X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV: There She Is, The Old Radiation King

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    The more I watch The Vietnam War, the angrier I get.
    Vietnam broke my Dad's heart about the USG like the pedo stuff broke his heart about the Church. About Nixon he was entirely blase: "Of course he's a crook. Look at the guy's beady eyes." )
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Vietnam broke my Dad's heart about the USG like the pedo stuff broke his heart about the Church. About Nixon he was entirely blase: "Of course he's a crook. Look at the guy's beady eyes." )
      I don't think my dad has voted for a single republican since Vietnam. Maybe Arne Carlson. I don't know that he's ever forgiven them for killing nearly 60,000 people over nothing.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

There's a quirky show on Netflix that some might like, called Life.

Sarah Shahi in pre-Person of Interest role as LA police detective whose partner was wrongly accused of a crime, spent 12 years in jail, was exonerated and came back to the police force with a Zen attitude and a craving for fresh fruit.

Yeah, everyone is a bit quirky, but the crimes they solve are fairly interesting and the quirkiness is more mildly charming than outright annoying.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I learned where the term "slapstick" came from.

A "slap stick" originally was a stage prop, two pieces of wood on a hinge that were snapped together off-stage for a sound effect whenever someone on stage was supposed to be slapped.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            There's a quirky show on Netflix that some might like, called Life.

Sarah Shahi in pre-Person of Interest role as LA police detective whose partner was wrongly accused of a crime, spent 12 years in jail, was exonerated and came back to the police force with a Zen attitude and a craving for fresh fruit.

Yeah, everyone is a bit quirky, but the crimes they solve are fairly interesting and the quirkiness is more mildly charming than outright annoying.
            Watched that when it was first on network, based solely on post Band of Brothers Damian Lewis.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I don't think my dad has voted for a single republican since Vietnam. Maybe Arne Carlson. I don't know that he's ever forgiven them for killing nearly 60,000 people over nothing.
              While I can understand why anyone from the Nixon era would never vote Republican , I don't quite get this statement. Is it because he felt Nixon surrendered? I'm hard pressed to think that he would feel the Repubs forced us into the war. Sure Ike sent advisors and equipment but it was only something like 1K men. JFK bumped that considerably but it was LBJ who threw the gas on the fire. Not trying to troll or start a feces throwing contest but just trying to understand his rationale.
              "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
              Groucho Marx
              "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
              Ron White
              "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
              Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                While I can understand why anyone from the Nixon era would never vote Republican , I don't quite get this statement. Is it because he felt Nixon surrendered? I'm hard pressed to think that he would feel the Repubs forced us into the war. Sure Ike sent advisors and equipment but it was only something like 1K men. JFK bumped that considerably but it was LBJ who threw the gas on the fire. Not trying to troll or start a feces throwing contest but just trying to understand his rationale.
                Speaking as an inveterate hater of Republicans, Vietnam was a bipartisan disaster. JFK was a cold war liberal who hated the dirty rotten commies. LBJ had to worry about Dixiecrats and also the 60s version of our Deplorables -- Archie Bunker Dems left over from the New Deal coalition. And of course Nixon didn't even believe in the war, he just used it like he used everything to advance himself in the Richard III act that was his whole misbegotten life.

Vietnam was when most Americans discovered that the US is just another imperial power on the road throwing its weight around, and just another class stratified machine at home pouring the Poors into the meat grinder to prop up share price. It marked the moment when political partisanship started to divide along lines of education and intelligence. The people on the left abandoned the mainstream Dems and the Republicans and created the liberal social movements that have ascended ever since, but the price we paid was the fragmentation on economic policy has given the Plutes a 50-year crime spree.

We're only just coming out of it -- the right still lives in it every resentful day -- but we'll never really be rid of it until the Boomers just die off.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  Watched that when it was first on network, based solely on post Band of Brothers Damian Lewis.
                  I did too. I liked it, for the most part. Lewis carried the show, and Shahi disappeared for a period, due to personal issues in her real life - marriage, IIRC. It was decent enough, mixing episodic TV with an over-arching serial story of trying to solve who it was that framed Lewis's character for the murder of his best friend, and the friend's wife and son. I would like to have seen it get a third season to close out the story arc.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Speaking as an inveterate hater of Republicans
                    Renault: Everybody is to leave here immediately! This cafe is closed until further notice. Clear the room, at once!
                    Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
                    Renault: I am shocked- shocked- to find that gambling is going on in here!
                    Croupier: [hands Renault money] Your winnings, sir.
                    Renault: Oh, thank you very much. Everybody out at once!
                    As to the rest of your answer, I don't have any real arguments. None of the POTUSs were without blame. However, if this was a torts case and I could find comparative fault (UNOfan can correct me if I'm using the wrong term), LBJ would be responsible for the vast majority of it.
                    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                    Groucho Marx
                    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                    Ron White
                    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                    Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                      As to the rest of your answer, I don't have any real arguments. None of the POTUSs were without blame. However, if this was a torts case and I could find comparative fault (UNOfan can correct me if I'm using the wrong term), LBJ would be responsible for the vast majority of it.
                      Sounds about right to me. I'd say the blame goes .4 Archie Bunkers, .3 Dixiecrats, .3 Plutes. Of course, add them together by today's coalition and it's a perfect 1.0 GOP.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Knuckledragger snowflake poutrage freakout in 5, 4, 3...
                        Cornell University

Comment

Methinks you overreact. I merely wonder how a female would both bear a child and also become a monk? In most traditions, the latter practice includes celibacy, no? Maybe after the first she then took up the second. I guess we'll see.

Comment

Interesting premise. I'd probably give it a shot.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Saw the new Jeff Dunham special on Netflix streaming. The hits are awesome, but the misses are bad. It evens out in the end. Worth watching, but it ain't gold.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Is he the puppet guy?
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X