Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    As to ticket sales procedures there is/was a glitch in online sales.

I have had season tickets for about 30 years, used to have a pair but now get a singles season ticket (my son moved to Los Angeles, no idea why anyone would want to live there).When I went to buy my playoff tickets online it would not let me do so as my seat is adjacent to a column and selling me my seat would leave a single seat next to me and the system does not allow leaving a single seat. I called the ticket office and they were able to override the restrictions and sell me my usual seat. I do wonder if some season ticket holders might give up due to the online rejection.

The sports marketing people are not doing a great job. For years they provided decent food in the Boynton Lounge but this year it has been fairly awful. The lounge (Boynton and the old Blue Line Club) used to provide free coffee, tea and cocoa, now they never have coffee or tea even for a price. When they redid the arena they replaced the old seats which theatre type seats which provide less leg room for tall people and angle you back as if you are looking up at a screen rather then down towards the ice so you have to lean forward with no back support. Even the ancient Greeks knew how to build better support into a seat. (yes, I am 6'2" and have a bad back and am whining)

Student attendance continues to fall. Apparently the most favored sport at Harvard now is basketball and the Harvard Band rarely plays at Bright-Landry as they seem to be reserved for basketball games. Instead we get recorded (fairly crappy) music played at very high volumes. Not that long ago Bright would be filled to capacity while basketball games would often draw crowds of 50 to 150 people. OK, enough whining from me, just had to say that.

As to Ryan Donato, I hope he stays at Harvard and suspect that he might. He brother Jack is on the team and his girlfriend, Bradley, is also a junior (and hockey player). I have no idea where Nolan ( a senior this year) will go to college but he also is a hockey player and might end up at Harvard. If I were in the position of Ryan's parents I would say stay and get your AB, hockey will still be there next year.
    The band does not play at the basketball games very often either, although they did the hockey/basketball doubleheader a couple of Saturdays ago. On that Friday when hockey and basketball were at the same time they were at the hockey game. The did not attend the consolation game at the Beanpot. There are plenty of empty seats at the basketball games, too.

I only bought one seat for the playoffs and bought it at the end of my row away from the stairs as I never get up, and am sick of being blocked by people who come in late, sit in seats that aren't there, get up to move, etc.. It is a season ticket holders seat, but he wasn't going. We've had season tickets since Tripp Tracy was a freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Faced View Post
      The band does not play at the basketball games very often either, although they did the hockey/basketball doubleheader a couple of Saturdays ago. On that Friday when hockey and basketball were at the same time they were at the hockey game. The did not attend the consolation game at the Beanpot. There are plenty of empty seats at the basketball games, too.

I only bought one seat for the playoffs and bought it at the end of my row away from the stairs as I never get up, and am sick of being blocked by people who come in late, sit in seats that aren't there, get up to move, etc.. It is a season ticket holders seat, but he wasn't going. We've had season tickets since Tripp Tracy was a freshman.
      I was at the St. Lawrence and Clarkson games a couple of weeks ago and the atmosphere was electric. Both nights the Harvard band rocked a whole section on the opponents' side and there was a pretty impressive contingent of enthusiastic Crimson fans too. I wasn't at the Brown game, but I didn't see anyone in the stands on the Ivy Digital Broadcast, whose announcer, I found, was a little over the top. I'm not saying we played well, but Harvard players are all divers? Come on.

Comment

Originally posted by Replay View Post
        I was at the St. Lawrence and Clarkson games a couple of weeks ago and the atmosphere was electric. Both nights the Harvard band rocked a whole section on the opponents' side and there was a pretty impressive contingent of enthusiastic Crimson fans too. I wasn't at the Brown game, but I didn't see anyone in the stands on the Ivy Digital Broadcast, whose announcer, I found, was a little over the top. I'm not saying we played well, but Harvard players are all divers? Come on.
        The announcers that I have heard from the other teams fall into two categories; incredible homers or homers but with a nod to the other team. The worst are the Q-Pac guys; like no one else exists on the planet that can skate with the Bobcats. SLU is okay but not very realistic in terms of how they portray their team. The RPI guys were the best I've heard. Fair and balanced and they give ample credit to the opposing team. Unless they are playing Union.

Comment

Part of me would love to see Harvard catch lighting in a bottle, win the ECAC tournament and get to the NCAAs. But I’ll also admit that as much as I love Harvard hockey, this has been a profoundly disappointing season and I don’t think Harvard “deserves” anything more than a relatively early ECAC exit. Much has been said about how loaded this team is “on paper” (pre-season #2!!!!, NHL picks, World Junior players, an Olympian/Hobey candidate). Yet with their full lineup this team has only managed 3 wins against teams in the top half of the PWR (there are 60 teams) – an OT win against #19 Union, and two wins against #28 Princeton. And among other low points, this campaign has produced two losses to #37 Colgate, a loss to #54 Brown, and a tie against #58 RPI. In short, I don’t think there is any objective case to be made that we should expect much more or different in the ECACs.
          Frankly, my thinking is turning more to next year. This team loses almost no production to graduation (the top scoring senior is #10 on the team, and Lewis Z-G has as many points as ALL seniors on this team COMBINED). Normally you’d say that being able to return almost all of your production is great (for next year). But given that the underachievement of this year’s team – without really any upward trend toward the end of the season – what is the case to be made that this same group goes from being less than the sum of its parts to being the formidable team that was expected of it this year?

Comment

Originally posted by crimsoncat View Post
            Part of me would love to see Harvard catch lighting in a bottle, win the ECAC tournament and get to the NCAAs. But I’ll also admit that as much as I love Harvard hockey, this has been a profoundly disappointing season and I don’t think Harvard “deserves” anything more than a relatively early ECAC exit. Much has been said about how loaded this team is “on paper” (pre-season #2!!!!, NHL picks, World Junior players, an Olympian/Hobey candidate). Yet with their full lineup this team has only managed 3 wins against teams in the top half of the PWR (there are 60 teams) – an OT win against #19 Union, and two wins against #28 Princeton. And among other low points, this campaign has produced two losses to #37 Colgate, a loss to #54 Brown, and a tie against #58 RPI. In short, I don’t think there is any objective case to be made that we should expect much more or different in the ECACs.
            Frankly, my thinking is turning more to next year. This team loses almost no production to graduation (the top scoring senior is #10 on the team, and Lewis Z-G has as many points as ALL seniors on this team COMBINED). Normally you’d say that being able to return almost all of your production is great (for next year). But given that the underachievement of this year’s team – without really any upward trend toward the end of the season – what is the case to be made that this same group goes from being less than the sum of its parts to being the formidable team that was expected of it this year?
            You forgot to mention we beat and tied #7 Clarkson, and beat and tied #16 Boston College.

The ECAC's will be a coin toss for us. I suspect we will face Dartmouth in the 1st round, which should be favorable since we played very well against them both games this season. If we move on, the quarter final game should be against Cornell - which will be our chance for revenge - we can certainly win that game. I don't want to get too far ahead, so I won't try and forecast the scenarios beyond that...

I am optimistic for next season. We could lose Donato, but there is a decent core of young guys returning who should be stronger next season. And our recruiting class looks very solid, so that will add some depth. It seems like the wild card is whether Wahlstrom will make it, but there are several other very good players coming in on paper - Baker Shore with 32pts in 42 USHL games, Jack Drury with 43pts in 41 USHL games and projected ~3rd round, Rathbone's a 4th round D man, and Casey Dornbach with 41 pts in the USHL this year - just to name a few... I think overall, we are gaining more than we lose. If Wahlstrom comes, that will be an additional boost.

But as we all know, teams that look good on paper (BU for example) don't always guarantee results. That's why the games are settled on the ice.

Comment

I think the case to be made is that they will all have finished another year of development and bonding, and a summer of training.

Comment

Originally posted by Game0n View Post
                You forgot to mention we beat and tied #7 Clarkson, and beat and tied #16 Boston College.

The ECAC's will be a coin toss for us. I suspect we will face Dartmouth in the 1st round, which should be favorable since we played very well against them both games this season. If we move on, the quarter final game should be against Cornell - which will be our chance for revenge - we can certainly win that game. I don't want to get too far ahead, so I won't try and forecast the scenarios beyond that...

I am optimistic for next season. We could lose Donato, but there is a decent core of young guys returning who should be stronger next season. And our recruiting class looks very solid, so that will add some depth. It seems like the wild card is whether Wahlstrom will make it, but there are several other very good players coming in on paper - Baker Shore with 32pts in 42 USHL games, Jack Drury with 43pts in 41 USHL games and projected ~3rd round, Rathbone's a 4th round D man, and Casey Dornbach with 41 pts in the USHL this year - just to name a few... I think overall, we are gaining more than we lose. If Wahlstrom comes, that will be an additional boost.

But as we all know, teams that look good on paper (BU for example) don't always guarantee results. That's why the games are settled on the ice.
                Yes, they beat #7 Clarkson and #16 BC, but not with their full lineup (i.e., with #16). WITH their full lineup (and the one that will be on the ice for the ECACs, etc.), their high-water mark for the season was the OT win against #19 Union I noted ...

Comment

• Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Yes, they beat #7 Clarkson and #16 BC, but not with their full lineup (i.e., with #16). WITH their full lineup (and the one that will be on the ice for the ECACs, etc.), their high-water mark for the season was the OT win against #19 Union I noted ...
                  Does this imply Harvard is better without its top performing forward? Seems counterintuitive, but perhaps the team succeeds on the “all star-no star” model which is not sustainable with one potential NHL superstar deferred to by all. Makes sense?

Incidentally, I have a hunch that Wahlstrom will end up at BU or BC.
                  Last edited by HUCrimson#1; 03-03-2018, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Have to wait until tonight to find out who we play. Really hope that Dartmouth finishes off SLU. I don't want to see Colgate assuming they beat RPI.

According to the Dartmouth thread, last night's game was rough and chippy. SLU has nothing to lose obviously so they may just let it all hang out tonight and hope the refs continue to put their whistles away.

The other surprise for me was the Bobcats sweep of Yale. I didn't see that coming - thought that series would go three.
                    Last edited by Skate79; 03-04-2018, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
                      Does this imply Harvard is better without its top performing forward? Seems counterintuitive, but perhaps the team succeeds on the “all star-no star” model which is not sustainable with one potential NHL superstar deferred to by all. Makes sense?

Incidentally, I have a hunch that Wahlstrom will end up at BU or BC.
                      I really hope you're wrong about Wahlstrom. But it wouldn't be the first time nor the last that we lose a player to BC or BU.

We've proven we can win without Ryan but I'd much rather have him in the lineup than suiting up for the Bruins. At least for one more year.

Comment

Some lingering thoughts as we await the arrival of another nor'easter and the Big Green.

1. I went by the ticket office today and picked up my tickets. A season ticket holder was there getting his season seats for this weekend. Didn't seem to be any issues. According to the kid I spoke with at the window, Dartmouth isn't selling much of their allotment. In fact he said it was pretty sparse. Maybe they are exhausted from last weekend??

2. Kyle Criscuolo was called up by the Sabres and played on the fourth line last night against Toronto. Got me thinking about the last time Harvard had three players from one line in the NHL at the same time (Vesey in NY, Kerfoot in Colorado). I had to go back to the 1973-'74 season when Dave Hynes had a cup of coffee with the Bruins and Bob McManama was up with the Penguins. Bill Corkery, the third member of that line I don't think got a shot but I can't say for sure. Would be cool if somehow Colorado could get Vesey and Criscuolo to join Alex in the Rockies. Getting Vesey would be the hard part unless they made him an offer as a restricted free agent that the Rangers didn't match. Don't see that happening.

3. The drumbeat for Ryan Donato leaving after he finishes this season continues in the media although I can't see it given the number of forwards with NHL experience the Bruins currently have on their roster. Even with Bergeron's injury, it doesn't make sense for Ryan to leave now. Over the summer maybe but I'm still holding out hope that he'll stay and finish his degree on time.

4. I don't know how much the SLU series took out of Dartmouth. I'm hoping plenty. From what the Dartmouth thread is saying, it was a rough series. I expect the Crimson to prevail but at this time of year and with our inexperience up front, you never know. The key will be our D and Madsen. They have to step up and take away time and space from the Dartmouth forwards. I also would like our PK to improve and start putting up oh fers in this series.

Comment

4. I don't know how much the SLU series took out of Dartmouth. I'm hoping plenty. From what the Dartmouth thread is saying, it was a rough series. I expect the Crimson to prevail but at this time of year and with our inexperience up front, you never know. The key will be our D and Madsen. They have to step up and take away time and space from the Dartmouth forwards. I also would like our PK to improve and start putting up oh fers in this series.

Well the match up you have been clamoring for and truthfully I don't fault you in that thinking is finally here, in looking at the other match ups, with obviously no slight towards the BG. Yes, I do believe the St. L series did take some (fill in the blank) out of the BG but youthful legs and bodies recover much quicker. On the other hand, with Harvard, "Is it REST or RUST?" with the two week layoff. Couple of keys will be: can BG's team D handle the line of Donato's rush and Fox's excellent decision making, especially in the O zone or to turn it around, can BG's TREE and grind line play below the circles in the O zone against Harvard's smallish D and create offensive havoc. More to come later!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                            Well the match up you have been clamoring for and truthfully I don't fault you in that thinking is finally here, in looking at the other match ups, with obviously no slight towards the BG. Yes, I do believe the St. L series did take some (fill in the blank) out of the BG but youthful legs and bodies recover much quicker. On the other hand, with Harvard, "Is it REST or RUST?" with the two week layoff. Couple of keys will be: can BG's team D handle the line of Donato's rush and Fox's excellent decision making, especially in the O zone or to turn it around, can BG's TREE and grind line play below the circles in the O zone against Harvard's smallish D and create offensive havoc. More to come later!
                            First, I haven't been clamoring for it. I merely pointed out that it is a better match up for Harvard.

To your point about 'rest vs rust'. The week off shouldn't bother them. It's more about the matchup than the time off. If anything the team should be itching to play Dartmouth instead of facing off against their teammates or a scrub team they may bring in to scrimmage.

Harvard's smallish D? Have you seen Wiley Sherman? Adam Baughman? And Jake Olsen and John Marino aren't exactly Tory Krug. May want to revisit this statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                              First, I haven't been clamoring for it. I merely pointed out that it is a better match up for Harvard.

To your point about 'rest vs rust'. The week off shouldn't bother them. It's more about the matchup than the time off. If anything the team should be itching to play Dartmouth instead of facing off against their teammates or a scrub team they may bring in to scrimmage.

Harvard's smallish D? Have you seen Wiley Sherman? Adam Baughman? And Jake Olsen and John Marino aren't exactly Tory Krug. May want to revisit this statement.
                              It's all good Skate79!

I do recall you stated that BG was not very good at the beginning of the year; thus not helping you our travel partner in tiring out the team we played first. Also I said told you about Fox's needing to get better in the D zone long before anyone else did and you fought me tooth and nail only to have other poster admit/concur the same thing especially after World Jrs.

As far as the smallish D, I probably should clarify myself in that maybe it's not all physical stature but also the stature in how you play like Baughman and Marino.

Like I said, it's all good (this good healthy bantering/posturing) with you as you are a very good and loyal poster for Harvard! You and Bothman should be commended for that, whereas I fly solo!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                                It's all good Skate79!

I do recall you stated that BG was not very good at the beginning of the year; thus not helping you our travel partner in tiring out the team we played first. Also I said told you about Fox's needing to get better in the D zone long before anyone else did and you fought me tooth and nail only to have other poster admit/concur the same thing especially after World Jrs.

As far as the smallish D, I probably should clarify myself in that maybe it's not all physical stature but also the stature in how you play like Baughman and Marino.

Like I said, it's all good (this good healthy bantering/posturing) with you as you are a very good and loyal poster for Harvard! You and Bothman should be commended for that, whereas I fly solo!
                                Feeling is mutual. I feel bad that no one is posting over in your thread except to wish you guys the best this weekend (for obvious reasons, I can't do the same!).

Yes I did worry that Dartmouth was going to be a weak travel partner this year based on the first outing and obviously I was proven wrong there. Happy to admit it. The Green I believe is the surprise team of the conference this year.

About Fox. Yes we did go tooth and nail and yes, he has not played as well as last year defensively. He needs to up his game especially if he is thinking about the pros (Calgary is so well stocked on D at the moment that I don't see him cracking the roster in the next two years). But his outlet passes as you have described are laser like and he sees the ice so well in front of him. Almost before the play happens. He is a special talent.

Our D tends to favor a skating game because of the talent back there. Baughman and Sherman are more physical as is Jake Olsen. Fox and Marino are puck pushers so their game is more about transition and speed. It's the way of the NHL and how hockey is played these days (except for those who reside in Ithaca, NY).

Again, I concur with your sentiment that it's all friendly banter and not mean't to rip anyone or their school.

Comment

Working...
                                X