Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: TV: There She Is, The Old Radiation King

Re: TV: There She Is, The Old Radiation King

I don't think they're going to find treasure or anything like that, but there is something weird with the island, and what they find there. Something happened there, and it would be interesting just to figure out more about it.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Lucia Apologist

Hello Julia!

Chance S2 is on deck.

One thing I sort of miss in today's television shows compared to those from a few decades ago: a great opening sequence.*

Certainly I understand why they disappeared: no longer enough time for them. To insert more commercials, something else needed to be cut. (uncut shows from the late 60s/early 70s ran for about 52 minutes, I think; today's run for about 43).

The original Hawaii 50 had one of the greatest opening sequences ever; the music was so good it became a standalone top 40 hit, reaching #11 and gold status.
    Here's the opening sequence: https://youtu.be/AepyGm9Me6w
    Here's one of The Ventures live versions: https://youtu.be/7BUQ-wVXU8k
    and if you really like the music, here's the extended version: https://youtu.be/hwhvByj8YG8

Between visuals and music, I've seen lists where The A-Team opening was voted the best ever. https://youtu.be/_MVonyVSQoM though I wouldn't myself have placed it quite so high.

My favorite opening sequence was probably the original Mission Impossible, I especially liked the piece where there was a champagne toast and when the glasses clinked together it was immediately followed by an explosion. That opening sequence changed over the years, here is a montage of six of them back-to-back-to-back: https://youtu.be/AvBVGsd4Lzc

My favorite opening was the first season or two of the original MacGyver. The music theme was meh, but before they even started the opening sequence, MacGyver would be finishing up a mission somewhere; then the opening sequence would start after that action scene.

Even the half-hour comedies from that time period had extended openings, like The Bob Newhart Show with Bob taking the el home on an impossible route if you actually know the city's geography (he gets off the el in Ravenswood yet lives in a lakefront highrise??), or The Mary Tyler Moore Show with the iconic hat in the air ending.

* at least one exception: The Sopranos opening is quite cinematic as they lead us through many of the settings which recur throughout the series. I wonder if on subsequent releases they edited the opening from the first season, in which you'd see the Twin Towers in his sideview mirror.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 12-08-2017 at 01:53 PM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Speaking of the original Mission Impossible, there were maybe four major recurring themes that still seem current:
    - organized crime needs to be infiltrated and criminals brought to justice
    - Arab terrorism needs to be stopped
    - South American dictators need to be thwarted
    - Russian subterfuge needs to be countered

A fifth major theme, Communist eastern Europe, is dated at least.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Defacing this tagline is a MAX foul Twitch Boy's Avatar

Grand Tour season 2 is underway.

First episode is a doozy, particularly the ending.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: Drink It In, Maaaaaan.
    Twitter Goodness: Twitch_Boy

Finished Dark, as did my sister and two friends. All of us love it, even if weíre a little confused on a few things. Loved the time travel science mixed with the creepy woods vibe along with good casting and acting . I agree with reviews that itís like season one of twin peaks and really hope for a season 2.

Alien With an Attitude

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    One thing I sort of miss in today's television shows compared to those from a few decades ago: a great opening sequence.*

Certainly I understand why they disappeared: no longer enough time for them. To insert more commercials, something else needed to be cut. (uncut shows from the late 60s/early 70s ran for about 52 minutes, I think; today's run for about 43).

The original Hawaii 50 had one of the greatest opening sequences ever; the music was so good it became a standalone top 40 hit, reaching #11 and gold status.
    and if you really like the music, here's the extended version: https://youtu.be/hwhvByj8YG8

Between visuals and music, I've seen lists where The A-Team opening was voted the best ever. https://youtu.be/_MVonyVSQoM though I wouldn't myself have placed it quite so high.

My favorite opening sequence was probably the original Mission Impossible, I especially liked the piece where there was a champagne toast and when the glasses clinked together it was immediately followed by an explosion. That opening sequence changed over the years, here is a montage of six of them back-to-back-to-back: https://youtu.be/AvBVGsd4Lzc

My favorite opening was the first season or two of the original MacGyver. The music theme was meh, but before they even started the opening sequence, MacGyver would be finishing up a mission somewhere; then the opening sequence would start after that action scene.

Even the half-hour comedies from that time period had extended openings, like The Bob Newhart Show with Bob taking the el home on an impossible route if you actually know the city's geography (he gets off the el in Ravenswood yet lives in a lakefront highrise??), or The Mary Tyler Moore Show with the iconic hat in the air ending.

* at least one exception: The Sopranos opening is quite cinematic as they lead us through many of the settings which recur throughout the series. I wonder if on subsequent releases they edited the opening from the first season, in which you'd see the Twin Towers in his sideview mirror.
    The opening of The Avengers changed over the years, but was always good.
    https://youtu.be/3mLSIrxsHY0
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post

You need to watch more high quality TV. Most of the HBO series, and the high quality AMC, or FX series have intro music and sequences. Just to name a few: Game of Thrones, The Leftovers, The Americans, Westworld, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Wire.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Lucia Apologist

Sopranos, House, OITNB, House of Cards, True Detective

Itís hard to think of a show that doesnít have one.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    You need to watch more high quality TV. Most of the HBO series, and the high quality AMC, or FX series have intro music and sequences. Just to name a few: Game of Thrones, The Leftovers, The Americans, Westworld, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Wire.
    American Gods has the most exciting, most intelligent, most disturbing opening in television history. I'm not even the adolescent male the show is aimed at and I still want to run through a brick wall / reproduce / kill myself after watching it.

Here is the full explanation.
    Last edited by Kepler; 12-11-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    American Gods has the most exciting, most intelligent, most disturbing opening in television history. I'm not even the adolescent male the show is aimed at and I still want to run through a brick wall / kill myself after watching it.
    I've seen that, but only once, since I didn't get past episode 1. Watched 1 episode on a free trial, and then didn't sign up for Starz.

I would say that the best of the shows I watch is Westworld. That opening is just perfect for the show.

RIP - Kirby

I've seen that, but only once, since I didn't get past episode 1. Watched 1 episode on a free trial, and then didn't sign up for Starz.

I would say that the best of the shows I watch is Westworld. That opening is just perfect for the show.
    It is. Westworld is amazing in every way possible, and the opening is sublime.

If you enjoy Westworld I really, really, really encourage you to hang with American Gods. There is stuff about it not to like (like I said, the overheated immaturity surrounding it is off-putting) but (1) they have to pay the bills somehow and a show that is a gift to about 25,000 strange people in the whole country is going to need steerage bookings to break even, and (2) it's a well thought-out show with beautiful mise en scene. As with Gaiman himself half the fun is laughing not with but at his pretentiousness, but for all that it works -- plus he's f-cking Amanda Palmer and we're not so who are we to judge?

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

It is. Westworld is amazing in every way possible, and the opening is sublime.

If you enjoy Westworld I really, really, really encourage you to hang with American Gods. There is stuff about it not to like (like I said, the overheated immaturity surrounding it is off-putting) but (1) they have to pay the bills somehow and a show that is a gift to about 25,000 strange people in the whole country is going to need steerage bookings to break even, and (2) it's a well thought-out show with beautiful mise en scene. As with Gaiman himself half the fun is laughing not with but at his pretentiousness, but for all that it works -- plus he's f-cking Amanda Palmer and we're not so who are we to judge?
    I will watch American Gods, I'm just waiting for it to show up on Netflix or Prime, so I don't have to pay for Starz.

RIP - Kirby

I will watch American Gods, I'm just waiting for it to show up on Netflix or Prime, so I don't have to pay for Starz.
    We don't have Starz and we watch it somehow. Prolly Fios PPV. I'll ask Dr. Mrs., she's in charge of that.

Edit: we watch it through Amazon prime.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

We don't have Starz and we watch it somehow. Prolly Fios PPV. I'll ask Dr. Mrs., she's in charge of that.

Edit: we watch it through Amazon prime.
    We have Prime, but I think that was one that you had to pay for separately through Prime, not included in the regular Prime subscription. If I'm wrong about that, let me know, because I will be able to watch it if it is included in Prime.

I know it isn't that expensive to just pay for it, but I figure we spend enough on this stuff, and as long as there are still shows I want to watch, that I haven't gotten to on Netflix and Prime I'll just keep plugging away at them. I still haven't gotten to the latest seasons of Narcos or Stranger Things, and I didn't watch Mindhunter yet, so I have plenty of stuff on Netflix to watch. I also currently have a Showtime subscription, so I can catch up on shows I've missed there over the last several years. Just caught up on Ray Donovan over the weekend, and might do Homeland next, though I'm dreading Homeland, since the last season I watched was godawful.

RIP - Kirby

We have Prime, but I think that was one that you had to pay for separately through Prime, not included in the regular Prime subscription. If I'm wrong about that, let me know, because I will be able to watch it if it is included in Prime.
    Dr. Mrs. says it's free with Prime.

I didn't watch Mindhunter yet,
    Oh, ho, ho -- you are in for a treat. Also watch American Vandal if you haven't, on Netflix. It's f-cking brilliant.

We are in the golden age of television. This is the first time in history a massive number of shows have been created and released strictly for smart people. We no longer need to dumb it down to generate the mass audiences we used to. And we no longer have to be politically correct not to offend all the conservative religious / political snowflakes.

I wish we could somehow do the same with politics.
    Last edited by Kepler; 12-11-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Lucia Apologist

WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5e84eb02dce6

Big Little Lies dominates Globes nominations and more importantly it was announced today that it was renewed for a second season.

However, when it’s a critically acclaimed TV show that is also awards bait, there will always be a way. When the network saw the intense response to the first season, HBO asked Moriarty if she would write a new story that involved all the characters. She wound up delivering a “novella,” and David E. Kelley agreed to write another seven episodes. In an interview with Vulture, HBO programming president Casey Bloys swears that they only agreed to continue the show because the new material is on par with the first season.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Want to watch American Gods, first fiction book I had read in a LOOOOOOONNNNNNNNG time that I loved. Even liked. But will be patient and catch it on streaming at my convenience.

bbdl: I think you'll like Mindhunter. You loved S1 of True Detective....similar feel to it. Slow, methodical, dark, creepy, intelligent.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

He fixes the cable?

I figure most find The Punisher too slow, but I have stuck with it through episode 8 and I'm really digging it.

Thread Information