Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrimack College 2017-2018

Originally posted by Leather Lungs View Post
    Aren't you guys ever tempted to drop to the Atlantic Conference? Y'know, have an honest shot at an autobid every couple of years. Would recruiting really fall off that much? Are you on NESN all that often?
    Go back to 2001 with this garbage question.
    Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

BC will be out of the ACC before we are out of Hockey East

Comment

Aren't you guys ever tempted to drop to the Atlantic Conference? Y'know, have an honest shot at an autobid every couple of years. Would recruiting really fall off that much? Are you on NESN all that often?
        Probably not an unfair question to be honest. But the answer is most definitely NO. The schools aspirations are huge - they've pretty much rebuilt the entire campus (looks amazing btw) and are driving hard towards making MC a nationally recognized school; and athletics is really the center of that. President Hopey is asbolutely crazy about the sports programs, and have invested millions upon millions of dollars over the last few years. Hockey being the shining light on the hill.. playing the big boys, selling out games, being on TV.. even though we aren't good, for some reason there's an aura around the program - a weird reputation that depicts hockey as some great prestigious program.. when in reality, outside of campus, its not.
        But its a microcosm of the mentality of MC. Frankly, that mentality has been really successful in D2 athletics (we're probably at the stage in all other sports where we should be moving up to D1).. but that hasn't translated to hockey. I'm not sure we'll ever really grow as a hockey program until the school grows substantially. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if football overtakes hockey at MC when they move D1.
        Last edited by MC Alumni; 11-06-2017, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MCWarrior1011 View Post
          Go back to 2001 with this garbage question.
          So you are tempted then.

Comment

So you are tempted then.
            It's idiotic. Who in college hockey is moving down? Seriously Merrimack has not been nearly as bad as Umass over the last few years, but Merrimack should leave the league? Please......
            Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by MC Alumni View Post
              Probably not an unfair question to be honest. But the answer is most definitely NO. The schools aspirations are huge - they've pretty much rebuilt the entire campus (looks amazing btw) and are driving hard towards making MC a nationally recognized school; and athletics is really the center of that. President Hopey is asbolutely crazy about the sports programs, and have invested millions upon millions of dollars over the last few years. Hockey being the shining light on the hill.. playing the big boys, selling out games, being on TV.. even though we aren't good, for some reason there's an aura around the program - a weird reputation that depicts hockey as some great prestigious program.. when in reality, outside of campus, its not.
              But its a microcosm of the mentality of MC. Frankly, that mentality has been really successful in D2 athletics (we're probably at the stage in all other sports where we should be moving up to D1).. but that hasn't translated to hockey. I'm not sure we'll ever really grow as a hockey program until the school grows substantially. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if football overtakes hockey at MC when they move D1.
              I dunno, FB/BB haven't really overtaken hockey at places like UNH, Maine and Lowell. I could see basketball potentially flourishing. Much cheaper to run a bball program than football (scholarships, title 9 etc)

It's idiotic. Who in college hockey is moving down? Seriously Merrimack has not been nearly as bad as Umass over the last few years, but Merrimack should leave the league? Please......
              Don't forget Maine

Comment

I'm not actually arguing that this is something Merrimack should do. I just wonder sometimes. However, UMass is UMass. Someday they will get their crap together (if it isn't happening already) and budget and name recognition will not be an issue for them. It's a great campus. Great area. Hell, their band is the best in Hockey East. UMass is a natural fit for the HEA that no member AD wants to see leave.

Comment

[QUOTE=Yuppie Scum;6550887]I dunno, FB/BB haven't really overtaken hockey at places like UNH, Maine and Lowell. I could see basketball potentially flourishing. Much cheaper to run a bball program than football (scholarships, title 9 etc)

That's true - I'm basing that off of what I've seen when we play D1 schools in football; the support is usually pretty good. New stadium, new to D1 excitement; will definitely bring some good crowds.. how it will translate years down the road.. idk. But I know Hopey REALLY wants to see Football on the big stage.
                  Basketball needs a new arena - I don't thnk they'd compete with the hockey crowd.. mainly because hockey east is a bigger draw than NEC or whatever we join.

Anyone thinking we should drop from hockey east...shaking my head at you. We've done more with our limited resources than most schools with infinitely more than us. Our program actually MAKES money. We also don't play in empty arenas like some other places. Overall great for the school, great for the community.

Comment

I think they'd probably put a floor down in the Lawler for the bigger b-ball games, at least to start. Would probably be more than adequate unless the program really catches fire. There are perennial tournament teams who have crappier gyms than the Lawler I'm pretty sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                      I think they'd probably put a floor down in the Lawler for the bigger b-ball games, at least to start. Would probably be more than adequate unless the program really catches fire. There are perennial tournament teams who have crappier gyms than the Lawler I'm pretty sure.
                      I think they would just to a renovation to the gym. Look around the NEC and Merrimack has a similar gym to most NEC schools literally right now. New seats, new floor maybe some seating behind a net for students like Lawler and you are golden. 800-1000 seats maximum
                      Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

We won!!!!!
                        Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

nice little rivalry with bentley - wish we played them more.... mainly because they stink.

Comment

Merrimack College 2017-2018

I'm definitely going to check out their new rink. I'm biased because it'll be ten minute from my house.

Speaking of bias, this is probably the time of weekend that Eastern Bias starts looking at USCHO, anything of tremendous importance I can talk about for you guys to retweet?
                            Last edited by Yuppie Scum; 11-11-2017, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                              I'm definitely going to check out their new rink. I'm biased because it'll be ten minute from my house.

Speaking of bias, this is probably the time of weekend that Eastern Bias starts looking at USCHO, anything of tremendous importance I can talk about for you guys to retweet?
                              Presumably the Warriors will visit Bentley's new rink in 2019-2020. Maybe the rink will have a name by then, if some alum steps up with a $10mil donation?

Comment

Merrimack Season Ticket holder here. Here is my take on Merrimack's struggles with scoring. I have noticed that the team has a very hard time with no look passes. We would have some great scoring opportunities if those passes were connecting. It also seems the team lacks anticipation for where the puck will go next. Kind of falls into the no look passes. The players seem to be very weak on thinking ahead and visualizing where the puck will go. If we can solve this, I think this team could compete with anyone.

Really hate the new security measures. So I can understand the measures entering the building, but it is crazy that you have to go through it again if you want to go to the bookstore.
                                Also another pet peeve, does the music really need to be that loud during warm ups? LOL

On another note, I have heard from a creditable source that Merrimack will be announcing the move to Division 1 in all sports. The Northeast Conference (NEC) has accepted Merrimack's application. Has anyone else heard about this?

Comment

Working...
                                X