Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Merrimack College 2017-2018

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    That was overblown. Borek is very good at evaluating and his skill became evident at UNH after he left. A lot of the decline was due to Uthe a former coach not helping at all. Yes, he made some mistakes in deferring kids but overall he is competent and maybe a good fit with a program that needs volume of competent players more than high end kids.
    that worked so well at lake state
    Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by MCWarrior1011 View Post
      I was talking to my son's coach (not the Islanders, he plays for the Jr. Warriors) last night who said Borek and Gallant are tight. Should be no surprise there! Gibson (the AD) is a pathetic pawn for Gallant. My son's coach also does skills for a lot of NCAA players in the summer and told me all those guys were laughing about this. So I know I said this already, but for a guy who was saying they should fire Dennehy, I take it all back. If this is what they fired him for??? Probably not going to renew my tickets. Know others who won't either. Why waste $ watching a team win 5 games.

My son's coach told me last night that UMASS hired John Michelletto over Borek LOL. This is going to end worse for merrimack than Michelletto did for UMASS. Great job Merrimack
      Your son's coach told you?? Scott Borek would be a great choice IMO! Perhaps it would be better to talk to some of the players he has recruited and coached over the years rather then some minor hockey coach?

Comment

Originally posted by Bradz View Post
        Your son's coach told you?? Scott Borek would be a great choice IMO! Perhaps it would be better to talk to some of the players he has recruited and coached over the years rather then some minor hockey coach?
        he works with NCAA players all summer, he knows all of these guys. He was on an NCAA staff before. Shut up
        Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

I know who he is...and I'll only "Shut up" when ordered to by my spouse.

Comment

I know who he is...and I'll only "Shut up" when ordered to by my spouse.
            can't argue with you on the last part LOL same here
            Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

that worked so well at lake state
              He literally took over a dynasty at Lake State and pretty much buried it into the ground after taking over from Jeff Jackson. The program hasn't recovered since. Colored me stunned that this is the hire for Merrimack.
              QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
              2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
              2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
              2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
              https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
              https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
              https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                He literally took over a dynasty at Lake State and pretty much buried it into the ground after taking over from Jeff Jackson. The program hasn't recovered since. Colored me stunned that this is the hire for Merrimack.
                Yesterday was the day the program died. All you idiots wishing we would go to the atlantic league or drop hockey altogether, we are one step closer to that.
                Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

50 applicants and this is the best they can come up with?
                  UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                    50 applicants and this is the best they can come up with?
                    Either those reports of 50 applicants was a lie and a line they fed the media to make it seem like it was an attractive job or the people in charge of making the decision on the hire are complete and total idiots who have no idea about college hockey and don't realize what a dumb mistake this is. Can not wait for Merrimack to gave their first recruiting scandal. Only a matter of time.
                    Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      That was overblown. Borek is very good at evaluating and his skill became evident at UNH after he left. A lot of the decline was due to the former coach not helping at all. His reputation aged well once he left and you saw how much heavy lifting he was doing at UNH and the drop off in recruiting once he left. Yes, he made some mistakes in deferring kids but overall he is competent and maybe a good fit with a program that needs volume of competent players more than high end kids.

Lower ceiling higher floor type of hire

Borek is well liked and respected throughout the hockey community, and yes his eye is way above average. Beyond that he relates well with players and parents which is extremely important from a recruiting standpoint. He left UNH because the handwriting was on the wall as far as who was going to replace Umile and some promises weren't kept. Yes it is a good idea to look at what happened at UNH once he left, and how quickly PC grabbed him as well as how he helped to improve PC. It will be interesting to see what he does as far as staff is concerned and whether he makes changes. I suppose if he does make changes there will be a lot of *****ing about that as well, but it is all apart of what a HC has to put up with these days.

Comment

Borek is well liked and respected throughout the hockey community, and yes his eye is way above average. Beyond that he relates well with players and parents which is extremely important from a recruiting standpoint. He left UNH because the handwriting was on the wall as far as who was going to replace Umile and some promises weren't kept. Yes it is a good idea to look at what happened at UNH once he left, and how quickly PC grabbed him as well as how he helped to improve PC. It will be interesting to see what he does as far as staff is concerned and whether he makes changes. I suppose if he does make changes there will be a lot of *****ing about that as well, but it is all apart of what a HC has to put up with these days.
                        Helped improve PC? He got there the year after they won a national title. How much improving needed to be done? And if he was so great at UNH why was there writing on the wall that he wasn't going to be a head coach? If he was so great at UNH why did they have to get Mike Souza?
                        Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

The year he was named head coach, LSSU was coming off its 9th straight NCAA Tourney appearance and a CCHA regular season title. When he was shown the door five years later, the team couldn't even qualify for the conference tournament, finishing dead last.

Bonus - his teams were 0-8 in conference tourney games.
                          Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
                            The year he was named head coach, LSSU was coming off its 9th straight NCAA Tourney appearance and a CCHA regular season title. When he was shown the door five years later, the team couldn't even qualify for the conference tournament, finishing dead last.

Bonus - his teams were 0-8 in conference tourney games.
                            great
                            Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Helped improve PC? He got there the year after they won a national title. How much improving needed to be done? And if he was so great at UNH why was there writing on the wall that he wasn't going to be a head coach? If he was so great at UNH why did they have to get Mike Souza?
                              I had a brief conversation with my spouse, who suggested that arguing with people who have never had any experience in coaching at high levels of hockey serves no real purpose, once again she is right, however she did not order me to "Shut up", which was nice for a change! Obviously you don't like the idea of Borek being hired...which is fine. As for me I think of the candidates who applied he is a good choice and it will be interesting to see what the details of the contract are.

Comment

According to Mike McMahon, they had Paul Pearl, Jerry Keefe and Borek in for interviews this week. I'd have been elated with Pearl, I thought Keefe would have been a great choice, but Borek is meh. Not exactly a way to rally your fan base (well, at least the handful of us who post here). Retread city.
                                Why can't we have nice things?
                                Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
                                X