Merrimack College 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Merrimack College 2017-2018

If they get swept at HOME by UVM.... wow, this team is bad. Really disheartening. 2 freakin' goals on the weekend. How does last place feel? Expected better than last place.
    Last edited by RENCEB; 01-28-2018, 11:41 AM.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Couldn’t have said it any better. What a waste of a great player in Seney.

Comment

"I thought we played hard - we put ourselves in a position where it was the bounce of the puck, and tonight the puck didn't bounce our way" - Mark Dennehy post game presser...
        Are you kidding me? How can you continue to say the SAME THING after every game. We're in last place... its not the bounce of the puck.. we just are a terrible team.
        Same rhetoric - "played hard" "puck didn't bounce our way" every. single. year. literally every year everyone says the same thing.

Comment

Honest, I thought my expectations going into this season were rational. 7th place + or - one spot. Even with the last departure of Delia, that still seemed reasonable. So why are they so bad?

Offense: D-. 51st out of 60 teams. An annual lament. And my fear is it will only get worse as they will lose Seney and Hennig. McBride looks like he might have some skill, and Tavernier and Larrson a bit, but do you see anything else? Any impact freshman? Do they have any kind of offensive approach at all? Way too many games with 0 or 1 goal. And spare me the "puck luck" drivel. That excuse is stale.

Penalty Kill: F. It's a good thing they've reduced the number of penalties they take, because their PK is abysmal. 56th in the country. Is that the players or the system (coaching)? The flip side of it is do they even hit anyone? Coach lamented "that was a physical game, .....we had a lot of guys banged up". Anyone on UVM banged up? Probably not because your team didn't hit anyone

Defense: C. 31st in the country. Average.

Goaltending: B-. Pantano has been very good; did not see that coming. However, Vogler had never regained his form from freshman year, and we have no idea about Hallady. I though he was a fairly highly thought of recruit? Why isn't he seeing any action at all?

Powerplay: A-. 14th in the country. Their strongest area this year (the recent 0-7 effort against BU notwithstanding). Is the coach in charge of the PP also in charge of the 5 v 5 offense?

Recruiting: D+. Decent recruiting of Defense (although they've already lost one from this years team, and let's just say the 2 freshman D I've seen don't look game ready. Recruiting of Forwards? F. Who's the last impact Freshman? Seney? Anyone else? Too many grinders and not enough snipers. Please, please, please recruit someone/anyone who can score. I don't care if they are All Hockey East Academic team, I don't care if they are 22 years old. Find someone who can finish!

As I said, I expected better than this.
          Last edited by RENCEB; 01-28-2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Totally agree with you guys. I am sick and tired of hearing the same crap from Dennehy over and over. "We played hard" yup, Merrimack teams always do. You played hard but you lost again, and scored 1 goal. Great job. Anywhere else in the conference and this guy gets fired probably 2 years ago. I'm so sick of it. Same thing. Over and over. Nothing ever changes with this guy. And why was the PK all of a sudden stink? Which assistant always runs the PK Giligan or Carr? I think Dennehy has given credit to Carr in the past. I am not a hockey genius but it doesnt even seem like they are doing the same PK. Why change what was working?
            Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

A lot of positives from this weekend. Sounds like the Warriors really carried the play Friday night, especially in the 3rd. Generated a lot of offense. 4 hooking penalties is not so positive, including one resulting in a penalty shot. If Seney does not have the best wrist shot in HE, tell me who's is better?
              Great to get the split on Saturday night. Came out fast in the 1st, got a little loose in the 3rd (ME with 19 shots in the 3rd.....WAY to many). Congrats to Vogler on the win, and to Tavernier on his second OT winner of the year! Wow, they've played 8 OT games this year.
              5 games left, including 3 at home. Have to beat UMass @ Amherst on Tuesday night to stay ahead of the Minutemen.

Comment

am I the only one frustrated with the fact that they can go out and beat Maine at Maine and then can beat Denver at Denver and then lose two to Vermont at home?
                Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by MCWarrior1011 View Post
                  am I the only one frustrated with the fact that they can go out and beat Maine at Maine and then can beat Denver at Denver and then lose two to Vermont at home?
                  Most of the time, coaches will tell you that players are more focused on the road. Fewer distractions. Dennehy had your guys playing good positional hockey at Maine. Gendron not so much.

Comment

....and just like that, back to 11th (and the teams in front of you have games in hand). Collapse in the 3rd, penalty kill continues to be terrible. Time to go back to your actual starting goalie. Gave up 2 goals on 6 shots in the 1st, and 3 goals on 6 shots in the 3rd. Sigh.
                    Last edited by RENCEB; 02-06-2018, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I'm DONE with this team. Wake me up when they fire the coach and breathe some new life into the program. Until then all you are going to get is more of the same. The players clearly do not want to play for him. Let your skill players play with their skill instead of dump and trap. It is boring hockey but I will take it if we're winning. I am not going to watch boring hockey and losing hockey. I would sell my tickets for the last 3 home games but I am not sure I would get anyone to buy them. I could not give away free tickets to the BU game a few weeks ago and it was a BU GAME!!!!!!
                      Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

also why isn't anyone on USCHO or college hockey news growing a set and writing that we should have a coaching change? Why isnt the Eagle Tribune writing about our failures and that we need a new coach????? I emailed the guy from the ET and told him alums are not happy, people want change and they need to write a story. Never got a response to my e-mail.
                        Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

I don't think McMahon would be able to keep his level of access to the team and administration for long if he wrote that scathing article. He isn't exactly Shaugnessy with the backing of a major regional paper behind him allowing him to call out sports figures willy nilly.

But I dig the passion!

I do find any posts about playing for home ice to be a little bit comical at this point. We are cooked and can maybe hope for a Cinderella story like a few years ago when we got to the second round in an upset.
                          Last edited by Yuppie Scum; 02-06-2018, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                            I don't think McMahon would be able to keep his level of access to the team and administration for long if he wrote that scathing article. He isn't exactly Shaugnessy with the backing of a major regional paper behind him allowing him to call out sports figures willy nilly.

But I dig the passion!

I do find any posts about playing for home ice to be a little bit comical at this point. We are cooked and can maybe hope for a Cinderella story like a few years ago when we got to the second round in an upset.

But that is the thing we were not cooked! If we beat UMASS the other night we are tied for 8th and still have a game left with NH where we could win and jump them. He was right that home ice was in play and now it is now. We are cooked now but we were not before Tuesday. Hockey East isn not good this year and it looks like only 2 teams will make the NCAA's and we are about to finish in last place. No more excuses.
                            Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

on top of that, what underclassmen are scoring to make you think that things will be OK next year when Hennig, Seney, etc. all graduate? None of the freshmen are scoring. All we will have is Taverneir, McBride and Larson. This team is not good and we will probably be worse next year. How much longer do we need to keep doing this? I am sure the guys work hard and they are good kids, you never hear about them getting in trouble and Merrimack doesn't have any issues like St Lawrence. So we have that going for us......which is nice.
                              Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

I guaruntee that Merrimack will be undefeated this weekend

Comment

Working...
                                X