This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: There She Is, The Old Radiation King

A lot of Burnett's scripts are contrived. She was working when TV treated the audience like snowflakes.

Watching her do interviews is great, though -- she is so measured and professional, and half the time the hairdo behind the desk has no idea what's happening.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Watched the first four episodes of the German show Dark on Netflix. Really like it. Part twin peaks and part stranger things.

I do speak German but need the subtitles for at least 60%. Would not recommend watching the dubbed version as the translation makes it tough- much better off with subtitles.

Comment

And black mirror season 4 release date is dec 29.

Comment

Curse of Oak Island. Yes, it's frustrating as hell. Yes, I'm hooked. Yes, I cannot wait until next week's program.

I really think they're going to find something this season. Maybe not a buried treasure. But enough evidence to show that something was man-made on that island for whatever purpose. And that there actually is some sort of pit on that island, whether it still contains money or not may remain to be seen.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I was just thinking about Oak island. I picked it back up this year and it has been awesome. Last year sucked and I stopped watching.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I don't think they're going to find treasure or anything like that, but there is something weird with the island, and what they find there. Something happened there, and it would be interesting just to figure out more about it.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Hello Julia!
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Chance S2 is on deck.

Comment

One thing I sort of miss in today's television shows compared to those from a few decades ago: a great opening sequence.*

Certainly I understand why they disappeared: no longer enough time for them. To insert more commercials, something else needed to be cut. (uncut shows from the late 60s/early 70s ran for about 52 minutes, I think; today's run for about 43).

The original Hawaii 50 had one of the greatest opening sequences ever; the music was so good it became a standalone top 40 hit, reaching #11 and gold status.
                    Here's the opening sequence: https://youtu.be/AepyGm9Me6w
                    Here's one of The Ventures live versions: https://youtu.be/7BUQ-wVXU8k
                    and if you really like the music, here's the extended version: https://youtu.be/hwhvByj8YG8

Between visuals and music, I've seen lists where The A-Team opening was voted the best ever. https://youtu.be/_MVonyVSQoM though I wouldn't myself have placed it quite so high.

My favorite opening sequence was probably the original Mission Impossible, I especially liked the piece where there was a champagne toast and when the glasses clinked together it was immediately followed by an explosion. That opening sequence changed over the years, here is a montage of six of them back-to-back-to-back: https://youtu.be/AvBVGsd4Lzc

My favorite opening was the first season or two of the original MacGyver. The music theme was meh, but before they even started the opening sequence, MacGyver would be finishing up a mission somewhere; then the opening sequence would start after that action scene.

Even the half-hour comedies from that time period had extended openings, like The Bob Newhart Show with Bob taking the el home on an impossible route if you actually know the city's geography (he gets off the el in Ravenswood yet lives in a lakefront highrise??), or The Mary Tyler Moore Show with the iconic hat in the air ending.

* at least one exception: The Sopranos opening is quite cinematic as they lead us through many of the settings which recur throughout the series. I wonder if on subsequent releases they edited the opening from the first season, in which you'd see the Twin Towers in his sideview mirror.
                    Last edited by FreshFish; 12-08-2017, 12:53 PM.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Speaking of the original Mission Impossible, there were maybe four major recurring themes that still seem current:
                      - organized crime needs to be infiltrated and criminals brought to justice
                      - Arab terrorism needs to be stopped
                      - South American dictators need to be thwarted
                      - Russian subterfuge needs to be countered

A fifth major theme, Communist eastern Europe, is dated at least.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Grand Tour season 2 is underway.

First episode is a doozy, particularly the ending.
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Finished Dark, as did my sister and two friends. All of us love it, even if we’re a little confused on a few things. Loved the time travel science mixed with the creepy woods vibe along with good casting and acting . I agree with reviews that it’s like season one of twin peaks and really hope for a season 2.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            One thing I sort of miss in today's television shows compared to those from a few decades ago: a great opening sequence.*

Certainly I understand why they disappeared: no longer enough time for them. To insert more commercials, something else needed to be cut. (uncut shows from the late 60s/early 70s ran for about 52 minutes, I think; today's run for about 43).

The original Hawaii 50 had one of the greatest opening sequences ever; the music was so good it became a standalone top 40 hit, reaching #11 and gold status.
                            and if you really like the music, here's the extended version: https://youtu.be/hwhvByj8YG8

Between visuals and music, I've seen lists where The A-Team opening was voted the best ever. https://youtu.be/_MVonyVSQoM though I wouldn't myself have placed it quite so high.

My favorite opening sequence was probably the original Mission Impossible, I especially liked the piece where there was a champagne toast and when the glasses clinked together it was immediately followed by an explosion. That opening sequence changed over the years, here is a montage of six of them back-to-back-to-back: https://youtu.be/AvBVGsd4Lzc

My favorite opening was the first season or two of the original MacGyver. The music theme was meh, but before they even started the opening sequence, MacGyver would be finishing up a mission somewhere; then the opening sequence would start after that action scene.

Even the half-hour comedies from that time period had extended openings, like The Bob Newhart Show with Bob taking the el home on an impossible route if you actually know the city's geography (he gets off the el in Ravenswood yet lives in a lakefront highrise??), or The Mary Tyler Moore Show with the iconic hat in the air ending.

* at least one exception: The Sopranos opening is quite cinematic as they lead us through many of the settings which recur throughout the series. I wonder if on subsequent releases they edited the opening from the first season, in which you'd see the Twin Towers in his sideview mirror.
                            The opening of The Avengers changed over the years, but was always good.
                            https://youtu.be/3mLSIrxsHY0
                            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

You need to watch more high quality TV. Most of the HBO series, and the high quality AMC, or FX series have intro music and sequences. Just to name a few: Game of Thrones, The Leftovers, The Americans, Westworld, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Wire.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Sopranos, House, OITNB, House of Cards, True Detective

It’s hard to think of a show that doesn’t have one.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X