X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: There She Is, The Old Radiation King

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I think Netflix or Amazon has the whole thing for free?
    Hulu or amazon. I know Netflix doesn’t have it.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      I know that's the world he lived in, he deserved a better ending, good or bad. I don't expect sunshine and unicorns. I have been told there is more to it, have to finish the final season to find out. Better not disappoint.
      Everyone deserves a better ending. Life doesn't always work like that. And that was the beauty of The Wire, it didn't pander like regular tv, take the easy way, the age-old ways of television story-telling, what the audience expects. It turned that stuff on its head, and instead showed you life, complete with all its beauties and its faults. How things are, and work, not how they should.

Same thing with Bodie's storyline.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        Everyone deserves a better ending. Life doesn't always work like that. And that was the beauty of The Wire, it didn't pander like regular tv, take the easy way, the age-old ways of television story-telling, what the audience expects. It turned that stuff on its head, and instead showed you life, complete with all its beauties and its faults. How things are, and work, not how they should.

Same thing with Bodie's storyline.
        Just finished the series. Ended on a high note. F spoilers at this point, but the kid who ended Omar....no reason. Didn't make a name for himself, not in on the bounty, AFAIK Omar didn't harm his people, so it was bullsh*, IMO. Even in disorder, there is order.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

no there isn't. that's why its disorder.

life and death are random and enigmatic. especially in the areas where The Wire takes place, and in the 'careers' it showcases. that's what it was meant to show. just cause omar had a code, doesn't mean he can escape the perils of his chosen trade.

as I said before. it doesn't have to have a reason. it doesn't need to make sense. real life doesn't work that way. that you feel the need for it to have to conform to the tried and true tropes of television storytelling is all on you.

one of the greatest and most powerful scenes I've seen in tv was on the short-lived Terminator series with Lena Headey, for just this same reason. She, her son, and Kyle Reese's brother(played by the inimitable Brian Austin Greene) were fleeing the bad terminator when Reese rounds a corner, boom, bullet right to the middle of the forehead. No heroic standoff, no, "i'll hold them off while you get away", no noble sacrifice for the higher cause. just, one minute you're fleeing for your life, and the next you're dead. that's how life is, and good storytelling should reflect that.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Hulu or amazon. I know Netflix doesn’t have it.
            Why not just TiVo it when the station runs the inevitable marathon before the next season starts?
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              no there isn't. that's why its disorder.

life and death are random and enigmatic. especially in the areas where The Wire takes place, and in the 'careers' it showcases. that's what it was meant to show. just cause omar had a code, doesn't mean he can escape the perils of his chosen trade.

as I said before. it doesn't have to have a reason. it doesn't need to make sense. real life doesn't work that way. that you feel the need for it to have to conform to the tried and true tropes of television storytelling is all on you.

one of the greatest and most powerful scenes I've seen in tv was on the short-lived Terminator series with Lena Headey, for just this same reason. She, her son, and Kyle Reese's brother(played by the inimitable Brian Austin Greene) were fleeing the bad terminator when Reese rounds a corner, boom, bullet right to the middle of the forehead. No heroic standoff, no, "i'll hold them off while you get away", no noble sacrifice for the higher cause. just, one minute you're fleeing for your life, and the next you're dead. that's how life is, and good storytelling should reflect that.
              That is the exact reason why The Wire is so good. It isn't contrived drama. What happened to Omar, and the way it happened to Omar is what happens in real life, with no explanation of why. It is true to the realities of real life, and that is why it is so great. It isn't over-dramatized or milked in any way, just real life.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Why not just TiVo it when the station runs the inevitable marathon before the next season starts?
                I could do that as well.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Speaking of Omar, I've been watching Hap & Leonard on Netflix. It stars James Purefoy and Michael Kenneth Williams (the actor that plays Omar, and Chalky White on Boardwalk Empire), as 2 best friends that are borderline petty criminals, that are actually decent guys that end up caught up in bad situations. I think it normally runs on Sundance. Both of the first 2 seasons are pretty short. The first season is OK, and also co-stars Jimmi Simpson and Christina Hendricks. Short synopsis, they are looking for a lost cache of money, get involved with nefarious individuals, and have to figure a way out. The second season is much more serious, IMO. The 2 become aware of a serial killer, the cops suspect Leonard is involved, Hap and Leonard try to figure out who the killer is before they're framed/arrested for the crimes.

The first season is a little more light-hearted, but the end gets intense. The second season is really intense from the get-go and deals with some pretty serious issues. I recommend it.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    That is the exact reason why The Wire is so good. It isn't contrived drama. What happened to Omar, and the way it happened to Omar is what happens in real life, with no explanation of why. It is true to the realities of real life, and that is why it is so great. It isn't over-dramatized or milked in any way, just real life.
                    in fact, it deliberately avoids the overly dramatic story-telling devices traditionally used in tv in favor of a more raw, but authentic, look at the areas and the people involved. there are no 'noble' police officers battling against corruption and bureaucracy to see that justice gets done, there are just people, good and bad, even within the same person, just trying to do their job and get through their day. the dope slingers aren't evil criminals, they're just people trying to make it through and survive in a system that they didn't create.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      Just have the kid rob the store, and Omar happens to be there. Oops, there's a witness. ANYthing would have worked better IMO.

And the finale of Jessica Jones was really good. Tied it all together, and SO many ways it can go, if it's continued. Lots of frayed ends.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Some random little kid, one who actually ISN'T one of the many that runs around saying "Omar is coming, watch out" when he walks down the street, is gonna pop him? For what? What is the reason?
                        "Some random little kid". Yeah.....you probably should have watched closer.
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                        X