X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV: There She Is, The Old Radiation King

I went through the first few posts of the old thread:

dxmnkd316 02:56 PM 03-26-2017
    So Taken on NBC doesn't totally suck. Good enough to pull me in for at least another episode or two.

I didn't watch another second of it.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Re: TV: There She Is, The Old Radiation King

That's good, because it is network TV.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Re the old thread- Frasier was awesome

Comment

ticapnews -- I don't think that West Wing qualifies for Kepler's list because it was on before 2007.

I haven't watched Sports Night or Studio 6-.

I am also a fan of long epics. The short NCIS shows are nice for time killing, but when I watch them, I feel like I should be doing just about anything else.

Comment

I miss Southland. I thought that was a very good series.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
            Re the old thread- Frasier was awesome
            I remember this being billed as the "Funniest Five Minutes On TV, Don't Miss Out!" I didn't miss out, and I was in tears laughing while watching it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpImet3Xwgw
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I think it is so cute when TV snobs make fun of people who dont like TV they do. The last page of the last thread was all that and more. I dont think you guys realize how big of tools you sound like...

It is possible to be "smart" and not want to watch some of the over dramatized, over serialized stuff that is out there. (tonights episode, main character guy stands in a room staring for 12 minutes while everyone else runs around wondering what he is looking at! Female lead is angry people only look at her as a sex object, sleeps with 2 guys and stares at her navel for 12 minutes wondering why no respects her...and of course 12 people die in a shootout that makes zero sense and then the people that live stare at the sky for 12 minutes as music plays) It doesnt make you "dumb" just because you might watch something that is on network tv or that "smart" people circle jerk over every week. Not every show has to be "THE MOST EPIC STORY IN THE HISTORY OF STORIES!" sometimes it is good to watch tv that is enjoyable and fills and hour and it has no real impact. (of all people you should get that Kepler unless somehow The Bachelor became a genius show)

Attitudes like the ones you guys have is what has ruined movies. I hate to tell you all this but you arent as "smart" as you all think you are. And your taste doesnt make you any better than people who watch the shows you loathe. Sometimes those slow shows with the overaching story that takes 30 episodes to complete are completely boring. (and usually the story could be covered in 20 episodes) Sometimes they fall off the cliff and never recover. (Boardwalk Empire anyone)

Personally, I refer a steady diet of shows I can watch and have fun with (usually what you all would consider "lesser fare" ) with my super serious dramas. It is like a meal you dont have 5 steaks for dinner and nothing else. You need to have a baked potato, maybe some corn on the cob and a salad, along with a big ole glass of whiskey!

tl;dr: You guys arent the tastemasters you think you are and you arent super smart because you watch a bunch of shows that others dont. Not everything you despise is as horrible as you think it is.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

As an admitted fan of crap shows (back in the day) like Three's Company and Dukes Of Hazzard, today's compartmentalized shows just don't cut it for me anymore, for the most part. I want shows and movies to challenge me. I think the last show I tried to enjoy that fit the former category was How I Met Your Mother, and I gave up after 3-4 seasons. It was the same old crap over and over.

Before that, it was Friends.

Both shows started strong, then just became parodies of themselves. Yes, other long series have gone over the cliff, because they held on too long, and I think those shows started learning to stop before it got stale (Mad Men, Breaking Bad). Sons Of Anarchy really toyed with that line (I think it went over the cliff, since the ending was so predictable, but it did tell the story well).

A prime example is the Kevin James sitcoms. Ha ha fat joke, hot wife/oaf husband, cheesy jokes and canned cliches. Not even funny to me.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Hey I dont watch much sitcoms either (there are a few I enjoy) but it doesnt make me better just because a lot of other people do and I dont. That is what you all sound like when you have these little "pat me on the back for my taste in tv" sessions. Guess what plenty of the navel gazing shows are just as formulaic as the lame network tv stuff people just ignore it because ZOMG THE SMARTNESS!!!!!

The only thing better than mocking the snobs is when one of the snobs gets caught watching bad tv and they then have to try and prove it is actually smarter than everyone thinks...or pretend they are watching it ironically. That always makes me smile
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

The only thing better than mocking the snobs is when one of the snobs gets caught watching bad tv and they then have to try and prove it is actually smarter than everyone thinks...or pretend they are watching it ironically. That always makes me smile
                    This I can appreciate. If I like a crappy show, I'll own up to it.

Comment

Really disappointed Gotham is losing traction apparently with the time move and dwindling numbers.

Season 4 premiere was awesome. Loved it.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Completely agree. **** an hour. Episodic dramas are so boring. Serial is the only way to go.
                        If you read my post, my point was that the best TV can be both. Look at the best episodes of Mad Men and where they ran in a season. Signal 30(5th), The Suitcase(7th), Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency(6th), etc. Now name a good episode of Game of Thrones that wasn't one of the last two episodes of the season where they max out the budget with big explosions and fancy CGI. If you do pick one, I guarantee it revolves around some big plot revelation that pushes the greater story forward rather than the actual narrative in the episode itself.

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Not every show has to be "THE MOST EPIC STORY IN THE HISTORY OF STORIES!" sometimes it is good to watch tv that is enjoyable and fills and hour and it has no real impact.
                        Sure, but there's a difference. I've eaten many meals at Wendy's that I would describe as personally satisfying, but none that I would consider gourmet cuisine.
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          I miss Southland. I thought that was a very good series.
                          Yeah it was very solid. Michael Cudlitz was awesome. Both NBC and TNT never advertised it though. Seriously, the only commercials I ever remember for it were during its own breaks. It's almost like they wanted it just to fill time.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Seems appropriate for this discussion: http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the...ows-1818669264

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

All glory to the Hypnotoad!
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                              X