Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
    FWIW, Sports Illustrated NHL article included a footnote on the US Olympic Team, mentioning Madsen (as well as Oettinger from BU) as a possible goalie for the Olympics.
    That's interesting because Madsen wasn't at the Plymouth, Michigan tournament this summer and if he isn't in Germany next month for that international tournament, I'd be surprised if they called his number for the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
      That's interesting because Madsen wasn't at the Plymouth, Michigan tournament this summer and if he isn't in Germany next month for that international tournament, I'd be surprised if they called his number for the Olympics.
      Most people expect USA to go with an experienced goaltender now playing in Europe
      Also if you are on National Junior team can't be picked
      That seems to eliminate Woll and Oettinger

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
        Most people expect USA to go with an experienced goaltender now playing in Europe
        Makes sense given that the European teams will have more experienced players than the US.

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
          I agree it will likely be European based goaltenders (although I think if they decide Woll and/or Oettinger are good enough for the Olympics, they should omit them from the WJC roster). But considering the best candidates are likely Ryan Zapolski (KHL), David Leggio (DHL), Jean-Phillipe Lamoureux (Austria), and [sigh] Andy Iles (EIHL) from the European contingent, they made decide they need to go into the collegiate ranks for at least one goalie. I don't even know if anyone would consider either of those last two leagues worthy enough to grab a goalie from.
          Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
          Go Crimson!

Comment

It will hurt but the Crim can probably afford to lose Donato and maybe Fox for a few games. Don't get me wrong -- when and if this causes us a few spots in the pairwise I'll be upset, but I think the positives of seeing our guys take center stage in the Olympics could be fair compensation.

Madsen, on the other hand, could really be crushing. I have little confidence in the goalie bench: between injuries, Lackey has had chances and hasn't worked out at all; Gornet needs to have a big development year to be ready; and Lee is hockey's equivalent of a camp arm.

On top of this all, if Madsen goes it will likely be as a backup. Would not enjoy seeing him wear a baseball cap in Korea while we lose 7-4.
            I know we’re going to win tonight.

I believe we’re going to win tonight.

Comment

Question for all here:

How do you guys consume Harvard Hockey? Curious about the following sources:

--WHRB

--The Crimson

--Harvard Athletics accounts

--ILDN

Because I can be fairly certain that this thread has some traction within the above outlets and the Athletic Department, it could be fun to discuss what we like about the coverage we have and what we want to see improved. I'll start:

--The Crimson. LIKE: the live tweeting (though Harvard Hockey's twitter account is really good), love the analysis within the game stories and hope it continues with the new writer. Seems like they get to almost every game as well, which can't be easy. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: the cliche features. I'd figure the Crimson has pretty good access and could probably give us a deeper look at times (some exceptions in last few years -- but generally the longform writing has been pretty vanilla).

--WHRB: LIKE: the idea of a student radio station. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: go to more games, prioritize closer to basketball. Realize you have at least some audience.

--HARVARD ATHLETICS: LIKE the video and the live tweeting. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: the podcast with Bernie Corbett was okay last year, but he's a BU guy. Would love to see us embrace our own identity in new media. I think Spaulding or even Sudikoff from the ILDN are more associated with Harvard Hockey and would be better hosts of such a program. I know he's the football radio voice, Corbett can't be watching a lot of Harvard Hockey given his other commitments.

--ILDN: I think the service has improved each year. Harvard's investment is by all accounts large and I think the quality reflects that. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: give me a consistent voice. I love Bill Spaulding and Scott Sudikoff would do as well. I don't like how they rotate 3-5 announcing teams.

Comment

New Forward Recruit for Harvard out of the AJHL for next fall (2000):

http://www.westernwheel.com/article/...going-20170215

Comment

Originally posted by TheyreVeryWellCoached View Post
                  It will hurt but the Crim can probably afford to lose Donato and maybe Fox for a few games. Don't get me wrong -- when and if this causes us a few spots in the pairwise I'll be upset, but I think the positives of seeing our guys take center stage in the Olympics could be fair compensation.

Madsen, on the other hand, could really be crushing. I have little confidence in the goalie bench: between injuries, Lackey has had chances and hasn't worked out at all; Gornet needs to have a big development year to be ready; and Lee is hockey's equivalent of a camp arm.

On top of this all, if Madsen goes it will likely be as a backup. Would not enjoy seeing him wear a baseball cap in Korea while we lose 7-4.
                  We can probably withstand not having Fox for a few games but not Donato. Ryan will be our most dangerous offensive player this year and without him, we'll really be hurting for offense. No disrespect to the remaining players but you can't lose Malone, Moy, Esposito and Kerfoot to graduation and then Donato to the Olympics and not feel it.

Comment

Question for all here:

How do you guys consume Harvard Hockey? Curious about the following sources:

--WHRB

--The Crimson

--Harvard Athletics accounts

--ILDN

Because I can be fairly certain that this thread has some traction within the above outlets and the Athletic Department, it could be fun to discuss what we like about the coverage we have and what we want to see improved. I'll start:

--The Crimson. LIKE: the live tweeting (though Harvard Hockey's twitter account is really good), love the analysis within the game stories and hope it continues with the new writer. Seems like they get to almost every game as well, which can't be easy. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: the cliche features. I'd figure the Crimson has pretty good access and could probably give us a deeper look at times (some exceptions in last few years -- but generally the longform writing has been pretty vanilla).

--WHRB: LIKE: the idea of a student radio station. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: go to more games, prioritize closer to basketball. Realize you have at least some audience.

--HARVARD ATHLETICS: LIKE the video and the live tweeting. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: the podcast with Bernie Corbett was okay last year, but he's a BU guy. Would love to see us embrace our own identity in new media. I think Spaulding or even Sudikoff from the ILDN are more associated with Harvard Hockey and would be better hosts of such a program. I know he's the football radio voice, Corbett can't be watching a lot of Harvard Hockey given his other commitments.

--ILDN: I think the service has improved each year. Harvard's investment is by all accounts large and I think the quality reflects that. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: give me a consistent voice. I love Bill Spaulding and Scott Sudikoff would do as well. I don't like how they rotate 3-5 announcing teams.
                    Not sure about your original thought of this thread being consumed inside the Harvard media outlets. What exactly about our posting would be of interest to them other than recruit news? I do know that one of the women's coaches and several players follow the Harvard women's thread. Just not sure about the media outlets.

That said, I follow the Harvard Twitter account and listen to 'HRB (hey, I'm a ghost) when I'm not at the games. About the lack of hockey coverage on 'HRB - I think that has more to do with the basketball program's rise in prominence. The hockey team's resurgence will most certainly get us back on the air consistently.

The big news this year is NESN discontinuing regular season coverage of HE in favor of separate deals with the local colleges. Harvard has several men's and women's games on NESN and NESN+ which is great for us.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                      New Forward Recruit for Harvard out of the AJHL for next fall (2000):

http://www.westernwheel.com/article/...going-20170215
                      Didn't his brother Colton go to Quinnipiac?

Comment

Didn't his brother Colton go to Quinnipiac?
                        Your thinking of Brandon Wong and their is no relation as Brandon from British Columbia and Austin is from Alberta.
                        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                        https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                          Your thinking of Brandon Wong and their is no relation as Brandon from British Columbia and Austin is from Alberta.
                          Yup, you're right. Thanks.

Comment

Not sure about your original thought of this thread being consumed inside the Harvard media outlets. What exactly about our posting would be of interest to them other than recruit news? I do know that one of the women's coaches and several players follow the Harvard women's thread. Just not sure about the media outlets.

That said, I follow the Harvard Twitter account and listen to 'HRB (hey, I'm a ghost) when I'm not at the games. About the lack of hockey coverage on 'HRB - I think that has more to do with the basketball program's rise in prominence. The hockey team's resurgence will most certainly get us back on the air consistently.

The big news this year is NESN discontinuing regular season coverage of HE in favor of separate deals with the local colleges. Harvard has several men's and women's games on NESN and NESN+ which is great for us.
                            Fair point. To add on to your point about women's coaches and players, I know the same to be true of the men's team. Definitely less traction in the media circles, but when I was there (I'm also an HRB Ghost) I know some others were reading because we'd discuss it from time to time.

I was really pleasantly surprised to see Harvard get so much traction on NESN, particularly on traditional NESN (NESN Plus was, ironically, only available outside of Boston when I was there. Not sure about now). By my count, 4 men's games on NESN and 2 more on NESN plus (not counting at least one Beanpot game on NESN). Women are also well represented with 3 games on NESN and 2 on plus / TBA.

Agree that basketball has crowded out hockey on WHRB. But as I understand it, the biggest issue is financial. Ad sales are almost non-existent and recent announcers were funding their own road trips. I hope things change but I think WHRB needs help to continue its commitment to Harvard sports and hockey in particular, because they'll hold on to football first and basketball second.

Comment

Agree that basketball has crowded out hockey on WHRB. But as I understand it, the biggest issue is financial. Ad sales are almost non-existent and recent announcers were funding their own road trips. I hope things change but I think WHRB needs help to continue its commitment to Harvard sports and hockey in particular, because they'll hold on to football first and basketball second.
                              Hmm, that's not good. I don't want to stray from talking hockey on this thread but as a 'ghost', this is very troubling to me. I'll drop an email to David Eliot to see if we shouldn't take up a GoFundMe campaign so that the kids don't have to fund their road trips. That just shouldn't happen.

Comment

Hmm, that's not good. I don't want to stray from talking hockey on this thread but as a 'ghost', this is very troubling to me. I'll drop an email to David Eliot to see if we shouldn't take up a GoFundMe campaign so that the kids don't have to fund their road trips. That just shouldn't happen.
                                This sadly wouldn't surprise me - we were lucky enough to have enough east coast people when I was there, including myself, that we saved on hotel costs for several trips, which gave us money to play with, and when we had a big trip we could often get extra advertising for that game only to make up the funds (thinking of the first time we covered NCAA basketball). I wonder if the sales department should be encouraged to reach out to stores like Hockey Monkey and others for sports ads...

The other thing is that for 'HRB, sports interests are dictated somewhat by the interest of the student broadcasters and by what program has more prominence. Right now that's basketball on both counts. Which is the same for the Crimson - when I was covering the men's and women's teams for WHRB, the Crimson couldn't get anyone to write about hockey, so it became the job for the new writers to work their way up. As a result their coverage was absolutely awful. When I left they got in a few writers who knew the game already, and they and WHRB coexisted well, and then WHRB lost a lot of their hockey broadcasters to graduation and now its the Crimson with a lot better hockey coverage (which kills me).
                                Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                                Go Crimson!

Comment

Working...
                                X