that as RPI cannot score when they do not have the puck and when they do get it, they have to go 200 ft. D Man Shoup was very good as his game is on the uptick. Let's carry to MOJO into a tough game tonight vs Union. Go get them BIG Green!

Comment

When a "win" is NOT a W? That is exactly what happened last night in the 2-1 loss to Union. Flat out, BG was the better team all night, save for a couple of plays and Kupsky. Optics and stats will back this up. The TREE line after a monster game was neutralized although they had the better of the play every time they were out there. Shoup continues his vastly improved play with a nice goal from the high slot as he moved up to the top pairing with Less. Chances chances...how Kalk miss that open net is beyond me. Yau moves the puck to Jasiek who waits to Kalk opens up on the backside and delivers a nice cross ice pass to Kalk who one-times only to miss (save or post ?), other times Grade A shots are placed right on the crest of Kupsky. Mistakes mistakes... McLaughlin allows a clean FO win in his D zone and Morgan absolutely snipes it in the top blocker corner, Rymsha taking a penalty (although I not so sure it was, looked like a good shoulder to shoulder hit) and they score on a high slot tip that goes through Clark's five hole as he was going side to side.

Comment

When a "win" is NOT a W? That is exactly what happened last night in the 2-1 loss to Union. Flat out, BG was the better team all night, save for a couple of plays and Kupsky. Optics and stats will back this up. The TREE line after a monster game was neutralized although they had the better of the play every time they were out there. Shoup continues his vastly improved play with a nice goal from the high slot as he moved up to the top pairing with Less. Chances chances...how Kalk miss that open net is beyond me. Yau moves the puck to Jasiek who waits to Kalk opens up on the backside and delivers a nice cross ice pass to Kalk who one-times only to miss (save or post ?), other times Grade A shots are placed right on the crest of Kupsky. Mistakes mistakes... McLaughlin allows a clean FO win in his D zone and Morgan absolutely snipes it in the top blocker corner, Rymsha taking a penalty (although I not so sure it was, looked like a good shoulder to shoulder hit) and they score on a high slot tip that goes through Clark's five hole as he was going side to side.
                            Part 2:

Missed Opportunities: First PP unit has no cohesion as entry is terrible compounded by once they enter they have a hard time setting up ; why is McLaughlin on the PP unit as he lost the puck (battles) all night and when he does have his decision-making is questionable however he does possess a a heavy shot; why isn't Yau paired with Shoup (your two best offensive d men) at the end of the game with an extra attacker ; although Kalk is a dangerous offensive player his role on the first unit PP is not jiving

Moving Forward: 3rd and checking line misses Kilistoff badly as they have dried up offensively which we knew was going to happen ; so it seems like five of the D slots are accounted for with a 3 man rotation for that sixth slot ; Freshmen centers Baker and Rutherford are finding out that it is getting tougher to find time and space so slight tweaks are needed ; the goalie tandem of Buffalo and Clark seems to be working and keeping Buffalo honest

BG, you have proven that you can play with the heavyweights (sometimes outplay them) so let's put it all together to close out the season with momentum and MOJO in the chase/fight for home ice (5-8) for the playoffs and from there it's anybody's game. BG, YOU CAN DO IT!

Comment

Calling all BIG Green fans to jump on board now. I do realize that you haven't had much to write about but this BG team is for real as they have the loyal fans like me really excited and their renewed play should get you somewhat peaked as well. I don't mind posting post game thoughts but I would really appreciate another perspective...may be I am seeing all things GREEN! Hop on board for the ride with a hopeful stop in Lake Placid! Go BIG Green!

Comment

A very nice win yesterday 3-2 over Clarkson to complete a season sweep but it definitely was way less simple than that as Clarkson was probably slightly the better last night. How is this for a Stat Fact.... the BG has never trailed Clarkson in both wins! Will post more later

Comment

Working...
                                X