Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: TV: There She Is, The Old Radiation King

Re: TV: There She Is, The Old Radiation King

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    I was very surprised that the TV show "Major Crimes" moved one of their characters* into a "I want a gun and a concealed carry permit" theme on the show, even more so given the show's setting of Los Angeles.

*Young, white, gay male. The character was a witness against a now escaped serial killer and other folks associated with the case are coming up dead.
    I wasn't. One of my favorite shows. Sad to see it go after this season.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

Kichizapi Chetan

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I wasn't. One of my favorite shows. Sad to see it go after this season.
    I'll miss Lt. Provenza (aka Lt (later Capt) Thaddeus Harris, aka Sgt Luther Rizzo)
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    I'll miss Lt. Provenza (aka Lt (later Capt) Thaddeus Harris, aka Sgt Luther Rizzo)
    Provenza is one of my fave TV characters of all time.

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Yeah, that sucks.

Hollywood is burning. Allegation? You're done. Period.
    I'm ok with that. Sometimes, you need to scourge the earth to let it grow back better and stronger. If this is what it takes to out all the creeps and pervs, the abusers and those who prey on women and children, I'm ok with that.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Provenza is one of my fave TV characters of all time.
    I will take this occasion to highly recommend the movie Rustler's Rhapsody.

"Well, from now on, I'm the town root junkie."
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I'm ok with that. Sometimes, you need to scourge the earth to let it grow back better and stronger. If this is what it takes to out all the creeps and pervs, the abusers and those who prey on women and children, I'm ok with that.
    Not sure a simple allegation and you're done is a good thing, though. Innocent until proven guilty? Remember that?

That being said, when you have a slew of allegations and such (Spacey, Weinstein, now Louis CK), alright, that's a big pattern. Lots of smoke there.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Not sure a simple allegation and you're done is a good thing, though. Innocent until proven guilty? Remember that?

That being said, when you have a slew of allegations and such (Spacey, Weinstein, now Louis CK), alright, that's a big pattern. Lots of smoke there.
    Louis admitted it was true today so let's not pretend some angry woman made it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Louis admitted it was true today so let's not pretend some angry woman made it up.
    That's what I was saying.

If it's a simple allegation, nothing more, one should not be done until proven guilty. If there is a pattern (like the people I named) and/or it's proven...that's a different story.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

That's what I was saying.

If it's a simple allegation, nothing more, one should not be done until proven guilty. If there is a pattern (like the people I named) and/or it's proven...that's a different story.
    The pattern stuff is maddening. People have tried to tell the truth about Lois for years and were silenced. Republicans are defending a guy who is now admitting he dated girls under 18. Were now up to 130 young girls in USA gymnastics who were sexually abused. And yet some people don't believe it - sure gangs of women are colliding, agreeing to lie and have their names dragged through the mud

The pattern stuff is maddening. People have tried to tell the truth about Lois for years and were silenced. Republicans are defending a guy who is now admitting he dated girls under 18. Were now up to 130 young girls in USA gymnastics who were sexually abused. And yet some people don't believe it - sure gangs of women are colliding, agreeing to lie and have their names dragged through the mud
    I'm not saying that. Please stop quoting me, where it appears I am saying that. Thank you.

I'm not saying that. Please stop quoting me, where it appears I am saying that. Thank you.
    I didn't quote you to argue sorry. I gave my opinion on how the patterns are what make me crazy about this.
    I don't think we disagree here...but I wasn't trying to argue with you

I didn't quote you to argue sorry. I gave my opinion on how the patterns are what make me crazy about this.
    I don't think we disagree here...but I wasn't trying to argue with you
    I just don't want to be mis-represented.

We don't disagree at all. However, I think we DO agree that the way these allegations are flying, some innocent people will be marked for life.

He fixes the cable?

I admire that he just admitted it, but it is after he was forced to. The statement also never uses the word sorry or apologize. He does use the words remorse and regret, though. It really reads like "Yep, did it. Didn't think it was a big deal at the time. I was wrong. Whoops."

Too bad. He's a great writer. Expected better.

Truthfully though, even if it was an amazing apology it would have fallen on deaf ears. Which is warranted.

I just don't want to be mis-represented.

Sure does seem to happen to you a lot.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Just finished The Last Kingdom

Or at least the two seasons that they've done.

Loved it as did the wife.

Not saying it's better than GoT, but I enjoy it more.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

The 'tell' is how they respond to the allegations. I remember in Chicago, maybe 25 or 30 years ago, at the height of the Catholic Church sexual abuse of boys scandal, Cardinal Joseph Bernadin, was accused of molesting a teen years earlier. He was classy and gracious throughout, and later on the now-grown up teen recanted and apologized. Bernadin never did anything remotely wrong, and ultimately was cleared.

Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    The statement also never uses the word sorry or apologize. He does use the words remorse and regret, though. It really reads like "Yep, did it. Didn't think it was a big deal at the time. I was wrong. Whoops."
    Exactly what I was trying to say above. Bernadin showed more concern for the suffering his accuser endured. It wasn't about him, it was about how the victim had been wronged, even if he himself didn't do it.

That's kind of what I meant by the "tell": is it about them? or is it about how someone else was harmed?

I really hate those statements that read like "I'm sorry I got caught."

What concerns me more is that real serious, severe cases of assault are being lumped together by the salacious media reporting with "he grabbed my azz once on set." the latter certainly is unacceptable, surely; some gradation of guilt might be in order? It's the serial rapists and repeat abusers really deserve the real serious consequences; not necessarily everyone who ever leered at a woman (or teen boy) when overserved 20 years ago.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 11-11-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

The pattern stuff is maddening. People have tried to tell the truth about Louis for years and were silenced. ...
    Gawker ran a story almost five years ago that told of a “critically cherished sitcom auteur” who jerked it in front of women.

Their sister site Jezebel followed up on it two year ago, after investigating it, and were critically slammed by site visitors for trying to drag Louis CK's reputation through the mud.

https://jezebel.com/on-rumors-1820301960

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Gawker ran a story almost five years ago that told of a “critically cherished sitcom auteur” who jerked it in front of women.

Their sister site Jezebel followed up on it two year ago, after investigating it, and were critically slammed by site visitors for trying to drag Louis CK's reputation through the mud.

https://jezebel.com/on-rumors-1820301960
    The problem with Jezebel was they tried to make the leap to quickly and they dont have the respect and history in the mainstream to pull that off. When the Jen Kirkman story came out and all of a sudden that got linked to this (and they can play innocent all they want to they were trying to tie them together and werent even hiding it) they didnt really think there would be any backlash. They figured Kirkman would go "THANK GOD!!!" and give them the dirt. She didnt. People following the story though still linked them which got Kirkman seriously attacked.

The second that happened Jezebel should have been vocally saying (way more than they were or are even pretending they were) talking about how they arent linked. Even if they believe they are linked there is zero evidence they are and Kirkman is flat out denying it. They didnt play it that way though and never spoke out when other sites ran with the idea either which was tacitly agreeing. That got Jen even more hate as the story spread which is why she blasted them. (I remember reading a bunch about this back then...the whole thing from all sides was just so sloppy)

I dont have much respect for Jezebel anyways...they play lots of games with the truth in hopes of finding scandal.

(none of this in any way excuses what Louis did)
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Generic Catchy Message

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    The problem with Jezebel was they tried to make the leap to quickly and they dont have the respect and history in the mainstream to pull that off. When the Jen Kirkman story came out and all of a sudden that got linked to this (and they can play innocent all they want to they were trying to tie them together and werent even hiding it) they didnt really think there would be any backlash. They figured Kirkman would go "THANK GOD!!!" and give them the dirt. She didnt. People following the story though still linked them which got Kirkman seriously attacked.

The second that happened Jezebel should have been vocally saying (way more than they were or are even pretending they were) talking about how they arent linked. Even if they believe they are linked there is zero evidence they are and Kirkman is flat out denying it. They didnt play it that way though and never spoke out when other sites ran with the idea either which was tacitly agreeing. That got Jen even more hate as the story spread which is why she blasted them. (I remember reading a bunch about this back then...the whole thing from all sides was just so sloppy)

I dont have much respect for Jezebel anyways...they play lots of games with the truth in hopes of finding scandal.

(none of this in any way excuses what Louis did)
    Gawker/Jezebel's issue is that they continually straddle(d) the line between journalism and gossip, which is why one of them doesn't exist anymore (well, that and a billionaire with a mission). If I remember right, they didn't even have confirmation it was Louis at the time, they just guessed. A pretty easy guess based on the info, but still a guess.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7

Go State! Beat Penn State
    7-5-0 (1-3-0-0, t-6th B1G)

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

halfway crucified

"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

Thread Information