X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: There She Is, The Old Radiation King

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Not sure a simple allegation and you're done is a good thing, though. Innocent until proven guilty? Remember that?
    The 'tell' is how they respond to the allegations. I remember in Chicago, maybe 25 or 30 years ago, at the height of the Catholic Church sexual abuse of boys scandal, Cardinal Joseph Bernadin, was accused of molesting a teen years earlier. He was classy and gracious throughout, and later on the now-grown up teen recanted and apologized. Bernadin never did anything remotely wrong, and ultimately was cleared.

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    The statement also never uses the word sorry or apologize. He does use the words remorse and regret, though. It really reads like "Yep, did it. Didn't think it was a big deal at the time. I was wrong. Whoops."
    Exactly what I was trying to say above. Bernadin showed more concern for the suffering his accuser endured. It wasn't about him, it was about how the victim had been wronged, even if he himself didn't do it.

That's kind of what I meant by the "tell": is it about them? or is it about how someone else was harmed?

I really hate those statements that read like "I'm sorry I got caught."

What concerns me more is that real serious, severe cases of assault are being lumped together by the salacious media reporting with "he grabbed my azz once on set." the latter certainly is unacceptable, surely; some gradation of guilt might be in order? It's the serial rapists and repeat abusers really deserve the real serious consequences; not necessarily everyone who ever leered at a woman (or teen boy) when overserved 20 years ago.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 11-11-2017, 07:57 AM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      The pattern stuff is maddening. People have tried to tell the truth about Louis for years and were silenced. ...
      Gawker ran a story almost five years ago that told of a “critically cherished sitcom auteur” who jerked it in front of women.

Their sister site Jezebel followed up on it two year ago, after investigating it, and were critically slammed by site visitors for trying to drag Louis CK's reputation through the mud.

https://jezebel.com/on-rumors-1820301960
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        Gawker ran a story almost five years ago that told of a “critically cherished sitcom auteur” who jerked it in front of women.

Their sister site Jezebel followed up on it two year ago, after investigating it, and were critically slammed by site visitors for trying to drag Louis CK's reputation through the mud.

https://jezebel.com/on-rumors-1820301960
        The problem with Jezebel was they tried to make the leap to quickly and they dont have the respect and history in the mainstream to pull that off. When the Jen Kirkman story came out and all of a sudden that got linked to this (and they can play innocent all they want to they were trying to tie them together and werent even hiding it) they didnt really think there would be any backlash. They figured Kirkman would go "THANK GOD!!!" and give them the dirt. She didnt. People following the story though still linked them which got Kirkman seriously attacked.

The second that happened Jezebel should have been vocally saying (way more than they were or are even pretending they were) talking about how they arent linked. Even if they believe they are linked there is zero evidence they are and Kirkman is flat out denying it. They didnt play it that way though and never spoke out when other sites ran with the idea either which was tacitly agreeing. That got Jen even more hate as the story spread which is why she blasted them. (I remember reading a bunch about this back then...the whole thing from all sides was just so sloppy)

I dont have much respect for Jezebel anyways...they play lots of games with the truth in hopes of finding scandal.

(none of this in any way excuses what Louis did)
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          The problem with Jezebel was they tried to make the leap to quickly and they dont have the respect and history in the mainstream to pull that off. When the Jen Kirkman story came out and all of a sudden that got linked to this (and they can play innocent all they want to they were trying to tie them together and werent even hiding it) they didnt really think there would be any backlash. They figured Kirkman would go "THANK GOD!!!" and give them the dirt. She didnt. People following the story though still linked them which got Kirkman seriously attacked.

The second that happened Jezebel should have been vocally saying (way more than they were or are even pretending they were) talking about how they arent linked. Even if they believe they are linked there is zero evidence they are and Kirkman is flat out denying it. They didnt play it that way though and never spoke out when other sites ran with the idea either which was tacitly agreeing. That got Jen even more hate as the story spread which is why she blasted them. (I remember reading a bunch about this back then...the whole thing from all sides was just so sloppy)

I dont have much respect for Jezebel anyways...they play lots of games with the truth in hopes of finding scandal.

(none of this in any way excuses what Louis did)
          Gawker/Jezebel's issue is that they continually straddle(d) the line between journalism and gossip, which is why one of them doesn't exist anymore (well, that and a billionaire with a mission). If I remember right, they didn't even have confirmation it was Louis at the time, they just guessed. A pretty easy guess based on the info, but still a guess.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Et tu Sulu
            "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
            Groucho Marx
            "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
            Ron White
            "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
            Milo Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
              Nuke Hollywood.

We may need a separate thread for all of these allegations at the rate this is going...
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I’m a little skeptical on the Takei one...
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                  Nuke Hollywood.

We may need a separate thread for all of these allegations at the rate this is going...
                  Just created one.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    I’m a little skeptical on the Takei one...
                    I am, too. Maybe I just don't want to believe it of him; I don't know.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                      Where can I pick up suicide pills? Asking for a friend.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Apparently, Amazon has secured the rights to make a Lord of the Rings series.

15 years ago, this would have me excited.

After seeing what was done to the Hobbit (hint... bad things), I'm not only leery, but also suffer from fatigue on the subject matter.

GoT and others have proven that there are other compelling stories out there to tell. I get it's about making money and LOTR approaches Star Wars in terms of awareness, but I'd sure like to see a different story.

Of course I don't have to watch it, but I will I'm sure. At least for a bit.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/13/entert...zon/index.html

Comment

Since this takes place before Fellowship is this all new content? I dont remember there being much story there...
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            Since this takes place before Fellowship is this all new content? I dont remember there being much story there...

I mean... stuff happened and us nerds know of the timeline, but it wasn't fleshed out.

Which means they'll have to make it up including the dialogue which can leave us with a hot mess much like the Hobbit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              I mean... stuff happened and us nerds know of the timeline, but it wasn't fleshed out.

Which means they'll have to make it up including the dialogue which can leave us with a hot mess much like the Hobbit.
                              Even I was disappointed in the extra material they came up with for the Hobbit.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

The Tolkien universe is rich with history. Remember from the opening narration of the Fellowship movie that there are "two and half thousand years" between Isildur and Bilbo - and that's just the third age. There are so many stories they could do, ranging from the adventures of a young Aragorn to the downfall of Gondor after Isildur to an origin story of Elves or Dwarves or Orcs to the journeys of Gandalf or something entirely new within the framework of the Tolkien timeline. If they do it right (first trilogy) it will be a masterpiece. If not (second trilogy) it will be a trainwreck.

Comment

Working...
                                X