X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrimack College 2017-2018

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    Ouch.
    Maine, for many, many years, was a national powerhouse and was referred to as one of the 'Big Four' in Hockey East. Their return to that prestigious position would be one of the best things to happen to the Hockey East Association and NCAA Division 1 Men's Ice Hockey. Fans from the State of Maine, some of the nicest folks and knowledgable hockey fans you could ever meet, fill arenas all over the country when their team is involved in post season play. We need fan bases like theirs back in the national scene.

Not to take away from your desire for a better program at Merrimack, as I have a soft spot in my heart for the Mack as well. I have a daughter who was a student/athlete at Merrimack and graduated from your fine institution some years back. She loved her 4 years in North Andover, as did I. Fact of the matter is though, even a Jerry York would most likely struggle to win at the Mack. Take a look around and look at the facilities and resources that your coach is up against in the recruiting battles to field a team. In this outsiders opinion, I am very impressed with his team's compete level and their ability to beat any team in the nation on any given night. Merrimack pretty much brings it every night and is a very tough out for any program. That's coaching.

Won't be surprised if he is one of the front runners in the Boston College job when Jerry retires. Merrimack is the David competing against many Goliaths. What Dennehy accomplish's with little to work with does not go unnoticed. Be careful what you wish for folks.
    They just invested in new facilities. we are told that their locker room is one of the best in the league, if not the country. millions of spent there. Merrimack spends a ton on the program investing in a new practice rink, new arena lobby, it's now legit. We do not have the resources of say a BC or a BU, but we are not the little sisters of the poor either. No offense but I see your argument as excuse making. Union does not have resources and they won a national title. So many small schools getting it done and we are not. To say "well we can compete!" is not good enough. Im sorry but if you're happy just competing and not winning, that is a loser mentality. MC Alumni brought up the culture......
    Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by MCWarrior1011 View Post
      They just invested in new facilities. we are told that their locker room is one of the best in the league, if not the country. millions of spent there. Merrimack spends a ton on the program investing in a new practice rink, new arena lobby, it's now legit. We do not have the resources of say a BC or a BU, but we are not the little sisters of the poor either. No offense but I see your argument as excuse making. Union does not have resources and they won a national title. So many small schools getting it done and we are not. To say "well we can compete!" is not good enough. Im sorry but if you're happy just competing and not winning, that is a loser mentality. MC Alumni brought up the culture......
      Agree with Maine comments - would be good to see them successful again.

100% agree with MCWarrior1011 - our facilities are no joke - those are no longer an excuse. I'm not sure I'd like to see Dennehy go.. yes he was offered an extension. I agree he's done well to make us relevant. But facts are facts-and fact is we've had 2 winning seasons in 12 years. who cares if you can beat any team on any night if you never end the season with a winning record and never make it past the quarterfinals. Over a 12 year period, I'd say most coaches could put together 2 winning seasons at MC..
      Again, not trying to hate on Dennehy.. I respect the hell out of him and appreciate his contributions to the school. But how many more losing seasons until we switch focus?

Comment

Originally posted by MC Alumni View Post
        losing culture....Something I think everyone at MC is afraid to address.

We've had TWO winning seasons in TWELVE YEARS! Admittedly, its a tough job for Dennehy.. I like him and I think he's done so much for the school, not measurable on the ice.. but how long can we stick with this recipe? Once the D1 announcement is made for all sports, and hockey continues to be terrible year after year.. I'm concerned about what will happen to the program. How the hell do does the staff/athletic department turn this culture around?

The most frustrating part is that almost every other sport on campus HAS a winning culture (except for maybe football). And they're working with even less.. hell, baseball, tennis, Track&Field don't even have facilities on campus..and they're all regional powers. Granted, division2..I get it..hockey east competitiion... I get it... but I'm sick of the excuses.

Hate to even bring it up, because this is such an exciting time for the school and athletic department.

frustrated but proud alum
        Merrimack is in the wrong hockey league, you should be in the league that has Holy Cross in it. If you are looking for what Mack should be, that's where it is in my opinion. The coach is great and he took you to your ceiling, going to HE tourney final, it's just too tall a task to expect that even every 20 years or so in HE

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
          Merrimack is in the wrong hockey league, you should be in the league that has Holy Cross in it. If you are looking for what Mack should be, that's where it is in my opinion. The coach is great and he took you to your ceiling, going to HE tourney final, it's just too tall a task to expect that even every 20 years or so in HE
          That's the answer. Change leagues

Why? Mack spends the money. Look around the place. 20 years ago maybe I would agree but not now. Just the same tired argument from fans of other teams. Let me guess, you are a BC or BU fan right? Fans of those teams seem to always be the elitist a-holes who can't get over being in the same league as tiny Merrimack. It's really old. Come up with something new.
          Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Why? Mack spends the money. Look around the place. 20 years ago maybe I would agree but not now. Just the same tired argument from fans of other teams. Let me guess, you are a BC or BU fan right? Fans of those teams seem to always be the elitist a-holes who can't get over being in the same league as tiny Merrimack. It's really old. Come up with something new.
            I think sterilippo1 is just trolling you. He and FiveHole12 can relate as BC is the Merrimack of the ACC

I agree with you. Merrimack seems committed to athletics and Dennehy isn't moving the needle. I don't get the "be careful what you wish for" sentiment. Honestly how much worse could it get for Merrimack? You've already had over a decade to see the ceiling under Dennehy, and if the next guy is worse, then you move on, and hopefully quickly (I'm looking at you Maine). The upside is next guy is a Nate Leaman, Norm Bazin or Rand Pecknold.

Jerry York would also win at Merrimack in my opinion. A different era I know, but he won at Bowling Green didn't he?
            Last edited by Middle Street; 11-21-2017, 09:42 PM.

Comment

It feels like forever since I posted here so I am going to comment on everything I have read.

1. I hope that the NEC rumors are true. I have looked at the profiles of the other schools and Merrimack would be a great fit.

2. This year's team has not met fans expectations because of the experience on the team. This team has numerous upperclassmen who people had higher expectations from. Unfortunately for many of you this has been frustrating.

3. When it comes to the coaching situation I can see both sides of the spectrum. Merrimack has great facilities and a nice small campus, but is not for everyone. Merrimack will continue to lose the biggest recruits to the BUs and BCs of the world and many times that is the difference in the goal scoring woes that is talked about frequently on this thread. However, the real gripe can be only making the garden once in the last 12 years. To not make your conference semi-final 11 out of 12 years is tough. With his contract extension I do not see the coach going anywhere for the time being, but I will not be surprised if this is his last extension.

4. To me there are three loses that really hurt the program in making the jump nationally.
              #3 - Loss to BC in HEA Final - A Hockey East Championship banner would have been a huge recruiting tool
              #2 - Loss to Maine in 2012 HEA Quarterfinals - If Merrimack wins this game the are in the hockey east semis for a second year and probably make the NCAA tourney two years in a row
              #1 - Northeast Regional Semi 2011 - Beat Notre Dame in overtime and Merrimack plays a UNH team that they had beaten the week before.

At the end of the day I still enjoy going to games. This team has connected me back to the school. My wife works there and we are constantly at events both sports and non-sports related. Going to these games has been great as we have traveled to numerous place throughout the northeast and the country. With two young kids this has been great entertainment on the cold winter Friday and Saturday nights that nothing has been going on. I hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving and Go Warriors.
              Rinks Visited
              DCU Center
              Tulley Forum
              TD Garden
              Tsongas Arena
              J. Thom Lawler Arena
              Conte Forum
              Whittemore Center
              Agganis Arena
              Verizon Center
              Gutterson Fieldhouse
              Matthews Arena
              Thompson Arena
              Mullins Center
              Alfond Arena
              Schneider Arena
              Magness Arena
              Ingallas Arena
              Hart Center
              Prudential Center
              TD Bank Sports Center
              John A Ryan
              Lynah Rink
              Appleton Arena
              Cheel Arena
              Germain Arena
              XL Center
              Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

Originally posted by middle street View Post
                i think sterilippo1 is just trolling you. He and fivehole12 can relate as bc is the merrimack of the acc
                lol!!!
                Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

why the rolling eyes dude? Its the **** truth and answer and y'all know it. I'm a BC alum but surely not an elitist A-hole, Sir. I've followed your team for along time and root for it but yes, you should not be in HE.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                    I think sterilippo1 is just trolling you. He and FiveHole12 can relate as BC is the Merrimack of the ACC

Jerry York would also win at Merrimack in my opinion. A different era I know, but he won at Bowling Green didn't he?
                    well done! I'm not trolling though, i believe what i wrote. Yes, Jerry won a title at BG. Listen, I didnt come on here to **** anyone off so if i did, it wasnt the intention. I've posted here many times so those of you that post somewhat frequently, know that..........AND you guys know i like the school very much. So, sorry for getting a few of you up and arms..... enjoy Thanksgiving and GoMack.

Comment

well done! I'm not trolling though, i believe what i wrote. Yes, Jerry won a title at BG. Listen, I didnt come on here to **** anyone off so if i did, it wasnt the intention. I've posted here many times so those of you that post somewhat frequently, know that..........AND you guys know i like the school very much. So, sorry for getting a few of you up and arms..... enjoy Thanksgiving and GoMack.
                      My mistake. Based on your previous posts, I was surprised to see you say Merrimack does not belong in HE, and that's why I thought you were being facetious. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

I am at a loss for words. God bless you all.
                        Happy Thanksgiving.
                        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

I'm going to give the newbie posters a "mulligan" on inferring that you were trolling or could in any way shape or form be considered an elitist a-hole...they know not about whom they post!.
                          Let's be rational vs. emotional here; why is it so ludicrous to think that the Atlantic Hockey is NOT a more appropriate league? Size of the schools is much more aligned, some outstanding academic institutions (West Point anyone? Air Force Academy? Holy Cross, RIT, Bentley). Bentley investing huge $$$'s in an on-campus arena. Sure, Atlantic Hockey does not have the cachet of Hockey East, but wouldn't it be refreshing to think we might finish at least in the upper half of the standings on occasion? Of knowing that we were not almost ALWAYS going to be the underdog? And please, don't "well what about UMASS?" me. I really don't give an f about UMass. I'm talking about MY Alma mater.
                          So give me a better argument than "Well, they're already in Hockey East, why should they go backwards". If you're happy with annual 7th to 11th place finishes, with a once in a 2 decades rise all the way to 4th (MC's highest finish EVER in HE), that's okay. But maybe something different would work.
                          Last edited by RENCEB; 11-25-2017, 11:53 AM.
                          Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                            I'm going to give the newbie posters a "mulligan" on inferring that you were trolling or could in any way shape or form be considered an elitist a-hole...they know not about whom they post!.
                            Let's be rational vs. emotional here; why is it so ludicrous to think that the Atlantic Hockey is NOT a more appropriate league? Size of the schools is much more aligned, some outstanding academic institutions (West Point anyone? Air Force Academy? Holy Cross, RIT, Bentley). Bentley investing huge $$$'s in an on-campus arena. Sure, Atlantic Hockey does not have the cachet of Hockey East, but wouldn't it be refreshing to think we might finish at least in the upper half of the standings on occasion? Of knowing that we were not almost ALWAYS going to be the underdog? And please, don't "well what about UMASS?" me. I really don't give an f about UMass. I'm talking about MY Alma mater.
                            So give me a better argument than "Well, they're already in Hockey East, why should they go backwards". If you're happy with annual 7th to 11th place finishes, with a once in a 2 decades rise all the way to 4th (MC's highest finish EVER in HE), that's okay. But maybe something different would work.
                            Our inclusion in HE is really an "all or nothing" approach. We hit with recruits for a couple seasons and our HE inclusion could very well help us reach the NCAA tournament..But for the exception of 2 seasons, from season to season we're largely irrelevent. Now, not only are we losing to everybody in HE, but in the past few seasons we've taken it on the chin from those we "should" be beating. So, in summation, to me its not a HE issue..Hell, we swept BU last season... its just a "not good enough in general", issue. Put us in Atlantic Hockey, in a couple years we lose any recruiting edge we had over them as a HE school and will probably be mediocore there as well. As previously mentioned, we need a culture change..nothing more. In fact, I think anything else (changing conference) would hurt us big time.

Comment

Originally posted by MC Alumni View Post
                              Our inclusion in HE is really an "all or nothing" approach. We hit with recruits for a couple seasons and our HE inclusion could very well help us reach the NCAA tournament..But for the exception of 2 seasons, from season to season we're largely irrelevent. Now, not only are we losing to everybody in HE, but in the past few seasons we've taken it on the chin from those we "should" be beating. So, in summation, to me its not a HE issue..Hell, we swept BU last season... its just a "not good enough in general", issue. Put us in Atlantic Hockey, in a couple years we lose any recruiting edge we had over them as a HE school and will probably be mediocore there as well. As previously mentioned, we need a culture change..nothing more. In fact, I think anything else (changing conference) would hurt us big time.
                              Agree

At the same time we are hearing about the college going d1 in all other sports. The campus is booming. buildings are exploding out of the ground and enrollment is growing rapidly. everything is moving forward and hockey should take a step backwards? Loser mentality. You want to compete with the best. From what I am told we are spending a ton of money in hockey. The same as most of our other HE counterparts, so our resources recruiting budget, etc is not a problem. If I am wrong I apologize, but I know people who would know, and they tell me that the school spends a ton on hockey. Look at the locker room as a prime example. They have what they need and results are not there. Going backwards in hockey while everything else is taking giant leaps forward is a huge mistake. HUGE.
                              Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Eh, Hockey East sucks now anyway. Bertagna could trade us and a team to be named later to the ECAC for Quinnipiac. We'd have the Harvard game for a local rivalry and no Benedetto/Gravalese. Might not be so bad.

(I'd better specify that this is sarcasm)

Comment

Working...
                                X