Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 172

Thread: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,589

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
    It's awkward for sure, but half again generally means 1.5X. As in that much plus half again. So if Providence shot 41, Harvard would have shot roughly 27. That way the Friars shot half again as many, or 27 + half 27, or 41. Does that fit the actual stats any better?
    Okay, that fits but man I get a popsicle headache trying to sort it out.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,403

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by SheLovesCollegeHockey View Post
    Watching USAU-18 game on ILDN. That was quite an impressive shot and goal from Reilly Walsh in the first period. It would be most welcome to have a new play maker in the mix.
    That is what Walsh will bring. Great skating, passing, and shooting. The knock on him has been his play in his own zone. I would expect Harvard to have Walsh and Fox on the #1PP.

  3. #43
    Conductor emeritus
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    3,111

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Hello everyone! As you may or may not have seen, vicb is not running the annual ECAC Pick the Standings contest this season. I have decided to take up the torch and run it. I know we are running on rather short notice as the season will start in just four days, but hopefully we can get a decent turnout regardless. If you'd like to participate, just head on over to the thread and submit your prediction! Thanks and good luck!
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

    2014-2015 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner Up

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,403

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    The faithful are going to love Jack Drury:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_B3TIuEtm4

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by alslammerz View Post
    When I left they got in a few writers who knew the game already, and they and WHRB coexisted well, and then WHRB lost a lot of their hockey broadcasters to graduation and now its the Crimson with a lot better hockey coverage (which kills me).
    Another good point. My understanding of the finances of both organizations is that their sports coverage must intersect on the cost side (sharing of hotels, cars, etc) otherwise neither can really afford it.

    Have heard recently (within the last week) that WHRB has some new student leadership and the finances have improved. And I know David Elliot was a supporter of WHRB Sports -- so hopefully some of the money flows there. I saw some FB posts about WHRB calling the Dartmouth game, but the real test will come when the road schedule hits.

    SPEAKING OF: Can't believe I missed this but this team does not play at home between Nov. 5 and Jan. 4. What a stretch -- trips to Colgate, Cornell, Minnesota, BC, QPac, Princeton, and UVM.

    That'll be a test for the players (and for the travelling press)!
    I know we’re going to win tonight.

    I believe we’re going to win tonight.

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    Really thoughtful guy. And Ted's quote -- "You'll never get confidence from us.'' -- is A++
    I know we’re going to win tonight.

    I believe we’re going to win tonight.

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    244

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by TheyreVeryWellCoached View Post
    SPEAKING OF: Can't believe I missed this but this team does not play at home between Nov. 5 and Jan. 4. What a stretch -- trips to Colgate, Cornell, Minnesota, BC, QPac, Princeton, and UVM.

    That'll be a test for the players (and for the travelling press)!
    While the Ivy teams have a pretty long December break, all of the other play at home throughout November and early December.

    I have to say this year's schedule isn't fantastic for season ticket holders either (and the prices went up significantly). We have only the basic 11 conference games at home, 2 of which have been changed from evening to afternoon, and the mentioned 8+ week gap. All 3 non-tournament OOC games this year are away, so not great for the home ice advantage either. Admission was also charged for the U18 pre-season game, though season ticket holders did get that one tossed in.
    Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 10-25-2017 at 12:13 PM.

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,589

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    The faithful are going to love Jack Drury:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_B3TIuEtm4
    OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! That's all I got. Hopefully the kid will be in one piece when he arrives in Cambridge. Someone call his dad and tell him it's okay, he doesn't have to block every shot.

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,589

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by TheyreVeryWellCoached View Post
    Another good point. My understanding of the finances of both organizations is that their sports coverage must intersect on the cost side (sharing of hotels, cars, etc) otherwise neither can really afford it.

    Have heard recently (within the last week) that WHRB has some new student leadership and the finances have improved. And I know David Elliot was a supporter of WHRB Sports -- so hopefully some of the money flows there. I saw some FB posts about WHRB calling the Dartmouth game, but the real test will come when the road schedule hits.

    SPEAKING OF: Can't believe I missed this but this team does not play at home between Nov. 5 and Jan. 4. What a stretch -- trips to Colgate, Cornell, Minnesota, BC, QPac, Princeton, and UVM.

    That'll be a test for the players (and for the travelling press)!
    It's good bonding for the team and it means more home games later in the season when we may be without Ryan Donato and Adam Fox. Something to consider. Plus with unusually warm fall weather, Bright-Landry ice might be really soft and that doesn't really give us our normal advantage over other teams that don't skate particularly well.

  10. #50
    Conductor emeritus
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    3,111

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Here's one final reminder that today is the LAST DAY to submit an entry into the ECAC Pick The Standings contest! League play starts tonight, so if you'd like to participate, just head on over to the thread and submit your prediction! Thanks and good luck!
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

    2014-2015 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner Up

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,589

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Well that's the way to start a season! From the drop of the puck to the final whistle, Harvard left no doubt who was the better team. The most complete team effort I've seen from the Crimson to start a season since, well, since we pasted the Green to open the season up there a few years ago.

    Missing much of our scoring from last season didn't really factor into this game although the shot totals will tell you it was a more evenly played game. It wasn't. We were never threatened by the Green - we scored at five aside, on the PP and shorthanded (a sick goal by Ryan Donato busting in on a two on one with Jake Horton from the right face-off circle with a wrister beating Buffalo glove side). We moved the puck efficiently, played physical, used our legs and completely overwhelmed our travel partners. At times it looked like the varsity playing against the JV. And not our JV either.

    Other than Ryan's shortie, the goal voted most likely to make an ESPN Play of the Week goes to the Horton line with tic tac toe passing from left to right entering the Dartmouth zone with Sea Lloyd feeding Jake Horton for a tap in out front making it 4-0 early in the second. Donato finished the scoring on the PP on a great feed from Reilly Walsh, again another tic tac toe precision passing display.

    Some other thoughts from the game;

    Our D is going to be one of the best in the nation. If not the best. Imagine having three D pairings where each pair has a defenseman who can jump into the offensive zone and create plays. They are going to be a nightmare for opposing coaches.

    Madsen looked solid and as calm as I have ever seen him. He handled the puck flawlessly when he had to which wasn't often because our D did such a good job clearing the front of the net. Dartmouth rarely got any good looks.

    Despite the five goals, the offense will take time to gel. The second and third lines were interchangeable. All four lines can skate and create opportunities but Harvard needs to do a better job of setting up in front of the net to get close in chances. Finishing might a problem early on.

    Katie Guay became the first woman to referee a men's game at Bright-Landry. Formerly of Brown University. Good to see diversity and equality starting to pay off.

    Would it be too much trouble to ask the band to show up? Game of Thrones is in hiatus and whatever Netflix must see could have waited until after the game. Cripes, we went to the Frozen Four last year. C'mon people. Show some love!

    Oh well, bring on the Eli!

  12. #52

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,403

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Great start. Only areas of concern would be face-offs and taking some unnecessary penalties that better teams will exploit.

    I was surprised to see so many frosh dress (5), including the 3rd D pairing being an all frosh pairing. Thought Bowlby and Walsh looked real good. You know Badini can play.

    Yale is on Friday. Always a tough one so expect a good week of practice.
    Last edited by bothman; 10-30-2017 at 12:10 PM.

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    276

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    I would have one additional concern. It is the lessoning in interest for college hockey showing up in attendance figures
    Less than 2,000 at Harvard and less than 5,000 at BU and BC for the number one team in the country
    Even Minnesota fails to sell out anymore
    The beanpot has been less than full the past few years
    Hockey East doesn't have a TV contract for this year
    Quality of play remains high but difficult to build interest especially with student attendance
    Not having band at 1st Harvard is a certain red flag

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    256

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Skate79 View Post
    Well that's the way to start a season! From the drop of the puck to the final whistle, Harvard left no doubt who was the better team. The most complete team effort I've seen from the Crimson to start a season since, well, since we pasted the Green to open the season up there a few years ago.

    Missing much of our scoring from last season didn't really factor into this game although the shot totals will tell you it was a more evenly played game. It wasn't. We were never threatened by the Green - we scored at five aside, on the PP and shorthanded (a sick goal by Ryan Donato busting in on a two on one with Jake Horton from the right face-off circle with a wrister beating Buffalo glove side). We moved the puck efficiently, played physical, used our legs and completely overwhelmed our travel partners. At times it looked like the varsity playing against the JV. And not our JV either.

    Other than Ryan's shortie, the goal voted most likely to make an ESPN Play of the Week goes to the Horton line with tic tac toe passing from left to right entering the Dartmouth zone with Sea Lloyd feeding Jake Horton for a tap in out front making it 4-0 early in the second. Donato finished the scoring on the PP on a great feed from Reilly Walsh, again another tic tac toe precision passing display.

    Some other thoughts from the game;

    Our D is going to be one of the best in the nation. If not the best. Imagine having three D pairings where each pair has a defenseman who can jump into the offensive zone and create plays. They are going to be a nightmare for opposing coaches.

    Madsen looked solid and as calm as I have ever seen him. He handled the puck flawlessly when he had to which wasn't often because our D did such a good job clearing the front of the net. Dartmouth rarely got any good looks.

    Despite the five goals, the offense will take time to gel. The second and third lines were interchangeable. All four lines can skate and create opportunities but Harvard needs to do a better job of setting up in front of the net to get close in chances. Finishing might a problem early on.

    Katie Guay became the first woman to referee a men's game at Bright-Landry. Formerly of Brown University. Good to see diversity and equality starting to pay off.

    Would it be too much trouble to ask the band to show up? Game of Thrones is in hiatus and whatever Netflix must see could have waited until after the game. Cripes, we went to the Frozen Four last year. C'mon people. Show some love!

    Oh well, bring on the Eli!
    I agree with most of your post! Well, it played out on paper as Harvard was by far the better team with the skill at another level... I choose to call it Men vs Boys!

    You commented on that "ESPN 4th Goal! It was a thing of beauty but you omitted Floodstrand's role; he opened up the space bringing defenders to then droping off to Lloyd then to Horton. Without Floodstrand gaining the zone and opening up space the play does not happen!

    Donato and Fox were there usual selves; on Donato's shortie that was savable as it beat Buffalo on the short glove hand side as Yau played it perfectly allowing Buffalo to focus on the shooter. Also that's what happens when you have a 4th forward playing on the PP as Kalk stepped up and got neither the puck or man

    Badini (outside speed) and Walsh (lit bit of everything) impressed me as well. Good Luck for the rest of the season and see you in Hanover!

  15. #55

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,403

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by DLG View Post
    I would have one additional concern. It is the lessoning in interest for college hockey showing up in attendance figures
    Less than 2,000 at Harvard and less than 5,000 at BU and BC for the number one team in the country
    Even Minnesota fails to sell out anymore
    The beanpot has been less than full the past few years
    Hockey East doesn't have a TV contract for this year
    Quality of play remains high but difficult to build interest especially with student attendance
    Not having band at 1st Harvard is a certain red flag
    Agreed. I don't think a Sunday night is the best barometer for attendance and Harvard's attendance has been better in recent years - but it is absolutely something to pay attention to.

    On attendance in general, I think with more TV coverage (NESN, Ivy League Digital, Fox, etc), the cost (tickets, parking, concessions), the ability to replicate a pretty good viewing experience in the comforts of your own home - these things make this issue complex.

    The band's attendance was good last year. I expect them to be there for Yale on Friday night.

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,589

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    Great start. Only areas of concern would be face-offs and taking some unnecessary penalties that better teams will exploit.

    I was surprised to see so many frosh dress (5), including the 3rd D pairing being an all frosh pairing. Thought Bowlby and Walsh looked real good. You know Badini can play.

    Yale is on Friday. Always a tough one so expect a good week of practice.
    I was surprised at how many frosh dressed as well. Especially the third pairing of Walsh and Foley. Not saying they aren't terrific players but it is somewhat unusual.

    I thought Bowlby stood out amongst the frosh. Badini is certainly good but he can up his game. He showed me more this summer at the Plymouth tournament.

    A couple of the penalties were questionable - the look on Ty Pelton Byce's face when he got called was priceless. Also, our second PP unit needs work. They didn't generate any action in the offensive zone.

    Still, a very good start.

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,589

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by BIG Green View Post
    I agree with most of your post! Well, it played out on paper as Harvard was by far the better team with the skill at another level... I choose to call it Men vs Boys!

    You commented on that "ESPN 4th Goal! It was a thing of beauty but you omitted Floodstrand's role; he opened up the space bringing defenders to then droping off to Lloyd then to Horton. Without Floodstrand gaining the zone and opening up space the play does not happen!

    Donato and Fox were there usual selves; on Donato's shortie that was savable as it beat Buffalo on the short glove hand side as Yau played it perfectly allowing Buffalo to focus on the shooter. Also that's what happens when you have a 4th forward playing on the PP as Kalk stepped up and got neither the puck or man

    Badini (outside speed) and Walsh (lit bit of everything) impressed me as well. Good Luck for the rest of the season and see you in Hanover!
    Good call on Floodstrand. You're absolutely right. He did yeoman's work drawing the Dartmouth defenders to allow Lloyd and Horton to finish.

    Disagree on Yau for this reason. Donato is a sharpshooter and Horton doesn't have the same offensive skill. Yau needed to cut down the spacing between Donato and Buffalo to force the issue. He gave Ryan too big a lane and you will pay when you do that. IMHO, Buffalo had no chance.

    Hope you guys have a good year because as our travel partner, we want you to make life hard on teams that we have to face on Saturday. We'll do our part on the Friday night games!

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,589

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by DLG View Post
    I would have one additional concern. It is the lessoning in interest for college hockey showing up in attendance figures
    Less than 2,000 at Harvard and less than 5,000 at BU and BC for the number one team in the country
    Even Minnesota fails to sell out anymore
    The beanpot has been less than full the past few years
    Hockey East doesn't have a TV contract for this year
    Quality of play remains high but difficult to build interest especially with student attendance
    Not having band at 1st Harvard is a certain red flag
    These are all great points. I want to say that it may be the October effect(early season) but BU doesn't have football so there is nothing else on campus that should keep the students from attending. Or anyone else for that matter.

    I can only speak for Harvard and while I sort of agree with Bothman, our attendance isn't what it once was. We still only sell out Cornell; Yale is well attended as are SLU-Clarkson (mostly because their fans travel well).

    I've said my piece on the band. They should have been there last night.

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Agree with the other rundowns of Sunday night. Great start. Couple of things:

    1) Have to be excited by Ryan's start. Remember he had a hat trick against the USNTDP. Plus two goals against Dartmouth. He's a Hobey and Olympic candidate and I think we all have to wonder if this is his final season. If I'm correct he could be a Vesey Rule free agent after this year as he was drafted before his last year of high school and would thus be four years out.

    2) Lewis Zerter-Gossage's first period wraparound goal really impressed me. Strong over the puck and moved smoothly behind the net. Then gathered his own rebound and stuffed it in.

    3) As always, love how @Harvard_Hockey is generous with goal videos on Twitter. (Link to LZG's goal: https://twitter.com/Harvard_Hockey/s...80738813108226)

    4) Agree on the second PP unit. May need some work. But first looks lethal.

    5) Crimson story from the new writer was strong. One note: Captains are also asked to do media for the team after each game (unlike NHL or NCAA Tourney games, not every player is made available). After losses one of the captains is usually the only player to speak. Madsen spoke last night -- easy enough to do after a shutout, but I wonder if he will be the guy put forward after losses as well. (LINK: http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...artmouth-2017/)

    Looking ahead, Yale is always interesting. I haven't done enough work to know where they are this year. I hope we have the band but with football away at Columbia the next day I wouldn't be surprised if we don't. Fingers crossed.
    I know we’re going to win tonight.

    I believe we’re going to win tonight.

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    672

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    [I hope we have the band but with football away at Columbia the next day I wouldn't be surprised if we don't. Fingers crossed.][/QUOTE]

    Wonder if the band still feels it has an obligation, as in my day, to dispatch a subset (Schneider's Band) to serenade Yale early on Saturday morning on trips to Columbia and other points south? That involved 4 am bus departures for the hardy souls who volunteered (and risked apprehension by Yalie campus cops).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •