X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by 40-Year Big Red Fan View Post
    Harvard math: 20 goals, 20 games "his usual 2 goals."
    Hah, sorry! On this team he creates the impression of scoring a lot. I'd have said half the team's goals but it is more like just one third (20 of 61)
    Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 01-26-2018, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by UHall6 View Post
      Waiting for hot takes. . . .
      If you’re expecting any credit to be given to Cornell on this board, don’t hold your breath. Cornell played a terrific road game, and was missing their 3rd leading scorer in Malott (who in the 1st game undressed the same defenseman, Olson, who was similarly played by Angello tonight) and a top defenseman in Alex Green.

Comment

Originally posted by TimV View Post
        Bothman said "Cornell is vastly overrated (only 1 win against a Top 20 team)"

@UHall6: Wait! He's right! We STILL only have one win over a top 20 team. Those preseason Harvard rankings don't count.
        I took his vastly overrated remark to mean Harvard was going to win easily. I mean, they basically won in Ithaca if not for the refs.

Comment

• Originally posted by UHall6 View Post
          I took his vastly overrated remark to mean Harvard was going to win easily. I mean, they basically won in Ithaca if not for the refs.
          This is a pedestrian Harvard team. And they have been all year.

And anyone who follows hockey, including many scouts who were there, will all tell you the final 5 mins of that game @Lynah was a disgrace.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
            Cornell played like Cornell - clog neutral zone, block shots, and wait for chances. They were opportunistic.
            They were opportunistic. They also took the initiative and for long stretches of the game they outskated and generally outperformed Harvard.

I wish the Crimson a good second half. We will not underestimate you if we meet in Lake Placid.

Down year for the conference? Opinions vary.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post

And anyone who follows hockey, including many scouts who were there, will all tell you the final 5 mins of that game @Lynah was a disgrace.
              You're right - Donato's behavior was disgraceful. :P
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                Last year’s Harvard team would beat this year’s by 5 goals.
                Last year's Harvard team beat Cornell by three twice. So you're saying this year's Cornell team is worse than last year?

Comment

Originally posted by UHall6 View Post
                  Honestly, I don't even know why they continue to show up. Why, they barely even won!
                  1. It's their thread.
                  2. It just happened, you can expect sour grapes. Give them a night at least.
                  3. I mean, it's Harvard. And the nanny's night off.
                  4. Sperry sucks. UHall5 forever!
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post

The only "disgrace" during that final five minutes was Donato trying to pull down Malott from behind by the sweater as he circled behind the net before dishing to McCrea for the game winner. Suck it up, bothman. You're the consummate Harvard whiner.

Comment

Originally posted by AlDeFlorio View Post
                      The only "disgrace" during that final five minutes was Donato trying to pull down Malott from behind by the sweater as he circled behind the net before dishing to McCrea for the game winner. Suck it up, bothman. You're the consummate Harvard whiner.
                      Man. Getting told to stand down by Al Bundy!

Cornell fans coming out of the woodwork to gloat on the Harvard thread. I guess the echo chamber of GroupThink is getting a little old up there on eLynah?

Comment

Um- it was YOUR comment that started all this. You didn't expect a heaping serving of crow on your plate?
                        A neg.rep on this thread is a badge of honor.....troyboy March 7 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          1. It's their thread.
                          2. It just happened, you can expect sour grapes. Give them a night at least.
                          3. I mean, it's Harvard. And the nanny's night off.
                          4. Sperry sucks. UHall5 forever!
                          You can expect sour grapes on this thread whether Harvard wins or loses this year.

Comment

Originally posted by TimV View Post
                            Um- it was YOUR comment that started all this. You didn't expect a heaping serving of crow on your plate?
                            Because I said Cornell was overrated and unproven and that the last 5 minutes up at Lynah were a joke and that this Harvard team (in spite of recent performance) isn't that good, has little to no depth, and is about to lose their best player for 2+ weeks?

Last night's game does nothing to change any of the above. If Cornell fans want to get a hard on for beating this Harvard team, go for it. I hate to say it but it just is not a statement win.

Truth:
                            1) Harvard is not a great team this year
                            2) Cornell has not played anyone this year (completely untested) - likely played 1 tournament team thus far (Clarkson) and lost 4-0 at home
                            3) The last 5 minutes at Lynah saw Donato hooked on a breakaway (Cornell stick in midsection which is an automatic whistle reardless if tugged. Phantom call on Harvard D to give Cornell PP. Bench minor on a coach who is hardly known as a hot head in the ECAC because he did go nuts because of the series of horrendous calls and no calls by the stripes.

Harvard played 2 @Minny this year and while the scores may indicate decent games, Harvard was completely outclassed. Outshot almost 2x1 and Minnesota, while turning it on a bit as of late, is a fairly mediocre team this year out West. Minny also took care of Clarkson twice as well this year, but at least Clarkson played Providence, Western Michigan, etc and not Alabama Huntsville. I hate to rain on your parade (and maybe Cornell will ride that goalie to the top of the mountain), but I just don't see it. This is not the Cornell team circa 2003 (I think that was the year you guys lost to Wisco). Not even close.

Call it sour grapes. Call it hot air. Call it whatever you want. And I will be rooting hard for Cornell in the NCAAs like I always have.
                            Last edited by bothman; 01-27-2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

No matter that we may have outplayed and certainly outshot Cornell; what matters is the final score and we lost. So sour grapes or not, all that counts is on the scoreboard. I'm not pro on anyone in the ECAC going anywhere in the NCAAs this year. The conference just doesn't look all that strong.

As Both has pointed out, Harvard is average to mediocre. We haven't beaten a top team all year unless you count the Union OT win. What's disappointing to me is our D and goaltending. They were supposed to be the bulwark of the team and yet they have been subpar. Hard to understand what's going on. And given that Lackey started last night, I'm assuming that if Madsen isn't injured, that the coaching staff has seen enough and will go with Lackey down the stretch. At least we'll find out if he is worthy of being our #1 next year.

I said from the beginning of the year that we would be offensively challenged and that has proven to be the case. When Ryan leaves for South Korea, it could get ugly. I have no idea who is going to step up at this point. Krusko, Zerter-Gossage, Pelton-Byce, Floodstrand? A lot will fall on Badini's shoulders. I guess we just have to look at this season as a bridge to the next two years when more talent arrives.

Comment

Even with Clarkson having played a tough schedule we are bound to struggle at the national tournament IMO, with early season games it's tough to get a read on your team and Clarkson definitely took advantage of that. Clarkson has 4 losses on the year, Lowell at home, Minnesota on the road x2, Dartmouth at home, Dartmouth is the exception here, they were the only team that didn't press our defense on the forecheck and make them turn it over consistently (Clarkson just did that themselves). Teams like Cornell and Western Michigan give you space and try to keep you to the outside, those teams Clarkson will be successful against as long as the PP is clicking. The first half showed Clarkson playing at an extremely high level but the difference was when you're clicking at 30% on the PP and just under 90% on the PK you're going to be successful more times than not, that was not sustainable and we've seen a noticeable drop off. Clarkson also has an advantage over Cornell this year but that's only when special teams comes into play, for years under Casey we play Cornell tough nearly every game but when it comes down to crunch time Cornell has made the extra play and has ended up ending our season multiple times, those Cornell teams were better by a significant margin, I don't believe that's the case now. I'd say Cornell has the better defense and the better depth, Clarkson has the better goaltending (when Kielly is 100%) and the better top 6, a 5x5 dominated game Cornell probably has the better chance to win but that's usually not the case between those 2 teams.

Clarkson has a top 6 that consists of 4 sophomores and 2 freshmen, they will lose their 2 top defensemen next season and could lose more to the professional ranks but with a really good freshman class coming in Clarkson should only get better. Cornell has a few crucial seniors in Rauter and Yates but for the most part they're going to be returning basically everyone, Cornell seems to always replace big senior classes and be consistently successful, now they are going to be returning mostly everyone. I understand what bothman is getting at with the weak schedule, I also understand the Florida tournament messed a lot of things up with the schedule and not much could be done this year, with that said I do think it would benefit a team like Cornell who is ALWAYS consistently a top 4 ECAC team to really test themselves in the non-conference with teams they could potentially meet up with in March-April.

Cornell fans obviously are going to gloat over a sweep of Harvard, I still don't think you will want to meet this Harvard team on the big ice in Placid. I talked about the immediate future of Clarkson and Cornell and I believe those two teams will continue to be good for a long time. When you're talking about the future of Harvard then it may come down to admissions, if they somehow turn into a team with a lot of high end NHL draft picks balanced with some older leaders they will be a national threat until Donato calls it quits. He's a great coach with a lot of respect from NHL organizations who are starting to trust the college development process more and more. I also believe it could in the best interest for Donato to come back one more season and pick his NHL destination, the Bruins are loaded with young talent and ultimately you have to do what is best for your professional career.

Comment

Working...
                                X