Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2017-18 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2017-18 Season

Here's one final reminder that today is the LAST DAY to submit an entry into the ECAC Pick The Standings contest! League play starts tonight, so if you'd like to participate, just head on over to the thread and submit your prediction! Thanks and good luck!
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Big Green loses their season opener to Holy Cross in a mixed-bag results 5-3! They were down 3-0 before they knew what hit them in the first with a couple of ill-advised penalties and HC's conversion on the ensuing PP. However, momentum shifted as Warpecha scores late in the first and just 6 seconds after HC's third goal. Heading into the second, the Big Green scores less than and a minute with Blankemeir with stick down in the slot to convert on a nice centering pass from Kalk. Then Big Green converts on their own PP with Roth throwing a puck to the net and Kilistoff with net-front presence and tip-in to make it 3-3. Then the Big Green takes another lazy ill-advised penalty and HC converts on the PP for the eventual GW goal. But the Big Green were not finished as they poured on pressure only to have the HC goalie make big saves and finally a turnover leads to the fifth and final goal.

For the first game of the season the results were OK as some of the plays were at least correctable (lazy interference and hooking/slashing penalties) which lead to three PP goals; so the tally PP/PK was (3-1) minus 2, the difference in the game. Big Green certainly did not have puck-luck last night as two PP goals given up, were "own" goals off a defender. Surprisingly, the Big Green played all three freshmen D with Matthews looking promising although he did get beat on a stretch pass at his own blue line for a breakaway goal. Yau and Roth looked good as well. The "checking" grind line line of Warpecha/Kilistoff/Neily continues to score! Let's regroup and get rested for tomorrow's night game vs Harvard!

Comment

A big BIG GREEN Sunday as they travel to take on Harvard in each's first ECAC tilt. Obviously Harvard is the better team on paper as they were a mere crossbar away from tying UMD in the Frozen Four Semis's last year, really only losing Kerfoot who is playing awesome with the Av's on a line with Duschene...not too shabby! These two spit last season in two home blow-outs...yes even for the BIG Green as it was probably Harvard's worst lost of the season. While Harvard's deep, the two to look out for is Donato with lights-out hands and feet and Fox with a smart-chip brain; said another way Donato will dazzle while Fox will let the puck do the work. Keys for success for the BIG Green: score the first goal, limit turnovers and Harvard will bury them, stay out of box as again Harvard will convert, 5-man D coverage in all three zones, and play with passion, energy, and purpose (PUP).

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
          A big BIG GREEN Sunday as they travel to take on Harvard in each's first ECAC tilt. Obviously Harvard is the better team on paper as they were a mere crossbar away from tying UMD in the Frozen Four Semis's last year, really only losing Kerfoot who is playing awesome with the Av's on a line with Duschene...not too shabby! These two spit last season in two home blow-outs...yes even for the BIG Green as it was probably Harvard's worst lost of the season. While Harvard's deep, the two to look out for is Donato with lights-out hands and feet and Fox with a smart-chip brain; said another way Donato will dazzle while Fox will let the puck do the work. Keys for success for the BIG Green: score the first goal, limit turnovers and Harvard will bury them, stay out of box as again Harvard will convert, 5-man D coverage in all three zones, and play with passion, energy, and purpose (PUP).
          The respective U18 scores as well as the polls of course suggest that the Crimson may be the favorite tonight. But then assuming they are the better team has occasionally been their undoing. In any event, it's the first (real) game of the season and we always enjoy seeing the Big Green, either in Allston or at Thompson in my home town!

Comment

So I REALLY want to be kind when I say that you guys were out of your league tonight. We skated rings around you and this game was never in doubt after the first 15 minutes. Maybe it was opening night jitters but I don't see much hope for this year. Not a whole lot of skill - Buffalo is going to be busy most nights. Again, I'm trying to be kind but...

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
              So I REALLY want to be kind when I say that you guys were out of your league tonight. We skated rings around you and this game was never in doubt after the first 15 minutes. Maybe it was opening night jitters but I don't see much hope for this year. Not a whole lot of skill - Buffalo is going to be busy most nights. Again, I'm trying to be kind but...
              Thats kind? wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                The respective U18 scores as well as the polls of course suggest that the Crimson may be the favorite tonight. But then assuming they are the better team has occasionally been their undoing. In any event, it's the first (real) game of the season and we always enjoy seeing the Big Green, either in Allston or at Thompson in my home town!
                It played out and Harvard was by far the better team! Maybe see you in Hanover! Good luck rest of the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                  That's why we actually play the game! You might have short-term memory when the Big Green handed you your WORST loss of the season last year! It was never a secret that Harvard was better than the Big Green and I admitted as such praising your team and players. Also you weren't you the one who argued with me about Fox and you finally answered your own question. Go back and read all my posts regarding Fox and why I think he may be the best in college right now.

Comment

Yes it was a royal pasting as the Big Green were only in the game for the first 10 minutes and once Harvard scored their first goal the night was over. Although I believe the Big Green had the play in the third but the outcome was well decided and Harvard just wanted to get through the remainder of the game unscathed. The skill level between the two teams in night and day. Fox and Donato did not disappoint but also add Badini and Walsh as freshmen. The positives: Matthews looks promising and paired with Yau are right now the most reliable, Clark in relief looked good in goal. The areas of improvement: Special teams and -2 giving both a PP and a Shortie while being "skunked"; Big Green still has a hard time gaining entry and setting-up, very little offensive flow, and goaltending. Well, its the beginning of the season and plenty of time for corrections and improvements until the March time frame when it all counts!

Comment

That's why we actually play the game! You might have short-term memory when the Big Green handed you your WORST loss of the season last year! It was never a secret that Harvard was better than the Big Green and I admitted as such praising your team and players. Also you weren't you the one who argued with me about Fox and you finally answered your own question. Go back and read all my posts regarding Fox and why I think he may be the best in college right now.
                      I didn't argue with you about Fox; merely pointed out that Adam got better in the D zone as the year progressed. You as I recall felt that he had problems handling one on one situations with a winger bearing down on him. Adam sees the game in ways that other D just can't. If you don't believe me, I can refer you to an LA Kings scout I spoke with who feels that Adam's intelligence and ability to see the play develop in advance will stand him in good stead as a pro.

Comment

. . . when the Big Green handed you your WORST loss of the season last year!
                        I agree there have been plenty of surprises in Harvard-Dartmouth match-ups over the last several years, and that uncertainly does add to the fun.
                        Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 11-01-2017, 05:57 PM.

Comment

*** And a quick question BIG Green: At home, does Dartmouth shoot twice at the front door end (sections 1,2,22)? I imagine so, based on availability for the Harvard game in February. And by the way tickets of $10 ($5 for kids) is a ridiculous bargain! We'll want to see Harvard shoot twice of course.

Comment

*** And a quick question BIG Green: At home, does Dartmouth shoot twice at the front door end (sections 1,2,22)? I imagine so, based on availability for the Harvard game in February. And by the way tickets of $10 ($5 for kids) is a ridiculous bargain! We'll want to see Harvard shoot twice of course.
                            Need that info as well, coming up for the Ledyard tourney, thanks.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

Crimson on the Glass and LTsatch, you are correct in that the Big Green will shoot at the goal closest to the front in the 1 and 3rd periods as their entrance to their locker room are in the D Zone in those periods.

Yes the tix bargain! I only hope that it gets more expensive from the standpoint of high demand which would mean putting a better and winning product out there. LOL!

Comment

It's Game Day as we are in ECAC play. Big Green needs to bounce back from the pasting it took from Harvard last Sunday. Can the team make the necesary adjustments needed to game plan for an improved Brown team. The games between these two teams have been historically close and it will probably will be no different tonight. So the key for the Big Green is to win the special teams battle coming out with a positive number or at bare minimum equal. Go Dartmouth👍

Comment

Working...
                                X