Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrimack College 2017-2018

Originally posted by Dirt View Post
    Merrimack Season Ticket holder here. Here is my take on Merrimack's struggles with scoring. I have noticed that the team has a very hard time with no look passes. We would have some great scoring opportunities if those passes were connecting. It also seems the team lacks anticipation for where the puck will go next. Kind of falls into the no look passes. The players seem to be very weak on thinking ahead and visualizing where the puck will go. If we can solve this, I think this team could compete with anyone.

Really hate the new security measures. So I can understand the measures entering the building, but it is crazy that you have to go through it again if you want to go to the bookstore.
    Also another pet peeve, does the music really need to be that loud during warm ups? LOL

On another note, I have heard from a creditable source that Merrimack will be announcing the move to Division 1 in all sports. The Northeast Conference (NEC) has accepted Merrimack's application. Has anyone else heard about this?
    The music playlist could probably use some updating as well. At least we have a legitimate band now!

Great news on the D1 announcement, if that is true. It seemed like it was just a matter of time and the football stadium probably put them over the top.

Comment

Good to beat Bentley. That's a team they should beat, and they did. Nice job going 3-5 on the powerplay. Tough couple of weekends coming up with PC and NU.
      Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt View Post

On another note, I have heard from a creditable source that Merrimack will be announcing the move to Division 1 in all sports. The Northeast Conference (NEC) has accepted Merrimack's application. Has anyone else heard about this?
        I have also heard this - Rumor has been bouncing around the athlete alumni circles since..maybe August or September? But there have been many rumors over the years, so will have to wait until I see it. hopefully not just rumors this time.

Comment

Originally posted by MC Alumni View Post
          I have also heard this - Rumor has been bouncing around the athlete alumni circles since..maybe August or September? But there have been many rumors over the years, so will have to wait until I see it. hopefully not just rumors this time.
          McMann wrote on his VIP blog the other day that it is closer than ever before. So I think it is closer also. He seems to be plugged in....he typed "I think it’s happening and my gut instinct is that it’s much closer now than it was a year ago."

This is also a HUGE weekend for me personally. My brother went to Providence so huge bragging rights at stake for Thanksgiving dinner. GO MACK!!!!!
          Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by MCWarrior1011 View Post
            McMann wrote on his VIP blog the other day that it is closer than ever before. So I think it is closer also. He seems to be plugged in....he typed "I think it’s happening and my gut instinct is that it’s much closer now than it was a year ago."
            heard an announcement will be made after new year. 2019/2020 to begin NEC play in all sports.

Sidenote - will we get a point this weekend?

Comment

What an embarrassment. Can't close out a game where you chased their goalie and had a 5-1 lead. Undisciplined penalties, poor defense. Really a very disappointing loss ( make no mistake, that may be tie in the standings but it was a loss on the ice).
              Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                What an embarrassment. Can't close out a game where you chased their goalie and had a 5-1 lead. Undisciplined penalties, poor defense. Really a very disappointing loss ( make no mistake, that may be tie in the standings but it was a loss on the ice).
                What an epic choke. Winning cultures find a way to win when they should lose. Losing cultures find a way to lose when they should win.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                  What an epic choke. Winning cultures find a way to win when they should lose. Losing cultures find a way to lose when they should win.
                  losing culture....Something I think everyone at MC is afraid to address.

We've had TWO winning seasons in TWELVE YEARS! Admittedly, its a tough job for Dennehy.. I like him and I think he's done so much for the school, not measurable on the ice.. but how long can we stick with this recipe? Once the D1 announcement is made for all sports, and hockey continues to be terrible year after year.. I'm concerned about what will happen to the program. How the hell do does the staff/athletic department turn this culture around?

The most frustrating part is that almost every other sport on campus HAS a winning culture (except for maybe football). And they're working with even less.. hell, baseball, tennis, Track&Field don't even have facilities on campus..and they're all regional powers. Granted, division2..I get it..hockey east competitiion... I get it... but I'm sick of the excuses.

Hate to even bring it up, because this is such an exciting time for the school and athletic department.

frustrated but proud alum
                  Last edited by MC Alumni; 11-19-2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

seems like we have heard about not getting bounces for 4 years. It is just not fun to go to these games anymore. I am sick of going, losing and then hearing about how hard we worked and how we were so close but just arent getting bounces. Screw that!!!!!! blow it up.
                    Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

I think it's an annual tradition for us to get frustrated this time of year. Hopefully they can turn things around in the new year. But yeah.. the song remains the same

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                        I think it's an annual tradition for us to get frustrated this time of year. Hopefully they can turn things around in the new year. But yeah.. the song remains the same
                        Last year we turned it around after new year - had one of the best run's we've ever had.. and still came in 8th and lost the opening round of the playoffs! Like MCWArrior1011 said, every year we hear the same thing - we work hard, just not getting the bounces. after 10 losing seasons in 12 years maybe those unlucky bounces aren't that unlucky.. just that we aren't good.

I will never criticize collegiate players; I love their effort because we do in fact work extremely hard. And while we might not have a winning culture, we certainly have a hard working culture. I love that about MC.

but with the amount of money Dennehy makes..his criticism is fair - "blowing it up" is a legitimate argument.

Comment

Last year we turned it around after new year - had one of the best run's we've ever had.. and still came in 8th and lost the opening round of the playoffs! Like MCWArrior1011 said, every year we hear the same thing - we work hard, just not getting the bounces. after 10 losing seasons in 12 years maybe those unlucky bounces aren't that unlucky.. just that we aren't good.

I will never criticize collegiate players; I love their effort because we do in fact work extremely hard. And while we might not have a winning culture, we certainly have a hard working culture. I love that about MC.

but with the amount of money Dennehy makes..his criticism is fair - "blowing it up" is a legitimate argument.
                          we used to be able to make fun of umass for years and now even they are better than we are. who is next to pass us? Maine?
                          Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Didn't Merrimack give Dennehy a contract extension last season?

Comment

Originally posted by MCWarrior1011 View Post
                              we used to be able to make fun of umass for years and now even they are better than we are. who is next to pass us? Maine?
                              Ouch.
                              Maine, for many, many years, was a national powerhouse and was referred to as one of the 'Big Four' in Hockey East. Their return to that prestigious position would be one of the best things to happen to the Hockey East Association and NCAA Division 1 Men's Ice Hockey. Fans from the State of Maine, some of the nicest folks and knowledgable hockey fans you could ever meet, fill arenas all over the country when their team is involved in post season play. We need fan bases like theirs back in the national scene.

Not to take away from your desire for a better program at Merrimack, as I have a soft spot in my heart for the Mack as well. I have a daughter who was a student/athlete at Merrimack and graduated from your fine institution some years back. She loved her 4 years in North Andover, as did I. Fact of the matter is though, even a Jerry York would most likely struggle to win at the Mack. Take a look around and look at the facilities and resources that your coach is up against in the recruiting battles to field a team. In this outsiders opinion, I am very impressed with his team's compete level and their ability to beat any team in the nation on any given night. Merrimack pretty much brings it every night and is a very tough out for any program. That's coaching.

Won't be surprised if he is one of the front runners in the Boston College job when Jerry retires. Merrimack is the David competing against many Goliaths. What Dennehy accomplish's with little to work with does not go unnoticed. Be careful what you wish for folks.
                              Last edited by FiveHole12; 11-21-2017, 01:59 AM.
                              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                                Ouch.
                                Maine, for many, many years, was a national powerhouse and was referred to as one of the 'Big Four' in Hockey East. Their return to that prestigious position would be one of the best things to happen to the Hockey East Association and NCAA Division 1 Men's Ice Hockey. Fans from the State of Maine, some of the nicest folks and knowledgable hockey fans you could ever meet, fill arenas all over the country when their team is involved in post season play. We need fan bases like theirs back in the national scene.

Not to take away from your desire for a better program at Merrimack, as I have a soft spot in my heart for the Mack as well. I have a daughter who was a student/athlete at Merrimack and graduated from your fine institution some years back. She loved her 4 years in North Andover, as did I. Fact of the matter is though, even a Jerry York would most likely struggle to win at the Mack. Take a look around and look at the facilities and resources that your coach is up against in the recruiting battles to field a team. In this outsiders opinion, I am very impressed with his team's compete level and their ability to beat any team in the nation on any given night. Merrimack pretty much brings it every night and is a very tough out for any program. That's coaching.

Won't be surprised if he is one of the front runners in the Boston College job when Jerry retires. Merrimack is the David competing against many Goliaths. What Dennehy accomplish's with little to work with does not go unnoticed. Be careful what you wish for folks.
                                I don't think the facilities gap is nearly as big as it used to be. The locker room is world-class, as is the weight room. Their lounge is ridiculous. That's what a lot of recruits care about. http://www.channelbuilding.com/portf...r-locker-room/

There's no denying that we're not likely to have the kind of funding they do at NoDak, Wisco, ND, etc. At least not til Microsoft or Google buys my startup.

Comment

Working...
                                X